Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LizW95

Apple Mac or not to mac - that is the question...

LizW95

Do I - Don't I? 

Any ideas? If so what's my best option? 

Andy

Well, I did it, I switched from Windows Vista to Macbook Pro and this is what I will say ;

With Mac, everything just works and it works sweetly with no fuss or messing about, except if you are unlucky and get the infamous Wi-Fi problem, it doesn't affect all Macs, just some  and mine is one of them unfortunately, but I have worked out a work around, hardly ideal on such an expensive machine but I can deal with it.

Other than that, Macs are very well built and tough, well featured and pleasing in design also very stylish. The interface is intuitive that is why they are usually specced for people with learning difficulties. The Macbook Pro, the battery lasts about 6 to 8 hours per charge.

A negative I would say, is that buying into Mac, you are effectively locking yourself into Apple's way of doing things, that being other manufacturers products don't interface too well with Mac OS or at all in some cases unless you run Parallels, so you are locked into I-phone, I-pod etc if you wish for other devices to interface.

The only other negative is aforementioned Wi-Fi issue, but forewarned is forearmed, if you do get a Mac and you have Wi-Fi issues and the thing is in warranty get them to replace the machine, accept no repair or suggestion because Apple know about this problem and have yet to find a solution which so far looks like it could be a manufacturing error with components which other companies have made to be included in the machine.

Also it could be worth while taking out the extended warranty as Macs are expensive, but in my opinion worth every penny and despite my wi-fi problems, I will be purchasing Apple in the future and when I can afford it, replace my Creative Zen M with an I-pod Classic and when I have a use for a smart phone it will be the I-phone as the Apple System when using all their products works seamlessly.

Willow

I would say if you go for it, keep your PC, otherwise if the change to Mac proves too much, you can just switch back, and if needs be, sell the Mac. I would only have a Mac Book or whatever their laptops are called. I could never have anything other than a Windows PC - I'm too stuck in my ways! I do want an Apple laptop though, mainly for the high resolution screen :D

Andy

That is a good point, macs hold their price whereas pc, are binnable once bought and used.

But I forgot about the high res screen Willow mentioned and it is excellent compared the the grotty old pc lappy i have.

mary

I used to think that I'd never move on from PC but once I had a Mac I was stuck on them and although I work on PCs at work, I really do wish we didn't have to.  I now have a Macbook pro... and I love it :) 

Macs just work so much easier and seem much more intuitive to use.

Andy

The other thing is Mac's don't seem to suffer so much malware and virus issues, although my Mac came with a comprehensive active virus and malware scanner that in two years of licence never found anything.

Willow

I guess, seen as I've never had a mac, I could be swayed. But I can't see it. I definitely want a Mac Book though :D

Andy

Also the unibody Macbook Pro, machined out of one slab of aluminium is a massive heat sink, that being when these things are working hard and I do push mine heavily with Adobe Design Standard crunching multi layer large files it gets hot but nowhere near as hot as pc's and bearing in mind heat is the enemy to electronics, one can understand why these machines last so well. But they are cold in the winter on first start up, cold to touch.

But as the video says ; Obsessive attention to detail is what the MBP is, it could almost be an aspie inspired machine ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.