Nesf

Languages

Nesf

Following the discussion on the "Two facts and a lie" thread, I thought I'd open a separate one for languages.

What languages do you speak? Do you like learning languages, and do you find them easy to learn? Do you have favourite ones, and are there any you would like to learn?

I've always liked learning languages and seem to pick them up uite easily. I learnt French, German and Spanish at school, and then Greek, Romanian and Italian. I learnt a bit of Russian at some point, too but can't remember much of it. I can read it, though. I would like to learn more Russian some time in the future as well as Latin.

Sofi

I like languages. I have only learnt some German and some Latin - German at school and I did some exams on it and I found it quite easy to understand but I wasn't very good at speaking it! 

I chose to learn Latin in my spare time, it kind of led on from my other interests. I really liked it and I found I learnt it a lot easier because I had an interest in where the language came from and I wanted to read stories, that were in Latin! I used to write out all the verb lists and memorise them. 

I would love to learn Greek  :) Maybe I could teach myself that as well. 

Alex

I speak Danish, English and a little German, but my German skills are very rusty after years of not studying it. Also, I understand a lot of Norwegian and Swedish. 

I quite like learning new languages. Not necessarily easy, but I do think I am good at learning new languages. My favorite language would have to be English, mainly because it sounds nice and there's way more words to use than in Danish.

I would like to eventually learn to speak Norwegian and not just understand it. My father speaks it, so maybe he can teach me :)

The new generations here in Denmark don't really learn a lot of the old Danish words, so our language is turning more and more monotonous. In fact, there's a video sketch made by some Norwegians, where the Danish language is falling apart and no one understands eachother anymore. It might not be funny for someone who isn't scandinavian, but here it is anyway:

*Disclaimer: You will most likely not understand this video if you aren't scandinavian (Lol)*

And by the way, this is not how Danish sounds...It's gibberish :P

Edited by Alex

iggy

For ease, I'm going to reply to your post (Nesf) from the off topic in here :P

Not true - I think that's it's possible to teach yourself any language with enough determination - I was told that I couldn't teach myself Greek but I managed!! I have a friend who managed to teach herself Gaelic, though I think she had some help with a Skype study group. As far as I know, she's now doing some kind of gaelic studies on Skye. If you're interested I could ask her for details for you. Also, I used to know a lady who was working on a Gaelic - English dictionary.

Wow, that sounds like quite an achievement on both of your parts! I think of I did pursue this it would be in a few years time or so, so don't bother your friend on my account but thanks for the offer :) the language just fascinates me, because it sounds so lovely and the words are so complex!

Now OP

I speak English, and a little bit of French (GCSE) and understand slightly more French than I can speak, and a lot more than I'm willing to speak! I also took 3 years of German before I started my GCSEs (I did French as well then) but I'm pretty sure I've forgotten most of it now. I find reading and writing to be easier than speaking and listening in all languages.

I like gaelic, I think it's. very interesting language.

Ben

Alex, in Denmark, would you call a Danish pastry just a pastry? Or do you call it a Danish pastry.  

Alex
Alex, in Denmark, would you call a Danish pastry just a pastry? Or do you call it a Danish pastry.  

We call Danish pastry "Wienerbrød" which basically means Viennese bread, since it originated from Vienna. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_pastry

HalfFull

My degree was in Languages and Business and I studied 3 languages: French, German and Portuguese. Portuguese was only one module and I did it simply to experience a different language. I could have done the second Portuguese module but did another module instead. German was my minor language which I did for the full 4 years and by the end had a good working knowledge. French was my main language which meant I had to do Year 3 in a French speaking country. I studied at the University in Le Havre and lived in Halls, so by the end of the year was Fluent. I've also got an A in GCSE Spanish. I've not done much with my languages for a while and kind of lost touch with the people I met over there, but I have a bit more free time on my hands these days and intend to do something to at least 'experience' these languages. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to have Sky where I live which means no French TV channels. I did once try to join up to one of the French Language meet-up groups but something went wrong with my application and I never got round to trying again. Last time I looked it up I couldn't find it although there was a Spanish one nearby. However I'd much rather join a French one as thats where my passion really lies.

Heather

I haven't learned much for languages. I learned French in school and so I know some basic french. I learned a little bit of some other languages and and want to learn German. I am in the process of learning Welsh!  I found this lovely site (SaySomethingInWelsh.com) and they teach you welsh through purely audio and no written stuff and it's really cool because I know a bit of Welsh now, though I stopped listening regularly so haven't  been learning as quickly now as I could've been, but I still remember what I've learned!  It's cool :) Though I wouldn't know how to spell most of the words! haha and also my boyfriend taught me some because he knows the language.  And he is really good with languages.. So is my older sister who took a BA in Linguistics.

Nesf
I speak Danish, English and a little German, but my German skills are very rusty after years of not studying it. Also, I understand a lot of Norwegian and Swedish. 

I quite like learning new languages. Not necessarily easy, but I do think I am good at learning new languages. My favorite language would have to be English, mainly because it sounds nice and there's way more words to use than in Danish.

I would like to eventually learn to speak Norwegian and not just understand it. My father speaks it, so maybe he can teach me :)

The new generations here in Denmark don't really learn a lot of the old Danish words, so our language is turning more and more monotonous. In fact, there's a video sketch made by some Norwegians, where the Danish language is falling apart and no one understands eachother anymore. It might not be funny for someone who isn't scandinavian, but here it is anyway:

And by the way, this is not how Danish sounds...It's gibberish :P

Your English is excellent! I wouldn't have know that it wasn't your mother tongue if you hadn't told us.  I don't quite get this video... how come Norwegians are making a video about the Danish language? Why is it gibberish and falling apart? Are they using od Danish words or something?

I like languages. I have only learnt some German and some Latin - German at school and I did some exams on it and I found it quite easy to understand but I wasn't very good at speaking it! 

I chose to learn Latin in my spare time, it kind of led on from my other interests. I really liked it and I found I learnt it a lot easier because I had an interest in where the language came from and I wanted to read stories, that were in Latin! I used to write out all the verb lists and memorise them. 

I would love to learn Greek  :) Maybe I could teach myself that as well. 

I could help you if you wanted to learn modern Greek :)

My degree was in Languages and Business and I studied 3 languages: French, German and Portuguese. Portuguese was only one module and I did it simply to experience a different language. I could have done the second Portuguese module but did another module instead. German was my minor language which I did for the full 4 years and by the end had a good working knowledge. French was my main language which meant I had to do Year 3 in a French speaking country. I studied at the University in Le Havre and lived in Halls, so by the end of the year was Fluent. I've also got an A in GCSE Spanish. I've not done much with my languages for a while and kind of lost touch with the people I met over there, but I have a bit more free time on my hands these days and intend to do something to at least 'experience' these languages. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to have Sky where I live which means no French TV channels. I did once try to join up to one of the French Language meet-up groups but something went wrong with my application and I never got round to trying again. Last time I looked it up I couldn't find it although there was a Spanish one nearby. However I'd much rather join a French one as thats where my passion really lies.

It's good to see that someone else shares me passion for languages :) is there a university nearby? I know that sometimes universities organise language meet-ups - mine did.

Ben

My ex tired to teach me Gujarati, Hindi and Punjabi. I only picked up a few phrases. Kese ho = Hello in Hindi, and Prem kar pro ta me. = I love you in Gujarati. That was all I picked up.