Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andy

Adobe Illustrator ?

Andy

Oh my god, I am trying to teach myself Adobe illustrator at the moment care of Youtube and it's weird !

I have been using various generations of Adobe photoshop for years and know what I am doing with that more or less but Illustrator not much of what one learns from photoshop so far us useful in that.

I have Adobe CS5  In design - standard edition on my Mac and just think a working knowledge of Illustrator would be useful because I design and make stuff and I originally requested illustrator because of the files it generates for use with a lazer cutter of which I have not been near since I got the programme, but I think i need illustrator for my current interest, that of fashion design as I need to make some costumes. Where my next job will be to teach myself to use a sewing machine to make clothes.

I have two sewing machines I got because they were broken, something to fix and I have, one is a 1913 hand driven Singer and the other is a 1972 electric Singer, the latter hardly used given the level of wear there was not in the system, but i got it for a quid off ebay, bought locally, a winner !

But Illustrator does anyone use it and for what, and did they find the pen tool a real pain to learn ?

Willow

I only use Photoshop. I think Illustrator is used to create vector graphics. But I manage fine in Photoshop...

What file format does your laser cutter need?

Andy
I only use Photoshop. I think Illustrator is used to create vector graphics. But I manage fine in Photoshop...

What file format does your laser cutter need?

It was the art college's laser cutter and it needed vector graphics so .ais files to operate, but with the programme, if I can get the hang of it and create successful designs, I can just send the file to a commercial laser cutter to get done what I need. The one in the college wasn't powerful enough (60watt) to cut metal but I used it to etch glass, where I etched a drawing of Sri Shiva Nataraja into a circular mirror I wanted for my wall, it worked well but I have since broke the mirror.

But one of my designs involves lots of repetitive patterns where normally to create the tooling to punch the shapes out of metal is prohibitive, but a laser cutter will do a clean job in minutes- clean in that there will be minimal if any post cut cleaning up of edges to do thus minimising labour costs. I have tried to use RT blanking, I even made the machine to do it but even with that, it was too hit and miss with a lot of wastage and finishing off.

Laser cutter and engravers are fantastic machines and one below is a home made cutter which gives me ideas ;

But vector graphics is what I am after as they can be scaled infinitely without loss, what I had to do with the Nataraja was convert it from a bit map digital photo to vector graphics, it was a bit of work, but the end result was very good for a first attempt.

But laser cutters are used in most production methods now in most industries, where there are even 3D cutters that fuse objects out of liquid solution and others that will cut out of a block of material and I have even seen  some idiot laser cut a design into their arm.

But a popular laser cut artist, look at the stuff he's done, mostly from corten steel.

http://www.wimdelvoye.be/

Willow

Hmm. You can make EPS files in photoshop which are vectors, but obviously what you've made has to be a vector.

We have a laser cutter at our house, it's Chris' Dad's - this is his site: http://www.light-work.org.uk/

Andy

Of course, a laser cutter would be ideal for precision model aircraft parts.

But my wanderings into Illustrator are more because I have the programme and I do have a vague use for it besides the fact that it is an industry standard I do need to be familiar with and it would help, because this place is damp, my paper goes damp and art materials degrade, I would be better designing using modern technology as the storage is better and like I said, an industry standard of presentation which I might need.

My pal is teaching himself CAD, he being a wood worker, he has a x-y axis computer controlled router he hopes to employ at some point, to do what exactly, he doesn't know yet but he like me understands the need to understand the control programs first.

But in photoshop, have you tried the pen tool, it acts similarly to the one in Illustrator.

But talking of modern technology, the government confidence course I am on, next week I have to give a five minute power point presentation and although I have the software on the Mac, I have never used it, nor given a power point presentation before, so my Illustrator learning is on hold for now.

But digging through the software on this macbook, no wonder it runs slow, the amount of software it holds ;

Adobe In design CS5

Inspirations mind mapping software

MacSpeech Dictate /Dragon

MS Office 2008

Iris pen I have never used

Screen ruler

Olympus digital recorder software

In addition to the usual Mac stuff.

It is a very capable machine I am not using anywhere near it's capability.

Willow

The pen tool is all I use in Photoshop, really. When I'm doing graphic design anyway. Obviously I do do photo editing too.

All my mascots are made with the pen tool, and are all sizable indefinitely :D

It used to be easier to use, but they changed it slightly with the newer version and it took a little getting used to - are you having trouble with it?

Andy

It's those handle things for curves it is taking a lot of getting used to and I am having to think boat here, as in boat with a tiller, push it in the opposite direction of that in which you wish to turn. But I am finding trying to do curves it does help when I put the guide graph up.

But I do need to work out the tracing of figures as the fashion industry croquis are not to my liking as I like realism not figure proportions half a head higher than the fairly standard eight head cannon. Overlong thighs look ridiculous but I understand with women's fashion where the 8.5 cannon came from, the ideal is long legs. Actually the more realistic cannon is 7.5 for women when men are between 7.5 and 8.0, the proportions being worked out from the length of the head.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.