JakeTrv

Missile Scare

JakeTrv

Heard some troubling news some time ago. So as many of you may know, (Even the people outside of the U.S) North Korea's new leader: Kim Jong-Un has been has been making those repetitive threats to send nuclear missiles over to U.S outposts and the U.S mainland. Of course they have always been saying that stuff for God knows how long. But it seems to me that Jong-Un is serious about it. Starting up nuclear power plants, testing more missiles to see how far they can go ect. This obviously concerns me to no end. We know that South Korean soldiers will help the U.S troops, but they know as well as we do that North Korea has it's key ally: China. Fortunately China has grown frustrated by Jong-Un's political actions. However, Jong-Un has given his troops the go-ahead to engage South Korean troops and U.S soldiers.

Some articles I have read on sites, such as "cnn.com" state that if the situation should evolve into an all-out nuclear war, the amount of casualties will be astronomical. We have already been in a costly war before (Hunting Al-Qaeda operatives) and we certainly don't need to be in another one. I know there are the European users (And other countries) on this site that don't have to worry about this, but I just thought that I would throw that out there. Feel free to share your thoughts on the situation.

Heather

Yes I've heard about this.  I sure hope that no war actually breaks out.  My sister is currently in South Korea for a year, she is teaching English, just having graduated with her bachelors degree last year.  I feel really annoyed with this.  I am really annoyed with the USA.. and North Korea.. and have talked about this all with my boyfriend a lot and .. well if something did happen, world war three is probably not far off.  Because all the allies would have to get involved.  So not looking forward to this. :(  I hope they don't actually do anything! 

JakeTrv
Yes I've heard about this.  I sure hope that no war actually breaks out.  My sister is currently in South Korea for a year, she is teaching English, just having graduated with her bachelors degree last year.  I feel really annoyed with this.  I am really annoyed with the USA.. and North Korea.. and have talked about this all with my boyfriend a lot and .. well if something did happen, world war three is probably not far off.  Because all the allies would have to get involved.  So not looking forward to this. :(  I hope they don't actually do anything! 

I know how you feel. My brother was in the U.S Airforce and he was stationed over in South Korea at a local station. There may be a slight chance that they will be able to negotiate, but it's kind of doubtful. Another war is the last thing we need, and I hope it doesn't come to that.

Heather

I know how you feel. My brother was in the U.S Airforce and he was stationed over in South Korea at a local station. There may be a slight chance that they will be able to negotiate, but it's kind of doubtful. Another war is the last thing we need, and I hope it doesn't come to that.

Aww yeah.  I hope that they are able to negotiate.  And if it does come to war, at least that my sister isn't close to any of the most dangerous points.. and if she is, that she'll be able to come back to Canada, though if war breaks out, then even Canada might not be safe, probably safer though... but then she will have all the korean friends and the school there and it would be hard on her especially I think. :(  I wish they didn't have to have wars.

iggy

If there is another war, I'd assume the entire earth would die from nuclear radiation poisoning, but then I can be a pessimist. Wars seem so pointless, they always seem to be fought over such stupid things too.

Andy

What I am more concerned about is war mongers using the threats as an excuse to start another war as make no mistake war is profitable as war mongers don't fight them, that's others jobs.

But the US has about the best early warning and missile defence systems, all America need do is nothing, let the hot head rant for America is very capable of defending itself, anything unidentified comes over the US seaboard post 9/11 it will be shot down, America won't make that mistake again.

But if N korea attacks S. Korea, S.Korea is capable of wiping out the north with conventional weapons alone and if they do attack then no doubt America will be involved because there are more allies in that region that need to be protected as wars have a habit of spilling over and mad men don't care who they hit to make a point.

N. Korea's nuclear capability is about the same size as the Hiroshima and Nagasaki sized weapon, which is big enough but not that big and they don't have many of them, but the key to successful modern warfare as far as the west is concerned is precision and minimal civilian casualties as the world is watching and there are two publicly known, stealth bombers in the region and you can bet there will be a few military satellites parked over N.Korea watching their every move with every detection method known.

But China is N.Korea's most important ally through China comes all the economic and humanitarian aid and China is reported as nervous, what will they do bearing in mind they are the biggest military in the world and so close to N.Korea, so close that N.Korean refugees fleeing N.Korea's lunatic regime head for China and N.Korea won't dare hit China and China doesn't have to please the world, it's a super power in itself that owns most of the world economically.

