nichii

Are any of you savants?

nichii

From Wikipedia:

Savant syndrome is a condition in which a person demonstrates profound and prodigious capacities or abilities far in excess of what would be considered normal.[1][2][3] People with savant syndrome may have neurodevelopmental disorders, notably autism spectrum disorders, or brain injuries. The most dramatic examples of savant syndrome occur in individuals who score very low on IQ tests, while demonstrating exceptional skills or brilliance in specific areas, such as rapid calculation, art, memory, or musical ability.[4][5][6][7] In spite of the name "syndrome", it is not recognized as a mental disorder nor as part of mental disorder in medical manuals such as the ICD-10[8] or the DSM-V.[9]

I don't consider myself really good at anything, so I'm not one. I'm good with computers, but not to the point where I could get a job involving them. That's about it really. What about you guys? Are any of you savants? I think the percentage of people who have it is pretty low, but I wanted to ask anyway.

brokenOne

I have a few things im pretty good at, but wouldnt consider myself a savant by any means. I do have three lesions on my brain though, and has this caused me quite a lot of neurological problems through out my life.

Edited by brokenOne

vcq14

No; very intelligent, but not a savant. I was in middle school with a certifiable Aspie savant (incredible math abilities light years beyond our grade level). I always scored extremely high on IQ tests and was in Talented and Gifted for many years.

I am fluent in three languages and can read in several others; language (and tones) was something I have always excelled at (I routinely score in the high 98th percentile for any sort of language arts tests), but I strongly believe I suffer from dyscalculia as I have NEVER been able to visualize / process numbers (I still count on my fingers and can absolutely NOT do any sort of math in my head; even trying to do simple subtraction of double-digit numbers requires a significant amount of resources).

I am also very widely read on a wide range of technical subjects including medicine and aviation and can retain information I read, but my working short term memory is total garbage.

No Longer Here

No. I have a high IQ but have never far excelled at any particular thing

Simon Chai

No; very intelligent, but not a savant.

Same here.

The Id

I have an interesting career because of my ability to come up with solutions to engineering problems that regular ppl can't. Not really a savant thing though. More like getting paid to indulge in a lifelong obsession.

Peridot

quote-home.jpg

So there you go. I'm a genius. A savant is something else though.

vcq14

I find it fascinating that in so many instances savantism co-occurs with significant mental retardation and/or physical handicap (according to Wikipedia, "The most dramatic examples of savant syndrome occur in individuals who score very low on IQ tests, while demonstrating exceptional skills or brilliance in specific areas, such as rapid calculation, art, memory, or musical ability."); this is true in almost all cases I am familiar with (Kim Peek, Leslie Lemke, Derek Paravicini,  ). Approximately half of savants are autistic; the other half often have some form of central nervous system injury or disease.

Daniel Tammet is the only functional savant I am familiar with who falls on the high functioning end of the spectrum and is actually able to articulate his thought processes (including synesthesia): I have read his "Born on a Blue Day" and found it fascinating.

Nesf

No, I'm not a savant, but I'm good at learning languages and according to my diagnostic report, I have "high linguistic ability". I have a good visual memory and can look at verb tables or vocabulary lists once and remember them. At school I was good at recalling diagrams and illustrations, I could reproduce them accurately and I always got top grades for subjects like physics and biology. I excelled at geometry and trigonometry, but was hopeless at algebra or, really any thing abstact in nature for which I had no visual image. I wasn't any good at english literature, either, and really struggled to write essays (I since improved). I can't interpret poetry to save my life! I can relate to Daniel Tammet's linguistic (but not mathematical) ability, and Temple Grandin's thinking in pictures and ability to design engineering equipment in her head.

I love music, but sadly I have no particular talent in this department!

I have absolutely no idea what my intelligence or IQ is, I can only assume that it's above average.

Edit: I've heard it said very often that people who are good at learning languages are good verbal thinkers, but this is not necessarily the case - I know that I use my visual memory much more to learn the languages. If someone tells me a word, I won't remember it. I have to see it written down. Some people can learn from watching movies and listening alone, I can't do that. I must see the word first, then hear it.

Edited by Nesf