Height and dating  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Would you date a shorter man/taller woman?

• Im a man and I would date a taller woman but only 1 or 2 inches taller
    • Im a man and I would date a taller woman but no more than 4 inches taller
    • Im a man and I would date a much taller woman
    • No she has to be my height or shorter
    • Im a woman and I would date a shorter man but only 1 or 2 inches shorter
    • Im a woman and I would date a shorter man but no more than 4 inches shorter
    • Im a woman and I would date a much shorter man
    • No he has to be taller then me.
    • I'm gay
  2. 2. For women, what is your minimum height requirement in a man?

• 5 ft tall
    • 5 ft 1
    • 5 ft 2
    • 5 ft 3
    • 5 ft 4
    • 5 ft 5
    • 5 ft 6
    • 5 ft 7
    • 5 ft 8
    • 5 ft 9
    • 5 ft 10
    • 5 ft 11
    • 6 ft or taller
    • Don't have a height requirement. Would date any man regardless of height.
    • I'm a lesbian
    • I'm a guy
  3. 3. For men, what is the tallest woman you would date?

• 5 ft 3 or shorter
    • 5 ft 4
    • 5 ft 5
    • 5 ft 6
    • 5 ft 7
    • 5 ft 8
    • 5 ft 9
    • 5 ft 10
    • 5 ft 11
    • 6 ft 0
    • 6 ft 1
    • 6 ft 2
    • 6 ft 3
    • 6 ft 4
    • 6 ft 5 or taller
    • Don't have a height requirement. Would date any woman regardless of her height.
    • I'm gay
    • I'm a woman.

Asgardian

Thanks for putting words in my mouth. I never said that young women should feel terrible about themselves. But they shouldn't be told that they are gods gift to the world and that everyone should worship the ground they walk on either. With all of these beauty campaigns, female support groups, etc that indoctrinate young women to thinking that they can never do wrong and that everyone of them deserves their prince charming. There is absolutely NOTHING for young men other than telling them to not rape, shut up and listen to women, don't lie to women, hold the door for women, etc. Society teaches that young men are bastards, or that we are just too stupid and need to be told how to behave. 

Again this is the brutal honest truth that nobody, especially the media, ever talks about. Think about when you were younger, Phil. How many times were you told by your parents or teachers or the television to be chivalrous? And happy wife=happy life?

I didn't put words in your mouth, that implies that I suggested that was what you said. I implied that your view gives off that impression. And your response does not really disprove my view. What is wrong with beauty campaigns? Sure, we shouldn't be too vain, but there is nothing wrong with taking pride in your appearance. And I am sorry, but how can you sit there and complain about female support groups, yet you say that women shouldn't feel terrible about themselves? Perhaps those support groups are needed? Just a thought...

Also, men should be taught not to rape because rape is wrong. Lying is wrong so there is nothing wrong with being told not to lie. And don't get me started on holding the door for women, is holding the door really that much of an effort? I don't think there are many men that think holding a door open for women is that big a deal  :huh:

And I can tell you how many times I was told those things - never. I don't need to be told to be "chivalrous", I just know being polite to women (or anybody for that matter) is the right thing to do. I have not been told to by the media, nor would I listen if I was, because it is my choice to be polite. And I have never heard of "happy wife=happy life" so I have no comment on that.

King_oni

I can't seem to shake the idea we had a similar poll recently. Oh well

I quite like tall women, given that proportions are correct. Seems to be an issue with tall people in general, it starts looking freakish at some point. And that, by itself isn't my preference in aesthetics. But I could date a taller woman; I'm 6'1-ish... 185cm and I wouldn't mind 6'5+ actually. Another issue I might have with it is all the health issues it brings. So many things one could prefer or favor that might be bigger, can bring health issues. I recall an ex-girlfriend with, based on the norm, quite huge pair of.. can I say boobs? Yeah, I can :P while she liked having them (at least, that's what she told me) she did have back pains because of it at times. And with tall people it's not unheard of to have all kinds of issues with their backs, knee joints and all that... and that's where fun stops and practical issues come up.

But yeah, I like tall women, but I can't say I dislike short women though. I don't have minimum requirements; but again, if everything is in proportion. 

So for me the key here is "proper proportion" not neccesarily "the right height".

