LizW95

Full Time or Part Time Work - Which do you do?

Toran
Best wishes for your return to work. I will also be returning to work soon, I have been on the sick since February.

I work in a very busy, very noisy office with about ten staff in the room packed in like sardines. When we are busy we are all on the phones talking at the same time. It is not unusual to hear the colleague sitting next to me louder than the caller on my own phone, also there is the relentless noise of the radio in the background to contend with. We also have to deal with requests streaming in from a fax machine, requests from internal and external emails and staff queries also need to be dealt with. I cannot multi-task and needless to say I get exhausted.

On my lunch-break I usually go looking for an empty room I can use just to have some peace for half hour as the staff-room provides no respite from noise with the TV always on and staff coming and going speaking on their mobiles.

I have to say that the staff are friendly but don't seem to understand that I need to be left alone to get on with my job. This lack of understanding led me to have some kind of meltdown in work and a couple of weeks later I went sick as I could not cope.

My GP has said I can return to work soon. I have been referred to a consultant psychiatrist and am waiting for a date for that. Meantime I will be returning to work without a diagnosis.

I can really understand how you feel I cant cope with a lot of different things at the same time either. I find it very difficult to deal with what you described I worked in an office for about two and a half years before I left. I started working as a driver so a lot of the time im on my own just the odd delivery.

Having a refural can take a long time I know and it can be very frustrating but at least your on the waiting list which is better than nothing I suppose. Its awful having to go back to work without a conclusion but we know how we feel its just confirmation really after a life time being this way we know our proplems and AS fits eveything.

Your right when you say people dont understand they expect us to be like them I gave up trying to explain and give reasons to people and youl be surprised as to how much better you feel when you stop worrying and trying to make people understand.

Xmas
I can empathise with that I would like a change too but after six years its a bit scarey to change especially like you said there are so few jobs available at the moment.

Yes I totally agree with that, even after finding another job, there is the nightmare of upheaval and change to contend with.

Toran
Yes I totally agree with that, even after finding another job, there is the nightmare of upheaval and change to contend with.

Even though I feel like a change its that thought that stops me more so than having to apply for jobs and attend interviews. Even if you get the job theres alwalys that uncertainty that you have come to terms with in your current job.

Bruce

For Xmas, you'll have to weigh up the advantages versus disadvantages for yourself, then. Staying in the current environment will, sooner or later, almost inevitably lead to serious problems, right?

Xmas
I can really understand how you feel I cant cope with a lot of different things at the same time either. I find it very difficult to deal with what you described I worked in an office for about two and a half years before I left. I started working as a driver so a lot of the time im on my own just the odd delivery. Having a refural can take a long time I know and it can be very frustrating but at least your on the waiting list which is better than nothing I suppose. Its awful having to go back to work without a conclusion but we know how we feel its just confirmation really after a life time being this way we know our proplems and AS fits eveything. Your right when you say people dont understand they expect us to be like them I gave up trying to explain and give reasons to people and youl be surprised as to how much better you feel when you stop worrying and trying to make people understand.

Yes I agree, after a life-time of wondering why I am like this, AS seems to answer every question I ever had. People in work will have to either take me or leave me as I am.

Toran
Yes I agree, after a life-time of wondering why I am like this, AS seems to answer every question I ever had. People in work will have to either take me or leave me as I am.

Thats all you can do and its the best thing for you personally whatever they do or say never let it effect you if you can just protect ourselves to the best of our abilitys.

Xmas
For Xmas, you'll have to weigh up the advantages versus disadvantages for yourself, then. Staying in the current environment will, sooner or later, almost inevitably lead to serious problems, right?

I know, I am going to have to face this sooner or later. I have a sickness review at the end of the week, I am focussing on that for the moment. 

Toran
I know, I am going to have to face this sooner or later. I have a sickness review at the end of the week, I am focussing on that for the moment. 

Can you ask at your sickness review about waiting to see about the outcome of your referal then it can be assessed if any workplace adaptions could be made for you. I have been granted some adaptions because my doctor wrote them a letter saying about my condition and the fact she has refered me for an autism assessment. Its not a perfect answer but may make work more barable give you more time as well to see how you feel. Then you could be covered by the equality act 2010 so you have to be protected to a certain degree more so than you are at the moment.

spiderwoman0_2

Glad all went well today Toran :D