_MillieMoo

Favourite Thing About Aspergers?

Alex

Well, I'm one of a kind, quirky in a good way (I think, at least), I have an ear for music, I can focus intensively on something, I can really think deeply and philosophically on life and stuff. Also, I like to think I'm a friendly guy, and I like to help people, and especially friends when and where I can.

Also, I think I'm a bit of a dreamer, a softie, and perhaps a hopeless romantic...

Where did my modesty go, haha! I guess for me, my Aspergers is just a part of my personality. So therefore I can't really say what part of my strengths comes from Aspergers and what doesn't :D

The Id

I like how my "weird obsessions" have allowed me to define myself to a large extent, instead of just being passively defined by our society, the way it seems a lot of NT's are. 

Yea, same. My entire employment revolves around the ability to obsess about things when it comes to breaking new ground in engineering. Most people are scared of new designs, they'll take something that already exists and fiddle it around to suit a new application. I'd rather come at the problem from a completely random angle and make something that nobody ever thought of, then use my powers of obsession to make it work. Currently doing that now with a new design but it is a bit too top-secret to post here though.

mysti

Yeah I know how that feels. I constantly switch between thinking AS is a good thing to then being frustrated and wishing it would just go away.

I hope whatever difficulties you are experiencing clear up soon :)

Thanks Phil.

史越瀚

Yea, same. My entire employment revolves around the ability to obsess about things when it comes to breaking new ground in engineering. Most people are scared of new designs, they'll take something that already exists and fiddle it around to suit a new application. I'd rather come at the problem from a completely random angle and make something that nobody ever thought of, then use my powers of obsession to make it work. Currently doing that now with a new design but it is a bit too top-secret to post here though.

Hope your new design works out!  It's really a great feeling to approach something form a new angle and get positive results. 

Muzical

Yes thanks Phil, I just don't see Aspergers as a positive thing in my life at the moment, it seems to be causing me a lot of difficulties & I feel life would be significantly easier without it.

Know how you feel :(

mysti

^ Sorry to hear that Muzical.

_MillieMoo

I like how my "weird obsessions" have allowed me to define myself to a large extent, instead of just being passively defined by our society, the way it seems a lot of NT's are. 

I agree with this!  :D Our interests/obsessions shouldn't be something we should hide, it should be something we embrace! They definitely make us unique!

_MillieMoo

I'm really struggling to think of any positives right now.

I used to (and sometimes still do) feel like this… It took me awhile and sometimes still does to accept the fact I have Aspergers and the fact that I'm never going to be able to change who I am and what I have. It's tough to live with, especially day in day out but I've found that trying to turn negatives into positives is a good way to cope with it - although I understand that's a whole lot easier said than done… I'm always here if you need somebody <3

Primeape

I used to (and sometimes still do) feel like this… It took me awhile and sometimes still does to accept the fact I have Aspergers and the fact that I'm never going to be able to change who I am and what I have. It's tough to live with, especially day in day out but I've found that trying to turn negatives into positives is a good way to cope with it - although I understand that's a whole lot easier said than done… I'm always here if you need somebody <3

Great post :)