_MillieMoo

Favourite Thing About Aspergers?

Primeape

Oh cool. I like drawing flowers. I "copy" them from pictures. I see the picture and draw from there. lol I can't do it like you, generally, I can't come up with what to draw without looking at something else. :P

There's a thread called "Your Artwork" by WillowHope http://asperclick.com/topic/80-your-artwork/?hl=artwork you can post your drawings there if you like.  :)

Awesome :) and thanks :)

OliveOilMom

There isn't much I like about it, and I don't particularly like having it.  It caused too many problems for me in the past and I worked very hard to overcome some of the issues I had with it.  Of course I didn't know I had AS at the time or wouldn't have worked as hard as I did to overcome them because I would have known I had a condition that causes me to not be able to do certain things well so I wouldn't have really tried.  I was diagnosed in middle age and by then it wasn't even an issue anymore, I basically seen like anyone else with just a few eccentricities which are more endearing than they are annoying, but I had to learn to spin them that way.  

I would say that the one thing I like about it is how it causes me to really research anything I want to know about and to usually retain a good bit of the information.  This has actually led to a pretty cool personality trait with me because I've stopped myself from usually going on about a lot of things, I just give a small fact about something when someone asks or I'll correct someone when they are wrong about a topic I know a SHIT TON about.  It's made my friends and acquaintances and all my kids friends come to me with a question about almost any topic and especially ones that I enjoy.  I've had long conversations with my kids friends about some of my pet topics because the kid told me their friend was interested in it and they had told them that their mom knows everything about that.  Another friend comes to me with anything prescription related because I always research anything I take, anything my kids or husband takes, or anything that my mother took.  I'll research anything medicine or drugwise for people.  Also my best friend is a heroin addict now and because of that I know more than most junkies to about every aspect of heroin use and I've made sure my friend at least knows the safest of the unsafe ways to use it and she's got all sorts of information on getting of it and things that will help.  

So, my AS has made me a very interesting person because I've resarched tons of stuff during my 50 years, most of it without the aid of the internet.  I can carry on a conversation about most things except current events because I haven't watched the news since my mother died last May because she had cable and we only have Netflix.

I'm also a slightly less annoying version of Cliff Clavin from the show Cheers.  I'd rack up on Jeopardy.

Muzical

I really don't benefit from any of the typical "positives."  (I'm un-creative, predictable, and my IQ is, technically, one point over the average, but I tend to think that being hyperlexic and doing well on standardized tests puts my score higher than is warranted.  I've also been described as boring, annoying, obnoxious, rigid, and more.)  My AS symptoms are entirely from the "negative" pile :(  (Poor social skills, poor executive function, hypersensitivity, autistic shutdowns, poor central cohesion, poor memory, it aggravates my Depression and causes countless anxieties...)

That said, I AM happy to, (as of this past Tuesday,) have an actual diagnosis, because the part of my brain that, for thirty years, has hurled abuse about my various failures, social and otherwise, has lost all of its most potent weapons.  Being able to say, "This is autism, not something I consciously and willfully chose," makes a huge difference in my Depression.  For my entire adult life, I'd just presumed there would, someday, be a magical epiphany, after which I would be able to function like and as well as everyone else.  That that day was refusing to come was a constant source of psychological self-abuse.  Now I know there's no point in keeping a vigil for that day, and no point in blaming myself for its failure to arrive.  (That may sound depressing, but it's actually a huge load off of my shoulders.)  It's also been helpful to see where Asperger's and ADD overlapped each other, or where one caused me to adopt poor coping mechanisms for the other, whatever.

OliveOilMom

Muzical, I'm sorry you are having a difficult time.  I do feel for you (even though we aren't supposed to be able to)  I was diagnosed as an adult as well and although I could function very well by then I struggled with thinking bad of myself for having a difficult time with certain things.  I thought I just had very poor self control because sometimes being overly stressed could cause a meltdown for me.  It made me feel selfish and self centered, etc.  A few other things about myself made me feel that way as well because even though I controlled how I acted (other than the meltdowns which aren't controllable) I still felt the same way about things.  Now that I know why I feel like I do about things I don't feel bad about myself anymore and just think of it as a symptom of my AS and try to find a way around it or to deal with it or just let myself avoid the whole thing.  I also found after dx and learning why I meltdown at times, that when I start feeling overwhelmed that particular premeltdown way that I should step back and take some time away from whatever it is and get myself back together no matter how long it takes.  It's not selfish at all, it's simply a way to prevent myself from losing it, adding to my own stress level and of returning to normal sooner rather than later so I can deal with whatever the situation is.  So I totally get you on the thing about explaining it to yourself.

(deleted)

My obsessive interests. I can't imagine life without an interest or two to immerse myself in at all times.

Whoknows

Being different.

Nesf

I have a good memory and can teach myself new things easily, such as languages :)

Asgardian

The fact that I feel unique. I don't feel like anyone else and actually I quite like it :)

Nintendo2

Really good long term memory and I can learn alot about anything I'm really interested in. Most importantly getting to meet and have some great relationships through here. :)

Edited by Nintendo2

aspiesw

The intense focus - I can focus on something for ages, if I'm interested in it, which will be really useful for my career :)... once it's sorted, lol