Sofi

Sofi's Support Thread

Heather

Don't worry Sofi, you're going to be great.  :D  I think having background noise at all times would be great because a silent house is a scarier house. :(  I know you'll be fine though and it'll be great afterwards when you can say you did it!  And we'll talk a lot when I'm not working so it'll be okay. :)  This was a good idea for a thread though. :D

Toran
Yes - that is what happened to us. It took my mum a long time to clean the whole room due to the soot and mess the birds made :( Terrified of this happening again. 

We have some clear mesh over the chimney now I think my dad did it many years ago and as far as I know its still up there and we haven't had a bird in the room for some time so it must be working still.

spiderwoman0_2

Sounds like you could do with some mesh over the chimney to stop things getting down :D

Nesf
Yeah, I think I will need to keep listening to something to disguise/distract me from any small noises but I know any noise I hear will be nothing! (Most likely!) I will also continue to wear my ear plugs at night when I do try to sleep to stop me hearing any noises, to give me a chance of sleep at least!

Thank you  :)

Morning Sofi (er... afternoon, I should say) Hope you slept ok last night. I have to wear earplugs every night to sleep because the tiniest noise wakes me up and if I don't know what the noise is it can be scary, especially if I'm alone. My imagination runs riot and I imagine all sorts of things, the thing that worried me the most is burglars, so I prefer to leave the TV on with the sound off and a light on in another room and I feel a lot more secure. The foam or sponge earplugs are more comfortable, I don't like the silicon or wax ones. We have dogs that bark if anyone is round the house and that makes me feel more secure... but I'm not ever on my own here anyway.

Is this the first time you will be on your own?

Sofi
Sounds like you could do with some mesh over the chimney to stop things getting down :D

Yes, that sounds like a great idea. I will ask my mum about that... when she's in a better mood! She's put cardboard up it for now and I will be blocking the front of the fireplace with chairs, boxes etc. just to calm my mind lol 

Morning Sofi (er... afternoon, I should say) Hope you slept ok last night. I have to wear earplugs every night to sleep because the tiniest noise wakes me up and if I don't know what the noise is it can be scary, especially if I'm alone. My imagination runs riot and I imagine all sorts of things, the thing that worried me the most is burglars, so I prefer to leave the TV on with the sound off and a light on in another room and I feel a lot more secure. The foam or sponge earplugs are more comfortable, I don't like the silicon or wax ones. We have dogs that bark if anyone is round the house and that makes me feel more secure... but I'm not ever on my own here anyway.

Is this the first time you will be on your own?

Afternoon  :P Yeah, I wear my earplugs without fail every night, and at any other time of day when there is a noise irritating me! Mine are the foam ones, I definitely find them more comfortable than the silicone ones. I have 20 pairs, which I can wash and reuse several times so these will last me a long time!

My imagination is the same, with even the smallest noise so it's best to keep a noise going to drown anything out!

No, my mum and brother have gone away on holiday a couple of times in the past before and I've never liked it, some times it's been a disaster but I realise I'm also older now, so hopefully be able to cope a little better... Still not looking forward to it, apart from the break from my mum. 

Nesf
Yes, that sounds like a great idea. I will ask my mum about that... when she's in a better mood! She's put cardboard up it for now and I will be blocking the front of the fireplace with chairs, boxes etc. just to calm my mind lol 

Afternoon  :P Yeah, I wear my earplugs without fail every night, and at any other time of day when there is a noise irritating me! Mine are the foam ones, I definitely find them more comfortable than the silicone ones. I have 20 pairs, which I can wash and reuse several times so these will last me a long time!

My imagination is the same, with even the smallest noise so it's best to keep a noise going to drown anything out!

No, my mum and brother have gone away on holiday a couple of times in the past before and I've never liked it, some times it's been a disaster but I realise I'm also older now, so hopefully be able to cope a little better... Still not looking forward to it, apart from the break from my mum. 

I tried wearing my foam earplugs for my mum's radio when I was working on the translation I was doing because the it really distracted me and got on my nerves, but they block out the high frequencies but not the low bass ones, so I can still hear it.

I'm sure being alone will get easier as you get older, and you will gradually become more independent. It won't be for long and there are people around if you need them. As has already been said before, the best thing is to keep yourself busy and distracted, and try not to dwell on the fact that you're alone. I often forget to do things too, such as putting more feul on the fire and then it goes out - I really need to write lists but I'm too lazy or disorganised to do it, and I forget to put things on the list when I write them.  Just stick to your daily routine and you'll remember to do things - you could write a list out with your mum of all the things you need to do and tick them off as you do them :)

Annaflower

Hi Sofi, how are you doing? Do you have lots of things planned for the weekend? I always find that if I keep busy my mind doesn't have the chance to get into a panic. My current project is redecorating and redesigning my living room. So far we have painted the walls a warm grey and have put up some new white idea bookcases. I am now trying to put everything on the shelves in a way that looks nice. I have ordered a couple of Willows photos to go on the walls. I love planning stuff and, as I said, it keeps my mind active on positive things.

Perhaps you could plan a welcome home lunch or tea for your Mum for when they get back? You could make decorations and bake some cakes.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow x x

Willow
Hi Sofi, how are you doing? Do you have lots of things planned for the weekend? I always find that if I keep busy my mind doesn't have the chance to get into a panic. My current project is redecorating and redesigning my living room. So far we have painted the walls a warm grey and have put up some new white idea bookcases. I am now trying to put everything on the shelves in a way that looks nice. I have ordered a couple of Willows photos to go on the walls.

Yes keeping busy is always good :D

My Mum re-decorates a LOT hehe. Oh, and I ordered the photo's to be printed the day you ordered them, but I'm having them sent to me first so I can check them and bundle them with the usual stuff (I send stickers out with every order :D) so I will let you know when I've actually posted them to you :D

Sofi
Hi Sofi, how are you doing? Do you have lots of things planned for the weekend? I always find that if I keep busy my mind doesn't have the chance to get into a panic. My current project is redecorating and redesigning my living room. So far we have painted the walls a warm grey and have put up some new white idea bookcases. I am now trying to put everything on the shelves in a way that looks nice. I have ordered a couple of Willows photos to go on the walls. I love planning stuff and, as I said, it keeps my mind active on positive things.

Perhaps you could plan a welcome home lunch or tea for your Mum for when they get back? You could make decorations and bake some cakes.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow x x

Thank you so much for your message, it means a lot to me  :D My mum & brother have lot long left and I was in a bit of a panic before and after they left, but I'm feeling sort of okay now. I don't feel as bad as I would if I did not have the support of this forum and the people I have met from here  :)

I will be trying to keep as busy as possible, probably just with my games and films and I bought a new book the other day, I'm looking forward to read. It is part of a series of book I read. Those things will usually keep me busy and I also have to try to remember to do essential things. I have failed a bit already about the shower/bath situation but it's okay, I'll just deal with it the best I can. 

Your living room redecoration sounds nice - my mum loves DIY stuff like that too, she is always buying frames and painting things. She is always in Hobbycraft! She recently assembled a huge bookcase on the landing upstairs for all our books, which is useful. She refuses to hire any joiners/electricians, she likes to do everything herself, which she usually manages. 

I'm glad you are getting some of Willow's photos, that will look nice. I just have a little photo, but I might put it in a small glass frame which I think we have some of in the house. You should take a photo of the wall with Willow's photographs on, after it's finished and post it.

I Hope things are going well.

Thank you  :D  Things are going okay so far, I'm not doing too bad!! I'm so grateful for the support I've had so far.

I might look at downloading some films soon