nichii

Are any of you savants?

Tylermc

I'm really good at art and painting and I can name any song on the radio by the artist I think I have some savant traits when I was 7yrsold I had a mid like a 11yrs old I really enjoyed this topic

Sofi

I'm probably not a savant but I have a really good memory for dates and strings of numbers  and good memory in general. I could play chess before I could speak too.  I'm good at learning languages too but that's not as good as the memory thing which  is unusually good memory. 

Aeolienne

Sorry, but I find Derek Paravicini's playing style too mechanical.

Dr-David-Banner

Yes, Savants are deceptive. I think Bundini Brown was one. He joined Muhammad Ali's team before the first Liston fight. He was illiterate but had a way of saying really deep things in riddles that other people struggled to grasp.

Ezra

My ability to communicate so well in forums, compared to me being so withdrawn and nonverbal irl, is considered a savant ability by my occ therapist

Gin

I wish, however, my brother can recount a movie he has seen years ago from start to finish, describing everything from the music to the visuals and the exact conversation.

I'm probably not a savant but I have a really good memory for dates and strings of numbers  and good memory in general. I could play chess before I could speak too.  I'm good at learning languages too but that's not as good as the memory thing which  is unusually good memory. 

I noticed that with myself, I always remember people's birthdays or other significant dates in their lives, such as the dates their relatives passed away. It tends to get them creeped out

Now that you mention it, I do speak 5 languages (English, Russian, French, Norwegian and German) and understand 2 more (Swedish and Dutch) without ever having studied them. However, I find Dutch to be pretty much an exact mix of Norwegian and German, and Swedish is really close to Norwegian anyway. So yeah, those don't really count. I would have never concluded it to be a savant ability because those languages didn't always come easy, but I guess I remembered them better than most of my classmates did in the long run.

Edited by Gin

Cosmic

No; very intelligent, but not a savant. I was in middle school with a certifiable Aspie savant (incredible math abilities light years beyond our grade level). I always scored extremely high on IQ tests and was in Talented and Gifted for many years.

I am fluent in three languages and can read in several others; language (and tones) was something I have always excelled at (I routinely score in the high 98th percentile for any sort of language arts tests), but I strongly believe I suffer from dyscalculia as I have NEVER been able to visualize / process numbers (I still count on my fingers and can absolutely NOT do any sort of math in my head; even trying to do simple subtraction of double-digit numbers requires a significant amount of resources).

I am also very widely read on a wide range of technical subjects including medicine and aviation and can retain information I read, but my working short term memory is total garbage.

Same here, I just consider myself as an intelligent person with an above average IQ. I have a particular ability with languages, music, and art, but I have dyscalculia. I have a list of interests and talents, not just one. That means I'm not a savant. 

Gin

I must see the word first, then hear it.

Same for me. That also applies to math in my case. I need to write it down to understand.

RiRi

I can relate to some of the posts here. About dyscalculia, not being able to solve a problem in my head, but having no problem doing so on paper, that's me. I don't have a high IQ, but I don't think I'm dumb. I'm okay at art without ever really having anyone teach me, or taking art classes. I'm not sure if that'd be considered my savant skill, maybe in the future after I have years of practice. 

Though I know at least two languages, I don't think languages per se is my strength. I feel like people have focuses/things that they're really good at, but sometimes I feel like I don't. Maybe just stuff that I'm higher than okay at.

Sort of off topic, but I feel like I've always tried to be part of everything/fit in, sort of setting aside things I could have exploited and become better at. I've tried knowing about everything to sort of relate to people some way or another. As a result, I've never really focused on anything. At least, not until now that I'm practicing art. I think I sort of regret that I have been this way as sometimes I feel like I don't have a focus whatsoever or that I could be better at what I'm now better than okay at. I'm not sure.

PandaPrincess

I don't have a savant skill. I am good at art, but there are lots of NTs that are just as good at it as I am.