Edited by King_oni

Whoknows

Who cares? I'll date anywoman right away! :D:lol:

Well, the one I like. :wub:

TheWizardofCalculus

And how many of those men, who desire a girl with a large breast size and supermodel thin waist, will absolutely refuse to give females who are overweight but small chested a chance? Thats the point I'm trying to make: At least from my experience, males will overlook appearance "faults" as long as the female has a good personality and is intelligent. When was the last time you've seen a female going out with a short and chunky male? Aside from older males, you don't see it. And I'm not even going to go into that!

Frankly, most of the women who I know who are overweight and flat-chested aren't getting any dates.  Or at least, if they are, it's with a man or woman who's about equally as attractive as they are.

To quote House, "Integers match integers.  3's date 3's, 10's date 10's.  It's a fact of life."

Honestly?

I think there are a lot of men who won't look twice at a woman who isn't considered extremely attractive. I think society has become rather shallow both ways. Many women look for looks only, but I don't think it can be said that it is only women. Men have become like this as well.

This is not an issue of gender, it is an issue of humans, male or female. I think to aim that accusation at women alone is a little unfair. Plus, it is not every single male or female who feels this way. We should avoid trying to suggest everyone is exactly the same.

Yeah, I agree.  I think that my conclusion at the end of my previous post pretty much summates this issue:  People are shitty.  But women aren't any shittier than men, and men aren't any shittier than women.

That's a huge generalisation to make and it's simply not true that all women are like that. I've seen plenty of women with short and chunky men. In fact pretty much every time I go out in town I'm likely to see at least one couple like this. What are you basing these assumptions on?

Well, I surely wouldn't say that I've met plenty, but I have a couple.  To be fair to Nedarb, I would say that on average when this happens, it's because that man has an elevated social standing.

I'm basing these assumptions on the fact that they are true. At least here in Canada (hence why I said from my experience), and in college or high school or a school environment in general. Maybe attitudes are a little different in the UK and men aren't given the conveyer belt treatment from women, but its pretty terrible to be a "below average" young male in Canada in the dating world. 

You mean that you're basing them on your perception.  It's pretty shitty to be a below average human of any age of life, of any gender, and anywhere in the world.  That's why it's called "being below average."

I'm not disagreeing with what I think is your actual point, which is that trying to get the attention of women is a borderline-to-literally torturous experience for men, particularly with aspergers.  But that doesn't make women, as an entire group, more or less selfish than men are.  It just means that trying to get dates largely ends up making men feel shitty about themselves, and that romantic and sexual desires frankly are not some cracker-fuck-jack wonderful thing like the movies make them out to be.  Nor does it mean --so I'm told because damned if I have anymore experience than you do (save perhaps at getting rejected)-- that once you are in a relationship it gets any better.  That's life.

At the end of the day, you can either deal with that and date women who're in the same boat as you (Just keep on asking, get rejected. lower your standards, and keep at this do-while loop until you have a date), or maybe you'll decide it's not worth your time.  Personally, I think that dating is way too much effort, so piss on that.  But everyone makes their own choice, and they're not better or worse people for it.

But they're not true. You're basing that on high school and university, which is entirely different from adult life.

Also quite true. But honestly, when you're in high school it's practically impossible to explain to someone inside of high school what a load of shit high school is.

Edited by TheWizardofCalculus

ponz

Too many things to quote, so I'll just type. XD

The person who started this whole thing about women in Canada seems to be basing their opinion on highly biased personal observations and experiences, not objective facts. =/

From what I've seen, females are mostly treated poorly for being less attractive than males, however males are seen as lesser for their (lack of) achievements more than females. Society typically judges each sex. The reason beauty campaigns exist is because society and media has put so much focus and pressure on girls and women needing to look like supermodels in order to have worth. Since the standards for appearance are so high, most females can't reach them, which causes self esteem issues, and thusly the beauty campaigns.

Also, I'm a rather decent looking bio female, and I've dated a guy shorter than me and several much heavier than me, etc. So while I'm not Canadian, I can say that there are plenty of females like me, but not only me, that date for personality, not just looks.

But of course, as it's been stated, there are shallow people in both sexes, so there's no way to sum up how any one group acts.