Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andy

Success - thinking outside the box at last !

Andy

I did it, I managed it I managed at last after weeks of messing about unsuccessfully to get the air out of my motorcycle braking system. It's only one hydraulic calliper but the master cylinder is weak and I can't afford a replacement, so I could not pump the fluid through the system against the springy pressure of the trapped air. I was at a complete loss about what to do as I need this bike sold, I desperately need the money so I can rent a workspace to get on with my idea to start a business and hopefully in time get away from this benefit existence as what the government is doing is really making me very negative and users of here may have noticed I have not been good these last few weeks, that is the reason why.

So how to get the air out seeing as the master cylinder would not pump, I took the system off the bike and took it into my flat along with a spare front wheel and a spare set of forks and a spare handlebar and set the system up inside and I have been at it weeks trying to get that air out. But then I thought, if it won't pump, suck the air out, so a piece of tubing, open the bleed nipple put tube in mouth and suck. Well my head nearly imploded with the pressure but it was working, but I did not have quite enough suck to drag all the air out and besides brake fluid doesn't taste very nice.

So how can I create a vacuum pump, yay, thought of it, a syringe, but where to get a syringe from I have no idea aside from ebay, but I would have to wait days for that and it's more cost. But I found a way, a two thirds used epoxy resin pump, it consisted of two side by side syringes, so I cleaned the glue out, jammed a pipe on the end and sucked and it worked. Half hour later all I was sucking was fluid, I had got the air out at last. I closed the bleed nipple and tried the brake handle and the calliper worked, this released some more air that came up through the master cylinder and then all I was pumping was fluid, the master cylinder being strong enough to work the brakes. So tomorrow get some more fluid and pump clean fresh fluid through the system and that's it, put the system back on the bike and inform the buyer to come and get it, so I can get on with my plans as the next thing on my list of things to do, is to use my remaining bronze and silver and get making stock for sale as I have a sales venue, I just need to make the stock to sell, but because my thinking works on lists, I cannot move onto another job until the most important one is completed, i.e. the ine that brings in the most immediate cash.

Oh and clean up about 300ml of brake fluid that is all over my flat.

But I used to be good at thinking outside the box, but these past few years what I could do has fallen away without use, but I was pleased today I can still do it when I am backed against the wall.

But I need a workshop as I can't work in my flat, I need a place I can hot forge bronze, I can heat it, even melt it in here, but I can't hammer it because of the neighbours.

There is an option maybe, I could use my shed, but I would have to fix the roof first but there is no electricity out there and no work bench but my anvil is in there and my heating equipment would be safer out there.

But it's tough, one cannot even think to work without money for it takes money to create money and if I didn't have my materials left over from years ago I would be very stuck as what I have is a few hundred pounds worth I hope I can at least make some profit on.

But I have thought outside the box today and won, I can do it again !

Megsmum

Well done. I have no knowledge of motorcycle braking systems and most of what you described was lost on me :D , but I do understand the sense of achievement and satisfaction that it has given you. I hope it is the start of something good for you.

Good luck with cleaning up the brake fluid in your flat, I dont envy you with that job! :)

Willow
Well done. I have no knowledge of motorcycle braking systems and most of what you described was lost on me :D , but I do understand the sense of achievement and satisfaction that it has given you. I hope it is the start of something good for you.

Good luck with cleaning up the brake fluid in your flat, I dont envy you with that job! :)

I admit I wasn't able to read it all as I too have no knowledge of it, and unfortunately I don't have an interest in it either...but well done for this anyway! Maybe with this out of the way you can move on to cleaning the rest of your flat, not just the brake fluid :P

Ben

Hahaha!! All this over a braking system? 

Mind you, I severed a tendon in my finger trying to remove a water pump. That ended my career as a mechanic. I very nearly lost my finger, it was a total mess. Blood and cartilage everywhere, I passed out from the pain, and got taken to the emergency room in a taxi. My finger is permanently bent, I cant move it. 

I was meant to have surgery on it, but meh! Way too much effort for a finger. It can stay bent, and severed. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.