Ben

What Was You Doing 10 Years Ago?

Sofi
I was 34, single parent, Willow was 10 and Harrison was 3 and we lived in a small two bedroomed house, I used to sleep downstairs in the living room on a futon.

Was Harry diagnosed at that age, or at what age was he diagnosed? I was 4 when we got the diagnosis but I had been getting tests done etc done from age 3. 

spiderwoman0_2
Was Harry diagnosed at that age, or at what age was he diagnosed? I was 4 when we got the diagnosis but I had been getting tests done etc done from age 3. 

They suspected he was on the spectrum at that age so everyone treated him as having autism so he had lots of help, he used to go to speech theropy too.  I got the written down diagnosis when he was around 10.

iggy

Hmm, 10 years ago. I was in reception at my primary school, aged 6! I can still remember vividly reading a story about a duck out loud, and wondering how anyone could possibly know that was what a duck was saying for them to find out the story. I can also remember my classroom layout and learning how to paint with my left hand.... Lol.

In a few months or possibly just recently, our family would have aquired a rabbit and a guinea pig to add to our collection of animals. Back then we had 2 cats and 2 gerbils along with a goldfish, stick insects(hehe) and my aunts cat also, since she still lived with us at the time :)

I wouldn't even have known what doctor who was :o, but I think we had a GameCube and ps1/maybe ps2?

Good idea for a thread, this is interesting.

Nesf
Ten years ago, I was 13 (I think... ) and I would have been in the first year of secondary school (chronologically, but it was kind of different set-up at my school) and I remember not liking school and I went through a phase of behaving really badly in school at this time, annoying the teachers etc.

This was, also, at the time I had two girl 'best friends' outside of school, which we became friends at the age of 10, and for the most part, this was good and we got along well. We played very immature games, rather than what other 13 year old girls were doing (talking about make-up and boys, I guess) We used to read a lot of books together, I remember, and had some sleepovers with karaoke machines, climbing trees and playing in hedges... weird.

I got angry with them sometimes though and I remember pulling their hair on occasion  :(

And, at this time, my mum was pregnant with my brother and so we were preparing for that. I remember going to Mothercare a lot  :D and looking at baby clothes and buying the cot and other stuff. I remember knowing it was a boy, even although we didn't actually find out the gender. I guess I'd be feeling quite excited about the new baby  :D

My dad was still in my life at this point, but I never saw him very much and have no memories of him! I just remember it being me and my mum doing things together, I remember we used to get Dominoes and eat it in the garden  :P  

My sister had already moved out and we didn't see her very much, which we still don't. 

I remember learning Latin in my spare time too... 

You learnt Latin? That's great!! I've always wanted to learn Latin - at school we had to choose a language, and were given a choice of German or Latin, and I chose German. Did you learn a lot? Was it hard?

Nesf

I forgot to answer the OP's question: ten years ago I had started a new job so I was optimistic about the future.

Sofi
They suspected he was on the spectrum at that age so everyone treated him as having autism so he had lots of help, he used to go to speech theropy too.  I got the written down diagnosis when he was around 10.

Okay. I had other diagnosis at age 9 or 10. Yes, I had speech therapy too from age 4 up until about 11, then I had group sessions of it for a while. 

You learnt Latin? That's great!! I've always wanted to learn Latin - at school we had to choose a language, and were given a choice of German or Latin, and I chose German. Did you learn a lot? Was it hard?

Yes, I decided to learn Latin in my own time! My school didn't do Latin but I chose to learn German at school when I was older and I was quite good at that too. 

I learnt all the Latin verb lists and quite a lot of vocabulary and read a lot of short stories in Latin set in ancient Greece. I reckon it was probably all quite basic and to be honest, I can't remember much of it now :( One word that stands out in my mind, though, is 'silva' meaning 'wood'..... Odd...... 

Nesf

Yes, I decided to learn Latin in my own time! My school didn't do Latin but I chose to learn German at school when I was older and I was quite good at that too. 

I learnt all the Latin verb lists and quite a lot of vocabulary and read a lot of short stories in Latin set in ancient Greece. I reckon it was probably all quite basic and to be honest, I can't remember much of it now :( One word that stands out in my mind, though, is 'silva' meaning 'wood'..... Odd...... 

It must have been good to be able to read stories in Latin!  Yes, Silva is an interesting word. In Romania there is a beer called Silva, now I see where it got it's name from! I hardly know any at all, but the one word that sticks in my mind is "bellum" meaning war.

Spiderman0_2

well 10 years ago I had just finished the first year of my part-time chemistry degree and was working in Polishes R&D making wax based shoe polish!

I did a term of Latin at school, can't remember much of it though.

Quite a few chemical elements have their symbols based on the Latin/Greek names for them :)

(I had best not list them otherwise this post would be way too long :P )

Heather
In a few months or possibly just recently, our family would have aquired a rabbit and a guinea pig to add to our collection of animals. Back then we had 2 cats and 2 gerbils along with a goldfish, stick insects(hehe) and my aunts cat also, since she still lived with us at the time :)

I had gerbils 10 years ago too. :P 

10 years ago I would've been 12 and going through grade 7.  That means I was reading through "Fellowship of the Ring" (the 1st Lord of the Rings book) and was starting my obsession with that series.  I had two gerbils and that was also an obsession.  I think I played neopets online.  I was still a rather quiet kid. I met one of my friends that was my friend throughout high school and still is sort of today.  We used to poke each other in the stomach in this year, it made us laugh. :P

Sofi
Quite a few chemical elements have their symbols based on the Latin/Greek names for them :)

(I had best not list them otherwise this post would be way too long :P )

Yeah, most of them are  :P  We won't run through the periodic table on here though, you are right.

10 years ago I would've been 12 and going through grade 7.  That means I was reading through "Fellowship of the Ring" (the 1st Lord of the Rings book) and was starting my obsession with that series.  I had two gerbils and that was also an obsession.  I think I played neopets online.  I was still a rather quiet kid. I met one of my friends that was my friend throughout high school and still is sort of today.  We used to poke each other in the stomach in this year, it made us laugh. :P

Oh, Heather - another thing we have in common then - I used to play Neopets too  :P  I can't remember my username though, I loved it. I remember I met a friend on there who lived in America and she asked me to look after her pets whilst she was away on holiday (vacation)  :P

It must have been good to be able to read stories in Latin!  Yes, Silva is an interesting word. In Romania there is a beer called Silva, now I see where it got it's name from! I hardly know any at all, but the one word that sticks in my mind is "bellum" meaning war.

Maybe I'll get out some of my old Latin books! I will probably still be able to pick it up again really quickly. I tend to find that with things that I learn, I can never truly forget about it. I just have to refresh myself with it. 

I used to try to write my own stories set in ancient Greece in Latin too  :P