The clue in all this is what is the advantage and who stands to gain and is there anything pulling N. Korea's strings for war and threats of war are never empty gestures for much is gained by threat alone.

But America is an old hand at war and has learned a lot,  the better part of valour is to stand down but remain alert let the other make the first move and be careful what is responded to for there are elements in the west that would launch all out war in a heartbeat if they had the chance and many of them are in high places, because they like war, it's where they feel alive even though it is others fighting for their lives on their order.

But if any here want their minds easing keep abreast of what is happening, what is being said worldwide not just at home because the news we always get in our homelands is often not the complete truth for all news is political and often with agenda.

Heather
If there is another war, I'd assume the entire earth would die from nuclear radiation poisoning, but then I can be a pessimist. Wars seem so pointless, they always seem to be fought over such stupid things too.

Totally agree.  It's easy to be a pessimist sometimes.  I hate wars. :(

What I am more concerned about is war mongers using the threats as an excuse to start another war as make no mistake war is profitable as war mongers don't fight them, that's others jobs.

But the US has about the best early warning and missile defence systems, all America need do is nothing, let the hot head rant for America is very capable of defending itself, anything unidentified comes over the US seaboard post 9/11 it will be shot down, America won't make that mistake again.

But if N korea attacks S. Korea, S.Korea is capable of wiping out the north with conventional weapons alone and if they do attack then no doubt America will be involved because there are more allies in that region that need to be protected as wars have a habit of spilling over and mad men don't care who they hit to make a point.

N. Korea's nuclear capability is about the same size as the Hiroshima and Nagasaki sized weapon, which is big enough but not that big and they don't have many of them, but the key to successful modern warfare as far as the west is concerned is precision and minimal civilian casualties as the world is watching and there are two publicly known, stealth bombers in the region and you can bet there will be a few military satellites parked over N.Korea watching their every move with every detection method known.

But China is N.Korea's most important ally through China comes all the economic and humanitarian aid and China is reported as nervous, what will they do bearing in mind they are the biggest military in the world and so close to N.Korea, so close that N.Korean refugees fleeing N.Korea's lunatic regime head for China and N.Korea won't dare hit China and China doesn't have to please the world, it's a super power in itself that owns most of the world economically.

The clue in all this is what is the advantage and who stands to gain and is there anything pulling N. Korea's strings for war and threats of war are never empty gestures for much is gained by threat alone.

But America is an old hand at war and has learned a lot,  the better part of valour is to stand down but remain alert let the other make the first move and be careful what is responded to for there are elements in the west that would launch all out war in a heartbeat if they had the chance and many of them are in high places, because they like war, it's where they feel alive even though it is others fighting for their lives on their order.

But if any here want their minds easing keep abreast of what is happening, what is being said worldwide not just at home because the news we always get in our homelands is often not the complete truth for all news is political and often with agenda.

Well said.  It eased my mind in a slight way though of course I'm still worried.  However I think I ought to read a few different news articles and see what they are all saying because as you say, trusting one source wouldn't  be wise because of the way they like to spread propaganda sometimes or twist the truth around.  I don't read much newspapers, always forget because I don't make it a habit but I might start reading a few or skimming through them at least. 

Andy

To be honest I would keep clear of newspapers, they are waste of trees to start with and what news you get always has the editorial slant where one is better advised is to skim online news sources and always cross reference by taking the news from many different sources both at home and foreign for one to understand a better picture.

I use ;

RT - Russia Today

Al Jazeera - Qatar

Press TV - Iranian !

UK online news mostly The Guardian

CNN -  USA

And you might be surprised RT, Al Jazeera and Press TV are not loaded with bias, there is a bit there, but cross referencing with other sources one can see the wood for the trees and so get a fair picture.

Propaganda we are fed through our national news feed and that is a fact for public mood the leaders depend on and they will manipulate and augment it where necessary for we are in a propaganda war because everything we know comes from the media, they are the public educator and the wooden spoon and so I have done some things, taken some precautions based on world news where the risk is not reported in the UK news, but it is elsewhere.

