Nesf

Your first memory

Sofi
You sound just like Harry, he's very bright but he struggles with English and writing (no one can read it lol) and he hates reading fiction.  To be honest I think half the things they learn at school are a waste of time and people should never be judged by how many exams they have.  Sometimes those with the most qualifications can be the most stupid lol.

That is nice you say I sound just like Harry  :P I struggled a lot with English too - I started on the 'normal' English exam course but I couldn't grasp it at all, it is really difficult to interpret the text of fiction in the way the questions were asking, so in the end I took a lower level foundation course (I still failed it but it was easier!) I found it a waste of time as well, what is the point in analyzing some piece of writing?! I agree a lot of what is taught at school seems stupid. I like to learn about what I am interested in. 

iggy
That is nice you say I sound just like Harry  :P I struggled a lot with English too - I started on the 'normal' English exam course but I couldn't grasp it at all, it is really difficult to interpret the text of fiction in the way the questions were asking, so in the end I took a lower level foundation course (I still failed it but it was easier!) I found it a waste of time as well, what is the point in analyzing some piece of writing?! I agree a lot of what is taught at school seems stupid. I like to learn about what I am interested in. 

I have learnt that you can get a good mark in English especially poems if you can spot a metaphor, similar, rhyme and maybe a couple of other things. I make up the effect, and apparently it is acceptable.

I also struggle with neat handwriting - I don't write joined up! School exam courses are stupid though.

For example - my biology specification teaches that viruses are not alive, and also that they are killed by the immune system. Silly people.

Nesf
Interesting topic!  I'm not sure which one of these is my  earliest memory, and I was either 3 or 4 because they were both when I was at "pre-school" which I went to for two years.

One was: I would be playing in the "house centre" and then some other kids would come to play and I'd walk away to play on my own.. like to this "beauty" station/vanity mirror thing for kids.

Two was: I was sitting at one of the little tables.. I think colouring or drawing or something, and the teacher came up to me with a plate of snacks (I remember things like celery with raisins and peanut butter and things like that.. kid friendly healthy snacks).  I think I remember her bending down to talk to me with them, also asking why I was by myself or whether I wanted to join.

Later on, I read a preschool report that said something about other kids actually offering to play with me but I declined.  I didn't realized that at the time, I always just preferred to play by myself at pre-school. 

I didn't like playing with other kids, either. I just wasn't interested. Looking at insects crawling in the grass was much more interesting. I preferred to be alone. My earliest Kindergarten memory was being punished - can't remember what it was about, I think I wasn't playing nicely with the other kids. i got sent to the corner, and I remember hearing the hum of a vehicle very far away.. somehow the sound was comforting.

Yeah I didn't have a speech delay that I know of and I think most of my behaviors could've been seen as normal but just more extreme in some cases.. especially shyness. And my parents were accepting of those little differences, and just sort of encouraged me to be more social?  Because I think that was always my most AS thing.. my shyness and social awkwardness.  And when I was younger I did really good in school I think and always focussed on school but got anxious when it came to recess and lunch more so because they were unorganized.  I think this sort of fits with first memory since it's all about early experiences sort of. :P I'll try not say much more and go way off though.  :P

I was very shy too, mainly in my teenage years. Everyone thought I was too shy and not communicative and confident enough,

I agree with you too, I wonder how different I would be now had I gone to a mainstream secondary school. I wish my mum had, had your thoughts on that too. Maybe she thought I totally was not capable of it. I used to go to the mainstream school with my key worker occasionally, for things like Home Economics class (cooking), woodwork class and an art club at their school, after school, and if their school was doing a school play, I went to help them paint the stage or something. Not very often and it didn't exactly do much for my integration. I also think it is good for the other kids to realise that some people have differences and it's okay and you can still be friends with them at school. 

Maybe the reason with me was because I was not at the right level in the academic classes, I would never have been able to keep up with the work content. I did different work and did lower level exam courses. But, the thing is, I'm not stupid, I'm really intelligent but just at what I know - not intelligent by IQ standards but I have a huge knowledge and interest about lots of subjects, just not stuff schools care about.... 

