LizW95

Full Time or Part Time Work - Which do you do?

LizW95

I'm asking this because I'm not sure I can cope with full time work. 

My work day starts at 7.30am so am up between 6 and 6.30am and I finish at 4pm - I am absolutely warn out by the time I get home and have no energy for the night - I would love to do things in the evening like going for a walk or bike ride ect but even going for a shower I struggle and really have to make myself go!

I struggled with school as well, my mother says I would always come home warn out - I think that was because I had to constantly double process everything, the noise, the lights and so on.

I am scared (Hate the word but it is better than paranoid) that if I go to part time people would treat me differently and I would be thinking that they would be saying or thinking that if I can't cope with full time work then I won't be able to do anything in life.

I feel as if I was pushed into full time work...I didn't have a say in it, it was like 'right, your doing this and that's it'

I hope you know what I mean and I haven't confused you (I confuse myself all the time)

I could do with some advice.

mary

My work day starts at 7.30am so am up between 6 and 6.30am and I finish at 4pm - I am absolutely warn out by the time I get home and have no energy for the night - I would love to do things in the evening like going for a walk or bike ride ect but even going for a shower I struggle and really have to make myself go!

I struggled with school as well, my mother says I would always come home warn out - I think that was because I had to constantly double process everything, the noise, the lights and so on.

I am scared (Hate the word but it is better than paranoid) that if I go to part time people would treat me differently and I would be thinking that they would be saying or thinking that if I can't cope with full time work then I won't be able to do anything in life.

I feel as if I was pushed into full time work...I didn't have a say in it, it was like 'right, your doing this and that's it'

I hope you know what I mean and I haven't confused you (I confuse myself all the time)

Aside from when I was still at school and had a part time job I have always worked full time.  I guess I never knew any different so it's not been as hard for me as it might have been for others.  I have always felt that I was weird or didn't fit in with the others that I have worked with though, and whilst I've sometimes made friends with people it's not been very often or on a great scale.

I know what you mean about feeling worn out by the end of a day though and it can be worse on some days rather than others for me.  I find it particularly mentally exhausting if there has been some kind of conflict at work, no matter what that may be.  I also find it difficult if people won't just let me get on with my job and try to interfere, even if they have no reason to.

One thing I'm a little confused about is why you'd think that people would treat you differently if you went part time?  I don't see people any differently if they work part time at all... there are often many reasons why people might want to do that.  I actually had someone suggest that I should think about reducing my hours at work due to my physical health but I didn't want to do that... but that was a personal choice.  I know others who work part time and are happy with their decision.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide though, but just try not to worry about what others will think, as they most likely won't think any differently of you if you work part time or full time :)

Megsmum

I work part time and I have done since my girls were born. They are teenagers now and I'm sure people think I should be working full time again now, but we all have to do what we feel is right for us and try not to worry what others think. I always knew that my youngest daughter was different and needed more support so I always stuck to part time despite comments from others about how I could work more hours now. We only got her diagnosis late last year, so it shows that my gut instinct was right, she needed me more than I needed full time work!I

How flexible are the company you work for? If they would allow you to reduce your hours, then give it a go. Would you like to reduce the amount of days you work or the amount of hours you work each day? Would you like this to be a permanent change or a temporary one until you feel more able to cope with everything? I hope this is not making your decision harder!

Do what you feel is best for you and don't worry about what other people think. They are not living the life you live and they are not trying to cope with the difficulties that you face every day.

I hope things improve for you soon.

Willow

It's a good idea, Annaflower, to think about whether the part time should be less days a week, or less hours a day. I'd not thought of that to suggest, but if the company are flexible, it would be nice to have those choices and find what feels best. Less hours per day might be nice so you can still have the same routine everyday, rather than a routine for complete days off and then the work routine.

There are plenty of reasons why people choose part time work, so people wouldn't think anything less of you, I don't think.

I have never had a proper job - my fiancé works full time though and he hates it so much. We're working as hard as we can with a business of our own and we're hoping that we can get enough money from it once it launches to replace his wage so he can quit. We get by on just one wage, so I can spend my time on my work - like the videos and this forum :)

Heather

I have a part time job with flexible hours, though sometimes work closer to full time hours (like the past few weeks, most likely due to spring break).  I get really tired out from working full time.  I like the shorter shifts, like 6 hours because it's not so long as 7 or 8 feels and it's not as 4 or 5 so I can still feel good about working.  I also like to have at least a couple days off a week because I need that relaxation time from my job.  My job stresses me out so much.  I don't think I could handle what some people who I work with do... work full time or even beyond.  They have to because they live on their own and their costs are higher.  Thankfully I will be quitting there in just over 3 months and going on holiday to be with my boyfriend and then start university.. like a full time job but it's something I'm definitely more interested in and will do better with.  And that will prepare me for work I actually want to do! :D

I say go for it.  If you can survive on having less hours, you don't need to work full time!  Work a bit less per day or less days per week, or both.  :)  Even just to try it out.  Good luck. :)

Toran

Your fully justified in doing what you feel right for you and it has no baring on other people and they should be supportive of you in doing what's best given your reasons. People are to quick to judge they will tell you what they think you should do from family to strangers and their opinions. You do what you feel you must do, experience teaches you that whatever you do will be judged by someone and worrying about what others think is exhausting beside your personal reasons. If you feel because of your diagnosis its best for you then go for it what's best for you. There is help and assistance the national autistic society for one or ask your doctor for a referral because of how your feeling and what you struggling with. Sometimes this helps sometimes it doesn't but your doing something to try and help yourself then you have information on which to help you make your choice. If other people see what your going through and what your trying to do for your needs then if they don't support you they are quite frankly part of the problem and their expectations do not take into account your place on the autistic spectrum so they are creating more problems due to their lack of caring or understanding. I may have a confrontational approach which is strange as I don't like confrontation but sitting in silence and observing all this and doing nothing makes things many times worse in the end.

Nesf

I had the same problem, and was able to reduce my hours, which was a lot better, I was more relaxed and able to cope. Certainly it will make a difference to your mood and how you feel about work, it's easier to cope in short bursts. You should talk to your boss about reducing your hours or going onto part time, though, of course, this will mean your taking a pay cut.

When I came home from school I just wanted to be alone and undisturbed, so went straight into the bath and spent at least an hour in it.

weebo

I work part time in the Disney store, but i often do a lot more hous more so in holidays, christmas time if very hard to deal with but i get thought it knowing that my ours will go back down aagain after, i dont thik i could cope with full time for ever its to mush like others say there is so much to prosses though the day that by the time you get home from work your to tired to do anything and thats hard.

StormCrow

I use to work full time Civil Engineering and Land Surveying with a little bit of Environmental Engineering thrown in,

until I was laid off. I've decided to go back to college, and now am part time Painting houses.

If I like what I'm doing then full time, but If I don't get a job I like then it's Part time.

Andy

I can cope with full time work no problem, I am well practised, the question is can employers cope with me ?

My past is I was always good at what I did even exemplary, what I did I took personally but many a past employer hated me for me and I have heard that many times in my work history, I am me whatever I am but no matter what I tried to be at least tolerated, I always rubbed my employers up the wrong way in every job I have ever held.

Now I believe I am flawed, why or what I have no idea because I have tried every way possible  known to me, I just annoy employers.

And so as regards work, I would like to, but given my experience , I can't take any more negativity from employers regards me in this employers market. I know full well I start work again in a very short time I will be a whole lot worse off which to me with self destructive tendencies, my mind goes very dark and compels me to follow.