Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andy

Slow Internet lately ?

Heather

Oh thank you for that!  I'm going to load it... but as I'm experiencing slow internet right now, it's going to be awhile.  That might be the reason why I have been having slow internet lately.  Though for  the past little while, my internet is off and on either really good for awhile and then suddenly really bad... but perhaps lately it is due to this?  Though I could not read the whole thing.. because it is late and that text is too heavy for my brain to read when it's tired.. and I'm not sure when I could read it.  But it's funny how you posted this and I've just been experiencing a bout of slow internet. :( 

Andy

What I understand is happening is there is an anti spam company that has labelled some internet companies as spammers, which is most likely what they are, but these companies which appear to be in the Netherlands have taken exception to being labelled spammers and so they have attacked the anti spam company with guess what, loads of spam, but it is believed to be the biggest spam attack to date.

Effects being reported is the slow internet and web users getting unusual emails and so I have wondered about some that got through my spam filters, but as I do my usual hover the cursor over the sender to find out the origin, I didn't recognise any of the addresses, so I binned them for good measure.

But peoples, keep an eye on your emails, anything suspicious bin it.

Oh and this information I got off an American forum I use where apparently it's all over the news in the US, but curiously not here but then, the servers that are being attacked are in the US and it has caused some havoc to their business users. Where it gets us I suppose is if anything we use is routed through the US.

Nesf

This would explain a lot of things... I've been getting some rather weird emails recently, and the internet is really slow... it's slow anyway because it's a rural area, but it shouldn't be this slow. Thanks for the heads up :)

Spiderman0_2

Its a distributed denial of service attack on the DNS servers of spamhaus. It was sparked when Spamhaus accused Cyberbunker (in the Netherlands) of being a front for criminal gangs from Eastern Europe and Russia.

The fact this attack took place does kind of re-enforce spamhaus' point....

(Spamhaus' server databases are used by lots of ISPs to decide if data is spam or not)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21954636

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.