nichii

I keep misreading words and I'm getting kind of worried

nichii

When I was a child, I had absolutely no problem reading. In fact, I was at a higher reading level than a lot of kids in my class. I noticed some time last year that I would misread words. I thought nothing of it since I figured it happens to everyone from time to time, but now it's getting to the point where I misread a word so frequently that it's making me worried. I'm also not confident in my ability to understand the meaning of words that I previously had no trouble understanding. I feel like I'll know the meaning of a word, but I have to check to make sure it's right because the word sounds weird to me. Like I'm using the wrong word or something. Do you guys have any idea what's wrong? Is this an aspergers thing or could it be something else?

Whoknows

Aren't you getting too deepresed lately? People tend to do things bad, when they feel bad.

blacktiger911

I think you just need to slow down and try to not over think it.I suck at reading and stutter a lot also a small lisp.

(deleted)

I have heard of aspergic people having problems like this. It isn't because of Asperger's but it's a co-morbid trait.

nichii

Aren't you getting too deepresed lately? People tend to do things bad, when they feel bad.

I'm always depressed, but it's nothing to worry about. It rarely reaches a level where I should be worried.

I think you just need to slow down and try to not over think it.I suck at reading and stutter a lot also a small lisp.

I probably should take your advice. It's stressing me out. I started thinking it might be dyslexia, but I don't remember having a hard time reading when I was a child. I wasn't diagnosed with aspergers until I was an adult, so it wouldn't surprise me if nobody saw this when I was a kid too. I match a lot of the symptoms, but I don't really believe in self diagnosing, so I'm trying not to let it get to me. 

Northern Lass

I'm like this and have been ever since I was little.. I sometimes miss type words too as well as reading things wrong.

Michael-D

I've been wondering the same thing recently.  You're not the only one.  

I can also say the wrong word so I have to keep an ear open and correct myself at times.  Sometimes it's something random but often it's the exact opposite of what I am trying to say.  I think worrying makes it worse.

I think everyone does to a degree but maybe we do more than most?   My father would try and say my name but my brothers name would come out instead. 

Edited by Michael-D

RiRi

I have this problem as well, maybe I always did it, just became more self-aware of it recently. I think it's dyslexia, but then again dyslexia and Asperger's have overlapping traits. Such as not being able to tell left from right, writing/saying the opposite of what they mean. I know I catch myself saying the opposite of what I mean to say and correct myself right after I catch myself saying it. I hadn't really noticed it until it was pointed out to me and I payed attention to it. I thought that the more practice I had with it, the better I would become at it, but it's been a while since I noticed and I still make the same mistakes. I have the same thing you're describing where I write a word and it just doesn't feel right to me. I also sometimes write things incorrectly such as if I meant to say "left" I write "felt" or "dog" I put "god" and that looks pretty dyslexic to me. Someone told me that dyslexia has to do with doing things really quickly, I guess quickly relative to the person's speed. But, I'm currently looking into it further to see whether it's dyslexia or not.

RiRi

I've been wondering the same thing recently.  You're not the only one.  

I can also say the wrong word so I have to keep an ear open and correct myself at times.  Sometimes it's something random but often it's the exact opposite of what I am trying to say.  I think worrying makes it worse.

I think everyone does to a degree but maybe we do more than most?   My father would try and say my name but my brothers name would come out instead.

Perhaps this is true, that everyone does it to an extent, but we do more than most and that worrying about it makes it worse. I do that as well, where I confuse names. Like, if the person in my head is very similar in what they are to me, I might say someone else's name when I meant to say theirs.

Ben

I'm always depressed, but it's nothing to worry about. It rarely reaches a level where I should be worried.

Depression at any level of intensity is NEVER a trivial matter. 

I'd actually argue that mild depression is as much of a concern as severe depression, as mild depression acts like a leaky tap - it'll drip, right up until you have a large basin overflowing and spilling out all over the floor. 

Doing something about it now, means that you can pull the plug and drain the water. Otherwise, it may get to you years later, when you have a HUGE mess to clear up. 

Edited by Ben