Nesf

Pet Peeves

HalfFull
One of mine is hearing people eat...

Thats spooky as a split second before I read this I heard myself chewing a wine gum and felt slightly irritated even though normally I don't notice.

Something that annoys me is this new trend towards greeting new people like they are already a friend. I've never been on the receiving end yet but have been in the company of people who have been, and that is witnessing someone being introduced to someone else and taking the liberty of giving that person a hug and 'without' permission. When did this become acceptable? I also find handshaking in unusual situations irritating eg going for a hearing test or a random birthday. Don't get me wrong, there are times when I'm the one to offer my hand first, but only really when meeting someone new in a work or social situation.

I also get annoyed and maybe even a bit angry when someone who has never met me calls me 'mate'. I know its just being friendly, but I'm not comfortable with that much familarity from a stranger and certainly think its unprofessional when shop assistants do it. I can sometimes get irritated by people IRL being 'overly' charming to ensure everyone likes them. I do like them but it can be uncomfortable done to excess. I'm not really a grumpy old man :(  :D and thats practically all that bothers me about people.

Nesf
One of mine is hearing people eat... esp crunchy foods.  One of my colleagues was eating crunchy salad type stuff next to me yesterday while I was trying to work and I thought that was bad, then she broke out the Pink and White mallow wafer things... I was not impressed :(  I don't want to hear people eat, especially when I'm trying to work :(

Yes, that really irritates me when I'm working or trying to concentrate on something, even popcorn or nachos at the cinema because it's really loud. Also people slurping on their drinks.

Megsmum

People who don't indicate when turning corners (drivers, cyclists, motor cyclists etc). Do they think I carry a crystal ball with me!!!!

mary
Thats spooky as a split second before I read this I heard myself chewing a wine gum and felt slightly irritated even though normally I don't notice.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I can annoy myself with the noise of chewing as well.  I very rarely eat crisps, but eat them even more rarely lately as they seem to really irritate me.  I like eating raw veg for lunch, but it takes so long and sounds horrific in my head :/

Yes, that really irritates me when I'm working or trying to concentrate on something, even popcorn or nachos at the cinema because it's really loud. Also people slurping on their drinks.

Oh yes, if anyone sits in the lounge and eats crisps or something like that I have a really hard time sitting here.  I really have gotten up from the table at times when the noise of someone eating, or using cutlery, has gotten too much.  It REALLY bugs me at the cinema... but I haven't been there in years, so that's not such a huge issue now! haha

People who don't indicate when turning corners (drivers, cyclists, motor cyclists etc). Do they think I carry a crystal ball with me!!!!

Argh, yes, that is also annoying!  I missed my ESP class, so I find it difficult to tell what people are doing unless they wish to indicate.

iggy

This has just reminded me how much I hate the sound of metal scraping across a plate (you know the squeak noise if its done too hard?). Makes me cringe!

Smithy The Wizard
This has just reminded me how much I hate the sound of metal scraping across a plate (you know the squeak noise if its done too hard?). Makes me cringe!

Yeah me too.

bristlenose
I really dislike people walking too slowly and having to pass people in the first place.  I feel awkward if I'm just walking behind them at the same pace because I feel like a stalker or something, but if I pass them then I feel like I'm showing off that I'm faster then them. :(

I think this is the first time I've ever seen anyone mention those annoyances, which I share :) It's worst when walking briskly and the person ahead is just slightly slower, so it's either slow to their pace or accelerate to Olympic racewalking speed to pass. Also annoying are the runners and cyclists who zip by with a couple of inches to spare when there's plenty of space to provide more distance.

Most of my peeves (oops - sorry, Ben) revolve around public transport, as that's the main situation I'm stuck near other people, and I have to spend four hours on it to travel to and from my favourite weekend walking spot. Too many to list, though.

Public toilets are just one big peeve. Oftentimes I look into a cubicle aghast and think "how does that happen?" Also annoying are hand dryers that don't sense hands reliably, so repeatedly cycle on and off during use.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I can annoy myself with the noise of chewing as well.  I very rarely eat crisps, but eat them even more rarely lately as they seem to really irritate me.  I like eating raw veg for lunch, but it takes so long and sounds horrific in my head :/

Crisps are pretty high on my list. When I hear the crinkling of a chip packet being opened in the vicinity, I almost wish Begbie from Trainspotting were around to take care of the offender :angry:

I actually have trouble with the idea of people eating in the presence of others at all, let alone the existence of a whole culture of downing food in groups that seems to bring most people great pleasure. Not a phobia about it - it's just there's a messiness to the whole business of food and eating that I have a hard time shamelessly enjoying in the way others do and find at least a little disgusting. I know this is really weird, but let me present, in my defence, one of my favourite TV quotes (it's from My So-Called Life):

"I mean, if you stop to think about, like, chewing -- what it really is? -- how people just do it, like, in public."

See? It's not just me! :P

Willow

Didn't we already talk about this somewhere? Like...Ben didn't you start it before?

I don't know.

Anyway, I have LOADS, but something I recently realised, is that I hate it when people use and acronym, but then add the last word of it on the end anyway...like ATM machine...it's like, you just called it an automatic teller machine machine. GRR

Nesf
Didn't we already talk about this somewhere? Like...Ben didn't you start it before?

I don't know.

Anyway, I have LOADS, but something I recently realised, is that I hate it when people use and acronym, but then add the last word of it on the end anyway...like ATM machine...it's like, you just called it an automatic teller machine machine. GRR

Ben started one about not liking cats a while back, do you mean that one?

It annoys me when people use obscure acronyms and it's assumed you'll automatically know what they mean.

Sofi

Oh, that is so annoying! It just makes me think people are stupid!

I hate it when people make grammar and spelling errors... But I try not to correct people too much because I don't want to seem like I'm trying to be really smart.