For example given what has recently happened to Cyprus and new laws made that can be applied in Europe anytime anywhere and what happened to the Argentine economy a few years ago, bearing similarities to what happened in Cyprus all that is in my bank is enough to pay the bills, everything else I deal in is cash not credit transfer for as long as FIAT currency is useful. But I am one of those paranoid preppers, I collect and store and learn ancient skills and I do forage and fish to supplement my diet. For I am not confident the economy in my country will last as it is based on nothing other than confidence and the more it is printed and not circulated, it is worth even less and so my thinking is when currency becomes worthless it's skills people need to do as they did in the past which is survive off the land without having to have money to buy everything.

My belief is we have passed our peak in this era and now we are declining, but the question is how far will we decline before we welcome in a new era, and era where mistakes of the past will have to be avoided.

As it is there are many areas setting up trading co operatives, I used to be part of one in a city I once lived where I traded my skills for credits which could be used to buy other services or goods, I repaired lawn mowers in exchange for all sorts and I felt good doing it because everyone involved was pleased to contribute to what they believed in, which was not bucking the system but the monetarily poorer in society were valued as often they were skilled in areas that don't make money, that being everyone involved was valued regardless of what they had in their purse.

JakeTrv

You bring up a lot of good points. But the one thing that scares people the most is if it breaks out into an all out nuclear war, the lives of the people on that peninsula being lost to nuclear fallout, would be tremendous. Assuming that either side will use nuclear weapons that is. 

Heather
To be honest I would keep clear of newspapers, they are waste of trees to start with and what news you get always has the editorial slant where one is better advised is to skim online news sources and always cross reference by taking the news from many different sources both at home and foreign for one to understand a better picture.

I use ;

RT - Russia Today

Al Jazeera - Qatar

Press TV - Iranian !

UK online news mostly The Guardian

CNN -  USA

And you might be surprised RT, Al Jazeera and Press TV are not loaded with bias, there is a bit there, but cross referencing with other sources one can see the wood for the trees and so get a fair picture.

Propaganda we are fed through our national news feed and that is a fact for public mood the leaders depend on and they will manipulate and augment it where necessary for we are in a propaganda war because everything we know comes from the media, they are the public educator and the wooden spoon and so I have done some things, taken some precautions based on world news where the risk is not reported in the UK news, but it is elsewhere.

For example given what has recently happened to Cyprus and new laws made that can be applied in Europe anytime anywhere and what happened to the Argentine economy a few years ago, bearing similarities to what happened in Cyprus all that is in my bank is enough to pay the bills, everything else I deal in is cash not credit transfer for as long as FIAT currency is useful. But I am one of those paranoid preppers, I collect and store and learn ancient skills and I do forage and fish to supplement my diet. For I am not confident the economy in my country will last as it is based on nothing other than confidence and the more it is printed and not circulated, it is worth even less and so my thinking is when currency becomes worthless it's skills people need to do as they did in the past which is survive off the land without having to have money to buy everything.

My belief is we have passed our peak in this era and now we are declining, but the question is how far will we decline before we welcome in a new era, and era where mistakes of the past will have to be avoided.

As it is there are many areas setting up trading co operatives, I used to be part of one in a city I once lived where I traded my skills for credits which could be used to buy other services or goods, I repaired lawn mowers in exchange for all sorts and I felt good doing it because everyone involved was pleased to contribute to what they believed in, which was not bucking the system but the monetarily poorer in society were valued as often they were skilled in areas that don't make money, that being everyone involved was valued regardless of what they had in their purse.

Very smart.  I know of Russia Today, my boyfriend follows them on youtube I think, he watches them a lot.  I also remember watching something on Al Jazeera I think because it sounds fmailiar.  I know he also skims BBC too.  I was thinking of more looking at online sources because it's cheaper and more accessable anyways.  I also like how you said you are storing food and learning ancient skills.  I know that is invaluable and important because our societies may not sustain themselves the way they are.  My boyfriend went through a huge time of learning them and encouraging me to do so as well.  It is how I came to learn how to crochet and we both are very interested in learning how to grow our own food, and want to be able to become fully self sustainable in the future.  He is also very interested in native american prophecies and they were/are one of his special interests.

You bring up a lot of good points. But the one thing that scares people the most is if it breaks out into an all out nuclear war, the lives of the people on that peninsula being lost to nuclear fallout, would be tremendous. Assuming that either side will use nuclear weapons that is. 

Yes, that scares me too.  Especially because my sister lives there, and I knew other people from South Korea who came to study at my school or were otherwise in my community and life.. and just because there are many innocent people there.