I'm sure the choice of school can't have been easy and your mum wanted to make the best decision for you... I hope your abilities at the subjects you were interested in were recognised at your school and you were encouraged to pursue them? You do seem to have a lot of knowledge about a wide range of subjects. I'm like this too, I'm good at remembering facts about things I'm interested in, but just don't ask me to do things like solve mathematical equations!!!

spiderwoman0_2

I hated English and Maths at school and didn't know why we had to bother with the poems of D H Lawrence, I was useless at comparing his poems and really didn't give a shit about them (sorry for swearing lol :P ) it's a lot more fun learning about the things you're interested in.

Nesf
I have learnt that you can get a good mark in English especially poems if you can spot a metaphor, similar, rhyme and maybe a couple of other things. I make up the effect, and apparently it is acceptable. I also struggle with neat handwriting - I don't write joined up! School exam courses are stupid though. For example - my biology specification teaches that viruses are not alive, and also that they are killed by the immune system. Silly people.

I never learnt to write joined up... my teachers gave up trying to teach me, literally!!! I have very bad handwriting.

iggy
I never learnt to write joined up... my teachers gave up trying to teach me, literally!!! I have very bad handwriting.
I just write small and put the letters so close they are touching! But writing small makes it messy too! Apparently I hold my pen wrong too...

Spiderman0_2

My first memory is of standing at the front door as my mum went off in an ambulance to give birth to my brother (I was just over 2)

I wasn't too great at English, and only just scraped a C at GCSE at English (Language and Literature). I just wasn't much good at writing stories and interpretation of various other stories (We studied Hamlet, The Crucible and poems by Wilfred Owen)

I did do classical studies (Greek and Roman mythology) up until I was 13/14 but the teacher retired so it never carried on.

I was more science and maths orientated as in most cases with those subjects its either right or wrong :)

Nesf
I hated English and Maths at school and didn't know why we had to bother with the poems of D H Lawrence, I was useless at comparing his poems and really didn't give a shit about them (sorry for swearing lol :P ) it's a lot more fun learning about the things you're interested in.

We had to analyse poetry at school and I hated it, I was hopeless at it. My teacher didn't think I'd pass the exam and said I had a tendency to misinterpret. I have an aversion to poetry... I never saw the point of it, why can't people just say things directly? I much prefer prose, but not the flowery kind.

Sofi
I wasn't too great at English, and only just scraped a C at GCSE at English (Language and Literature). I just wasn't much good at writing stories and interpretation of various other stories (We studied Hamlet, The Crucible and poems by Wilfred Owen)

I did do classical studies (Greek and Roman mythology) up until I was 13/14 but the teacher retired so it never carried on.

I was more science and maths orientated as in most cases with those subjects its either right or wrong :)

I am obsessed with Greek and Roman mythology, but my school did not offer me classical studies. I am sure I would have been capable of that and getting a good mark  :D All I have learnt about that is from my own time and research,

I am more interested in science than English as well (but not maths - I have no maths ability!) 

Willow

I'm really behind with this thread - I will post my memories and then come back to finish reading everyone else's!

I think I struggle to actually remember early on things, rather than just remembering things from photographs. I know I remember falling off my bike when I was 5 because there was no photographs of that. I remember being sat in the ditch where I landed and wanting to cry because it felt like everything hurt, but I was scared of my Dad so I didn't. I was 4 or 5.

I also remember burning my finger on the oven when I was about 3 or 4. Then I remember hiding it and then later telling my Mum on a bench in town, because I was drinking from a see through bottle and she saw the blister.

I have vague memories of a party at a friends house when I was probably 2 or 3...but really it's so vague I can't say more than that!

I remember sitting with my jigsaw puzzle pieces in a mixing bowl with a wooden spoon and playing with them. This was when I was under 4 I think.

Also, our sofa had little tassles along the bottom and you could untwizzle them, and I did that a lot, then let go and they'd twizzle back up. Then, our carpet was quite deep...like the pile was, high? I don't know, but I could push my fingers into it and I like how it felt. I also remember putting my forehead against walls because I liked how cold it was. This was all...3 or 4 I think.

I remember lots of other negative things about my life before my parents got divorced but...meh.