Nedarb

Sexism and Society

Nedarb

Hi to whoever reads this. I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about the current state of our society and there are some things that really bother me. For the last year I have been hearing about how sexism towards certain genders is rampant and feminism has been all the rage especially in the last few years. I wrote a note about a similar topic in the fall regarding a former male radio broadcaster in my country. But what I'm going to talk about today is sexism. 

I was watching the latest episode of Survivor yesterday (yeah I still watch it) and a male contestant made a comment like "Women should be held to a higher standard in life than men." This rubbed many people the wrong way and he was called a misogynist. I do believe that his comment was not exactly the most tactful but I did see some logic behind his comment. For instance I do see that there are some girls who go to bars, whose goal it is is to get hit on by guys. These girls intentionally objectify themselves and seem to enjoy the fact that they are treated as pieces of meat. I don't know if that was what the guy was thinking of when he made this comment, but if it was, how is this not being respectful of women by basically saying that they deserve better than that?

After watching the episode I began to think about how society reacts to sexism. In the news you hear about male students in universities allegedly making misogynistic comments and how male students are allegedly sexually assaulting female students. These males are immediately treated as scum and the media does not even appear to question the females who made the accusations. And yet when a female chops off a male's genitals and throws it in the trash, there is hardly a peep. Nor is there a peep from the media when a female gets revenge on a male for breaking up with her by getting someone to murder him! Except from female talk shows laughing it up with their 99% female audience and chanting "Girl power!" And on most commercials involving males and females, it makes the man look as dopey as possible for not knowing simple functions. 

Why does sexism against women cause a gigantic uproar, but sexism against men is considered "Girl power"? Is this what gender equality passes itself off as today?

Dolphin

I am against sexism but towards both genders, not just women. I think the reason sexism against women causes more of a stir is because it has been ingrained in society for such a long time that people don't want it to continue to be unnoticed. Also men are still in a stronger position socially (overall) so there is generally more of a problem for women than men. But I don't agree with any sort of sexism towards men. Also just because a lot of women tolerate a misogynistic society, it doesn't mean it is healthy, fair or morally correct. A lot of people who have grown up with something can find it hard to understand the wrong in it, same with violence or theft. It's such a psychological and emotional mess that you can't just assume because some women accept it, it must be fine to carry on treating them that way. 

Choco Otter

I don't know really. I've never really understood the current state of society - maybe the name "feminism" is wrong now, it should be called "gender equalist" as in wanting equality for all genders.

But it seems that discrimination is very much still present in society. A white person can say something offensive to someone of another race and be called out on that, but someone black can be racist and that is "OK". I think you need to be able to call out discrimination without fear of offending other people.

brokenOne

I could go into a long discussion about this but i dont know if you are familiar with MGTOW or not. It essentially started out as part of the MRA and branched off and became its own thing. I dont believe in marriage for a multitude of reasons, for one its extremely dangerous for the man and the laws are also not in favor of the man. There was a study done the other day about how 70% of men over here in America ages 20-34 are not getting married and its continuing to drop. I follow the MGTOW lifestyle and its one of the best things i did for myself. Also i might add i see the term Misogynist thrown around at the drop of a dime and its complete BS. Its basically to the point where a man isn't allowed to have a separate opinion or his own train of thought without being labeled sexist. 

Edited by brokenOne

Ben

Hi to whoever reads this.

Hi. 

L Lawliet

Some women objectify themselves, as do some men. But not all of them. I guess if I went out in a low cut top and short skirt, people might think I'm objectifying myself, but actually I would wear it because it made me feel good about myself. Plus I'm in a happy relationship, I'm definitely not looking for attention from others, but I'm happy and this makes me confident to wear what I want.

Is feminism all the rage? When I ask people if they are a feminist, most people don't know what it is. They assume it's about man hating and something lesbians go on about. One of my guy friends was suprised when I called him a feminist, when I explained what it meant, he was just like "oh, never thought of it like that, yes I do believe in women having equal opportunities as men".

I really admire the HeForShe campaign. Emma Watson has been standing up for this recently. Did anyone watch her UN speech? It was incredible.

Nedarb

Some women objectify themselves, as do some men. But not all of them. I guess if I went out in a low cut top and short skirt, people might think I'm objectifying myself, but actually I would wear it because it made me feel good about myself. Plus I'm in a happy relationship, I'm definitely not looking for attention from others, but I'm happy and this makes me confident to wear what I want.

