Bartowski

What was your play pattern as a kid?

Bartowski

Okay, so when I was a kid I used to play by myself, sometimes with dolls, and I would have elaborate situations and characters, but I would be every single character. And my play situations would be crazy weird like I would be blind, deaf, or a drug addict (I would pretend the "smarties" candies were pills) or that I was being mind controlled or switching bodies. Sometimes I would recreate movie or show scenes in my play,and  all or most of the dialogue would be in my head. I knew it wasn't real, so I'm not schizophrenic or anything lol. But, I don't really recall playing with that many other kids, other than my siblings and cousins, I think we would play pretend but it would be like cops and robbers or something like that. I got mad when I would play games like tag with other kids since I would always be "it" and be chasing people, and it just stunk. My mom claims she had my play pattern as a kid too, but I don't think she understood what I was describing. Anyways, have any of you played liked this?

ponz

Okay, so when I was a kid I used to play by myself, sometimes with dolls, and I would have elaborate situations and characters, but I would be every single character. And my play situations would be crazy weird like I would be blind, deaf, or a drug addict (I would pretend the "smarties" candies were pills) or that I was being mind controlled or switching bodies. Sometimes I would recreate movie or show scenes in my play,and all or most of the dialogue would be in my head. I knew it wasn't real, so I'm not schizophrenic or anything lol. But, I don't really recall playing with that many other kids, other than my siblings and cousins, I think we would play pretend but it would be like cops and robbers or something like that. I got mad when I would play games like tag with other kids since I would always be "it" and be chasing people, and it just stunk. My mom claims she had my play pattern as a kid too, but I don't think she understood what I was describing. Anyways, have any of you played liked this?

I played with beanie babies and had extensive family relationships, a hierarchy of power, melodramatic and sometimes abusive relationships (I didn't realize it was abuse back then), and I even had one crazed, violent criminal and the leader's sister was in love with him!

I had a unique pattern with hide and seek. I was terrified of hiding and just waiting in anticipation for someone to find me, so I always insisted on being "it." I struggled with tag, because I have bad asthma and would get winded easily.

I was drawn to swings and spinning things a lot as a kid. Tire swings were my favorite because they incorporated both swinging and spinning! XD I also loooved my hippity hop and sit 'n' spin!

DominikaCupcake

Okay, so when I was a kid I used to play by myself, sometimes with dolls, and I would have elaborate situations and characters, but I would be every single character. And my play situations would be crazy weird like I would be blind, deaf, or a drug addict (I would pretend the "smarties" candies were pills) or that I was being mind controlled or switching bodies. Sometimes I would recreate movie or show scenes in my play,and  all or most of the dialogue would be in my head. I knew it wasn't real, so I'm not schizophrenic or anything lol. But, I don't really recall playing with that many other kids, other than my siblings and cousins, I think we would play pretend but it would be like cops and robbers or something like that. I got mad when I would play games like tag with other kids since I would always be "it" and be chasing people, and it just stunk. My mom claims she had my play pattern as a kid too, but I don't think she understood what I was describing. Anyways, have any of you played liked this?

That sounds like me. I had many figures, plushies and toy dinosaurs that would be actors in my play and movies. They would interact with each other etc. Also all the dialogue was happening in my head. I was never talking out loud when i was playing. I was just imagining the characters talking to each other. If someone was standing there and looking at me it just seemed like i was holding the toys in my hands and never did anything with them, but in reality i was imagining everything in my head. I used to play like this until i was 13/14 (it was quite late as most kids stop to play way earlier). Then i found a better way to make stories - with pen and paper.

thegingerone

I did play wit other people in school and I preferred to do role-playing games because I knew what everyone was going to be saying and I had a person to 'act' as and could give myself rules in that.  At home, I am an only child and I liked to play on my own rather than play in the street wit the other kids.  I still have loads of stuffed toys and things which all had names and personalities.  I mainly played hospital / school / kidnapping games where I would have a scenario in my head which would be the setting of the games.  Also, I don't remember giving voices to any of my toys, I think they just spoke in my head.

Heather

When I was younger I mainly played games with my sisters, in particular I remember playing dolls or barbies with my younger sister.  I remember we never had a 'ken' doll so he was always either dead or they were divorced.  It sounds so horrible when I think back on it, but I can't remember too vividly what stories we played.  I didn't play too often with other kids, except sometimes at school when other girl(s) would invite me to play with them.  I know I also spent time playing on my own and probably making up stories in my head for my dolls, but I can't remember what kind of stories they were.  I know I really loved dolls when I was younger, probably more than either of my sisters, especially the baby dolls, I didn't like barbies as much but stilled played with them.  I really didn't like tag because I was never a really athletic child.  I think I could handle hide and seek more but still would have probably preferred to play with my dolls. lol

(deleted)

I always used to play like I was acting out a story with the toys. So I would narate everything that was happening, and there would often be a somewhat complex storyline to whatever was happening.

Asgardian

I mostly liked to play by myself. Even if I did play with other kids I would often tell them what to do  :lol:

My play pattern was very organised. I loved playing with toy cars, but not in the conventional manner. Instead of just whizzing them around on the floor I would line them up and it would always be the same order. I liked playing football by myself. I would run around outside being all of the players and commentating about what I was doing. I am well aware I probably looked rather odd  :P  :D

I also used to like Lego, but I never enjoyed playing with the Lego. I enjoyed the challenge of building the Lego but once it was finished I just put it to one side and never played with it. 

I got mad when I would play games like tag with other kids since I would always be "it" and be chasing people, and it just stunk. 

I will never, ever understand the point of playing tag. Being "it" just seemed to be a way of singling out one person. Plus, it isn't exactly the most inventive of games  :lol:

brokenOne

I was always obsessed with fairy tale type stuff and use to pretend i was a knight. I still even have some of the old medieval figures and stuff. Here is just a few examples how i arrange my room with old childhood memories. I set them up so it looks like they are about to do battle with one another lol.

post-6844-0-86978800-1422472714_thumb.jp

post-6844-0-56648400-1422472725_thumb.jp

Nesf

I was a tomboy, and never liked girly things, I never played with dolls, but had some plushies which I put into my bed every night, four down one side and four down the other, in a certain order. I liked lego, the meccano set my dad bought me for getting good grades, making things. I played on my own and had my own hut at the bottom of the garden. I loved conducting experiments, and walking through the countyside (I grew up in the country 'far from the madding crowds'). I loved experiments, and spent hours mixing various substances I could find round the house or making things. At school I rarely played with other kids, I went to the edge of the playing field and examined the grass and the various bugs I found there. I often played with bugs or insects and sometimes experimented with them, before I realised that this was cruel and wrong. I read a lot, and loved books, especially sci fi. I developed a fascination for astronomy and space at an early age and read a lot about that. I watched programmes like Doctor Who, Tomorrow's world, Star Trek and British comedies on TV. When I was older, I started to have one or two friends and played with them, but mostly I was the one who was in charge and deciding on the play. Most of my friends were similar to me, on the margins or for some reason didn't fit in so well.

Choco Otter

I remember that at the playgroup I went to, I'd mostly play on my own with a dolls house, Lego or with a toy farm set. I also never really liked it if someone interrupted my scenarios. There's an old report of mine that said that if someone joined me I would look at them for a few moments, throw whatever I was holding down, and leave the area.

Mostly though I think I read books. I liked Beatrix Potter and Thomas the tank engine. But mostly I looked at the pictures rather than the words!