brokenOne

Eating a chore.

blacktiger911

i eat to live but some times i attack the friger like an animal cuz i am REALLY hungry.

Gin

I used to always watch tv while eating because the task itself is not enjoyable. I tend to feel that whatever I put into my body is an investment for the future, so I want to get the right amount of vitamins, proteins and calories without too much fats and the unhealthy stuff associated with it. Hence my meals don't necessarily taste good. But why should we require the luxory to have every meal taste amazing? It seems ridiculous to me. Up until about 40 years ago nobody had that luxory, we ate to live, not the other way around.

brokenOne

I used to always watch tv while eating because the task itself is not enjoyable. I tend to feel that whatever I put into my body is an investment for the future, so I want to get the right amount of vitamins, proteins and calories without too much fats and the unhealthy stuff associated with it. Hence my meals don't necessarily taste good. But why should we require the luxory to have every meal taste amazing? It seems ridiculous to me. Up until about 40 years ago nobody had that luxory, we ate to live, not the other way around.

Agreed. Thats why i get annoyed when people bitch about having to drink water because "it doesn't taste good" ... Really? You need everything you put in your body to have a taste to it? Even if its one of the best things you could do for your body? My ex girlfriend used to drink nothing but diet soda and i often was perplexed how she hadn't died yet? Surely there is no way the human body can survive off of just consuming soda? Much like you i also take my vitamins, proteins, calories, and fats.

Edited by brokenOne

Gin

Agreed. Thats why i get annoyed when people bitch about having to drink water because "it doesn't taste good" ... Really? You need everything you put in your body to have a taste to it? Even if its one of the best things you could do for your body? My ex girlfriend used to drink nothing but diet soda and i often was perplexed how she hadn't died yet? Surely there is no way the human body can survive off of just consuming soda? Much like you i also take my vitamins, proteins, calories, and fats.

Wow, I amazed she survived that too. Especially the aspartame, that stuff is disgusting. I don't think I've consumed that stuff in maybe 5 years, if not more, I probably haven't had a regular soda in 2 years either (unless it was part of a Long Island Iced Tea and I was already drunk). Then again I had a friend who drank nothing but coke, rum and vodka. He doesn't function very well though, he has a lot of issues.

What I find even more gross are those fat free yogurts they have at the store. Doesn't seem right that a yogurt should have 0 % fat. Doesn't seem healthy either.

brokenOne

Wow, I amazed she survived that too. Especially the aspartame, that stuff is disgusting. I don't think I've consumed that stuff in maybe 5 years, if not more, I probably haven't had a regular soda in 2 years either (unless it was part of a Long Island Iced Tea and I was already drunk). Then again I had a friend who drank nothing but coke, rum and vodka. He doesn't function very well though, he has a lot of issues.

What I find even more gross are those fat free yogurts they have at the store. Doesn't seem right that a yogurt should have 0 % fat. Doesn't seem healthy either.

Haha yea i dont touch soda either. And do you ever notice how these yogurts have like over 30 grams of freaking sugar? These so called healthy alternatives aren't so healthy. Its almost laughable because you would be better off not eating it instead.

Edited by brokenOne

Gin

Haha yea i dont touch soda either. And do you ever notice how these yogurts have like over 30 grams of freaking sugar? These so called healthy alternatives aren't so healthy. Its almost laughable because you would be better off not eating it instead.

Yeah, soda is bloody disgusting. So is that low fat yogurt crap. Last time I ate yogurt was back in my freshman hippie phase when I cultivated my own overnight in the oven using a spoon of sugar on the equivalent of a cartoon of milk. Though back then I could actually eat dairy, seems unthinkable to me now.

collectingrocks

I think I have a fairly good relationship with food. There are times when I don't miss breakfast at all and sometimes I can go all day without food if I'm not working. But often, I hate preparing it; I find it a chore.

And don't get me started on diet drinks and fat free "junk".... :angry:

Eustace

But for me i look at it as tedious and a chore, i understand that my stomach is empty and i need to put something in it, but outside of that i derive no pleasure from the act of consuming food.

I'm the same way my friend, perhaps this is is a variable in the equation of why I'm struggling to eat recently.

Thats why i find it odd going out to eat as some sort of social event. I hate going to restaurants and what not, because again i see it more as a task and not something to really enjoy.

Again, precisely. But my OCD will not allow me to eat outside the house at all, for I cannot know if the food is what it's supposed to be, what it's been cooked in or around, ... you know, all kinds of obsessive stuff about cleanliness and what not.

Eustace.

furoshiki

I find eating a bit of a chore too, mostly because I rarely feel hungry at all, even when my stomach is rumbling. I don't dislike food as such, just don't crave it. This means I have to try and follow a eating regime or I can lose weight rather quickly.

I have 'eat now' alarms on my phone ha ha.

Totally agree with Eustace's comment -

"But my OCD will not allow me to eat outside the house at all, for I cannot know if the food is what it's supposed to be, what it's been cooked in or around, ... you know, all kinds of obsessive stuff about cleanliness and what not."

Although with me it's vegetarian based ie has it been cooked with/ come in contact with meat etc - eg chips from fish and chip shops would be ruled out on that basis.

Anyone else an ingredients reader?

Monoamine

Eating meals has mostly always been solely for sustenance for me. So much of my time is wasted on cooking and eating that could be used on tasks much less mundane. I wouldn't mind it nearly as much if preparing healthy meals was less time-consuming and didn't require as much work, or if only one meal per day was the ideal amount to eat health-wise, but three is too many. I do enjoy food though if it's from a restaurant I like or a good chef prepares it, but even if all my meals were of such quality I would eventually come back to the same stance on it because there are too many other things I'd rather be doing with my time.

It seems ridiculous to me too. I can understand choosing to eat something because it tastes good on special occasions, and the desire to have a meal that tastes better than usual every now and then when going out with friends or family to a restaurant/having people over for a social event, but putting good fuel in your body should be the main priority.

Anyone else an ingredients reader?

I read the ingredients on pretty much everything, as well as keep rough track of the amount of sodium and saturated fat I eat per day.

Edited by Monoamine