Is feminism all the rage? When I ask people if they are a feminist, most people don't know what it is. They assume it's about man hating and something lesbians go on about. One of my guy friends was suprised when I called him a feminist, when I explained what it meant, he was just like "oh, never thought of it like that, yes I do believe in women having equal opportunities as men".

I really admire the HeForShe campaign. Emma Watson has been standing up for this recently. Did anyone watch her UN speech? It was incredible.

But is feminism really about gender equality? I am skeptical of this movement that claims to be for gender equality, while supporting the HeForShe campaign. Women face discrimination and its up to men to stand up for them and end female discrimination. Because men never face discrimination, right? And men don't have to deal with laws that shun them simply for being men, right? And men have never been forced to serve in the military, right? And there aren't commercials that basically call men idiots, right?

Theres a saying: Actions speak louder than words. If feminism was really about gender equality, the campaign would be called something like UsForWe. You know, ending discrimination for BOTH genders. Perhaps its time for many in the feminist movement to look up polls that show while most people support gender equality, most of them don't consider themselves feminists.

nichii
Sexism is a strange thing. I support feminism, but modern day feminism is really weird. It went from women should have the same rights as men to all men should die and women should be superior. The hashtag #allmenshoulddie (or something similar to that) was trending on Twitter one day. There are plenty of feminists that still believe in the real meaning of feminism, but the Tumblr feminists are the ones who stand out so the other feminists aren't noticed as much anymore.

I wish we could all just get along and support equality instead of acting like one gender is better than another one. In some countries like Japan, you see sexism a lot and men are treated a lot better than women. This happens in every country, but some countries it's worse. We're all human, yet we're still treated differently. Not just because of gender, but also because of things like mental illness. I'd like to live in a world where everyone is treated equally, but sadly, I don't think that day will ever come.

史越瀚

I read quite a bit of feminist scholarship in grad school and did a minor field in gender studies.  I'm strongly supportive of the feminist project in the way it was articulated in the 1970s - which was for women to achieve legal and social equality with men, for women to express themselves in an authentic way, as opposed to simply expressing themselves in the way that patriarchal society programs them, and to replace patriarchy with a more equitable and humane society. Unfortunately, I feel like feminism as a theory kind of peaked in the late 70s or early 80s, and the "feminism" of today is a joke.  A lot of contemporary Western feminism, as far as I can tell, just seems to be about making women "successful" according to our (patriarchal) society's definition of "success."  So people like Hilary Clinton are now taken to represent "feminism."  Or the right for women to serve in the army is seen as a "victory" for women....But the feminism of the 70s was not just about women being treated the same as men, it was about remaking the society as a whole into something different and better.   

null

I read quite a bit of feminist scholarship in grad school and did a minor field in gender studies.  I'm strongly supportive of the feminist project in the way it was articulated in the 1970s - which was for women to achieve legal and social equality with men, for women to express themselves in an authentic way, as opposed to simply expressing themselves in the way that patriarchal society programs them, and to replace patriarchy with a more equitable and humane society. Unfortunately, I feel like feminism as a theory kind of peaked in the late 70s or early 80s, and the "feminism" of today is a joke.  A lot of contemporary Western feminism, as far as I can tell, just seems to be about making women "successful" according to our (patriarchal) society's definition of "success."  So people like Hilary Clinton are now taken to represent "feminism."  Or the right for women to serve in the army is seen as a "victory" for women....But the feminism of the 70s was not just about women being treated the same as men, it was about remaking the society as a whole into something different and better.   

I hate the way that the patriarchal definition of success is seen by so many people as be all and end all of how someone is perceived. It encourages people to constantly be in direct competition with each other, crushing their opponents and destroying anything that gets in their way of 'success'. It creates social divides which is going to be our downfall if we're not careful. Sure, the obsession with this kind of 'success' may be useful in nature but humans have become mostly separate from nature and the only way society will move forward is if we cooperate with each other more.

Kind of went off on a tangent there but I think it's relevant in a way as the societal importance of 'success' is a large part of why women have been so often oppressed throughout history - this notion of 'success' is essentially an alpha-male ideology, after all