iggy

Films

iggy

I thought, we have a thread on music, books, hobbies, and films you grew up with and others similar, so why not a films thread? I'm not actually much of a film watcher. Normally I either get completely consumed by the film that I've watched and obsess over it, but more often I get bored halfway through. I seem to have quite an unusual way of deciding if ill watch a film or not, most people I know just watch it and then decide if its good. I rarely do this without significant reccomendations from someone.

I very recently saw "How to train your dragon" and I am convinced the writer based his dragons on kittens. I loved it, despite me not usually liking films. I also saw pitch black, which was quite good. When I was younger I got bored with films, and didn't understand even films like Cinderella, which I had been read the book of so should have understood it. I still have no patience for some films, particularly romance in films, it's so boring.

With books being turned into films..... I love and hate then at the same time. I saw Harry potter and the philosophers stone before I read any of the books, and it is the only film I can accept the differences/cuts from the book, because they missed so many important plot points out of particularly the later ones. Most people I know who only watch happy potter not read don't have a clue what happened really. At the same time, I love the films because they are part of a book that I enjoyed, and I can see the characters which fixes my mental image of them for rereading the book.

Another thing is the soundtrack of films - sometimes I will obsess over the soundtrack which eventually leads me to watch the film. This happened to me to get me to watch inception, and I think it will make me watch Brave at some point too!

Anyone like films? What films? How often do you watch films?

Sofi

I'm not really hugely into films either but I have a small selection of favourite films which I really love and can watch over and over and still love them the same. I find they are films which other people don't seem to like as much. My all-time favourite film is 'About a Boy', from 2002, starring Hugh Grant. I find that I relate to the film so much and I feel that, each time I watch it despite having seen it numerous times, I can always take something new from it! Others of my favouries are - The Pursuit of Happyness, Riding in Cars with Boys, Garden State & A Beautiful Mind. I also really like Napoleon Dynamite, which is a comedy that I just find hilarious! 

I also enjoy sci-fi films, such as the Star Trek films and the X-Men films. 

I like the Disney & Pixar films more now than I am older too. I have recently watched Tangled a lot. I used to have a bit of an obsession with Pixar animation. 

So, I guess I like a variety of different films but I'm not really all that into films. I find it difficult to sit down and stay focused on an entire film length and I'm terrible at following storylines! My concentration and attention is bad for films! 

With books being turned into films, I find that if I have read the book first, I will find it a lot easier to follow the film because I know the story and I know what is roughly going to happen. However, if the film isn't as good as the book (for example, 'The Golden Compass') it's really disappointing :( Sometimes, I don't want to watch a film in case it ruins the story for me! 

Nesf

I don't watch films that often, but ones that I've particularly enjoyed are:

Ben X http://www.imdb.co.uk/title/tt0953318/

Stanley Kubrick's Space Odyssey 2001

Life of Brian (Monty Python)

Time Bandits

The Truman Show

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

The Stepford Wives

Nesf
I'm not really hugely into films either but I have a small selection of favourite films which I really love and can watch over and over and still love them the same. I find they are films which other people don't seem to like as much. My all-time favourite film is 'About a Boy', from 2002, starring Hugh Grant. I find that I relate to the film so much and I feel that, each time I watch it despite having seen it numerous times, I can always take something new from it! Others of my favouries are - The Pursuit of Happyness, Riding in Cars with Boys, Garden State & A Beautiful Mind. I also really like Napoleon Dynamite, which is a comedy that I just find hilarious! 

I also enjoy sci-fi films, such as the Star Trek films and the X-Men films. 

I like the Disney & Pixar films more now than I am older too. I have recently watched Tangled a lot. I used to have a bit of an obsession with Pixar animation. 

So, I guess I like a variety of different films but I'm not really all that into films. I find it difficult to sit down and stay focused on an entire film length and I'm terrible at following storylines! My concentration and attention is bad for films! 

With books being turned into films, I find that if I have read the book first, I will find it a lot easier to follow the film because I know the story and I know what is roughly going to happen. However, if the film isn't as good as the book (for example, 'The Golden Compass') it's really disappointing :( Sometimes, I don't want to watch a film in case it ruins the story for me! 

thanks for reminding me - I forgot the mention Napoleon Dynamite!  I love that film!! :D

iggy

Ah the golden compass.biggest letdown of 2007. His dark materials did not deserve such a terrible representation in film.

Sofi
thanks for reminding me - I forgot the mention Napoleon Dynamite!  I love that film!! :D

Hilarious!!!  :P

Ah the golden compass.biggest letdown of 2007. His dark materials did not deserve such a terrible representation in film.

Yeah, huge letdown! I was so disappointed. I loved the books so much, that I had managed to go out to the cinema on my own because I wanted to see the film so much... and ended up so disappointed! 

spiderwoman0_2

I love films and have a huge collection on dvd, they are mainly sci-fi, action, romcom, musicals, and some other stuff lol, definatly no westerns! :P

spiderwoman0_2

Totally agree, just as the film got going it ended.

Sofi
I love films and have a huge collection on dvd, they are mainly sci-fi, action, romcom, musicals, and some other stuff lol, definatly no westerns! :P

LOL "no westerns"! Do you mean those black and white wild west films that always seem to be on TV on Saturday afternoons, that make absolutely no sense?! 

Alex

I quite like some of the old Clint Eastwood westerns...But in small doses, as they can get pretty boring and they are very long :P