Ben

Things You Believe But Can't Prove.

Ben
That some people are in fact liars :/

No!!!! Don't be silly. You can trust me, I'm a humanitarian. 

Nesf

That life exists on other planets somewhere in the universe.

That global warming is happening

That many unknown and secret experiments are taking place into genetics, even human cloning.

That cures for many  medical conditions such as cancer exist, but they are keeping them from us in the interests of selling more drugs.

mary
That cures for many  medical conditions such as cancer exist, but they are keeping them from us in the interests of selling more drugs.

Agreed!  I know my mother believes this too.

Sofi

The thing with AS/ASD people forcing themselves into social situations regularly is definitely a good idea and will help improve these skills, but I really think it is important to remember and respect that, that is going to be a lot more difficult for some, less functioning individuals. It will cause setbacks in some individuals and if you are including those with severe classic autism, it's not really going to help an awful lot at all. 

I'd never use autism as an excuse,  but I'm never going to deny it's what I have and I've come to realise that there are some things I'll always struggle with... That's why I have the diagnosis. I improved on a lot of behaviours and learnt a lot as a child and I'm now a lot more higher functioning than I used to, as a result, so I definitely agree a lot can be improved on. 

mary

I don't believe you can be cured of AS / autism ... I believe we can improve and find different coping mechanisms for things as we go along, but we'll never be cured... it's part of our makeup.

I MUST have found coping mechanisms as my AS went undiagnosed for 34 and a bit years... and lots of people I've told have said that they wouldn't have thought I had it, but that's because I've found different ways around things... whether I've realised that's what I was doing or not at the time.

I've never let anything beat me in my life... if something was put in my way I found a way around it... one example being forced to go to a high school neither me or my mum wanted me to go to.  I was not allowed to go to the high school that was attached to the school I went to because I lived on the wrong side of the road.  So, I got an aviation scholarship and went to a school that was over an hour and a half / two hour bus ride away, because there was no way I was going to the school in my catchment area.  That's just one example... but yeah... you find ways, even if you don't realise you're doing it and for what reason you're doing it.

I haven't found the one about 'friends' yet though... I'm still always being screwed over with that one.

iggy
The cure is through building immunity to your symptoms. If you want to make someone immune to TB you inject them with a small amount of the virus so the body can fight it. 

With an aspie, you throw them into difficult, stressful, social situations with regularity, so they build resilience. Through that they should learn survival techniques, or even start enjoying it. Like if you were in the desert, and you take tiny steps. You take enough tiny steps, and eventually you'll find yourself in the city. 

Then there's diet, that's a completely different story. 

But no one will agree with my words who doesn't want it bad enough. I know for me at least, and I'm not accusing anybody. But when I use the asperger card, I become very good at using excuses for my own failings. Sure it's more effort, but that doesn't mean something is impossible. 

I for one feel cured. That's how I have felt now for a long time. In fact I took an aspie test a while ago, and scored well, well below average. 

I believe this too, when you put it like this. A "cure" which takes away autism straight away is not something I believe in, because I believe autism is too close to the persona personality and curing autism would just take theirselves away, whereas a slower cure as a sort of "flooding therapy" would be a slower process which keeps the persons personality and allows them to adapt.

I have had improvements which i have noticed in regards to negative symptoms in the last couple of years or so. I'm not convinced that I'd ever be "cured" but maybe if in 10 years I was assessed again I may if I put my mind to it pass off as normal, or with some other thing instead. If you say you think you've been cured, then I'm happy to accept that ASD symptoms can be whittled away one at a time until you're (dare I say it) normal.

Alex

One thing is to discuss wether autism can or cannot be cured. But do we want it to be cured? 

Personally, I do not want my traits to be taken away. They are part of what makes me who I am. However, I would like my anxiety to be cured. My social anxiety, my general anxiety - All of that which makes my life a nightmare sometimes.

I do realise that my anxiety is caused by my aspergers. It is not caused by a psychological difference, it is caused by a neurological difference. Which in turn means that I can't be cured of my anxiety, unless my aspie traits were taken away. However, I can learn to cope with my anxiety and reduce it.

mary
One thing is to discuss wether autism can or cannot be cured. But do we want it to be cured? 

Personally, I do not want my traits to be taken away. They are part of what makes me who I am. However, I would like my anxiety to be cured. My social anxiety, my general anxiety - All of that which makes my life a nightmare sometimes.

I do realise that my anxiety is caused by my aspergers. It is not caused by a psychological difference, it is caused by a neurological difference. Which in turn means that I can't be cured of my anxiety, unless my aspie traits were taken away. However, I can learn to cope with my anxiety and reduce it.

You make a very interesting point Alex.  I wonder how many people would actually want to be cured of their autism / AS, whatever they have that makes them different.  I don't think I'd want to be 'cured'... it is AS that has made me who I am, for the good points or the bad points.  I would have probably done a little better in the social stakes if I had understood why I was so different but you can't live with regrets right!?  You have to keep moving forward...

I get that lots of people have been affected in more profound ways than myself and that I have been pretty fortunate, but I believe some of that has to do with my upbringing as well and the way in which we were not allowed to say we couldn't do something, we had to at least try.

Having AS / autism doesn't have to be a sentence to being different in a 'bad' way.  We should be able to celebrate our differences, for in some ways we are luckier than those who are NT.  We experience things in very different ways to NTs and that's not necessarily a bad thing.  I believe that we have the ability to be far more compassionate than our NT counterparts at times, and that is in no way a bad thing.  And that's just one example of why it's not always so bad to be 'us'.

Edit...

You know what should be cured?!  People thinking that we are somehow lesser people because of our diagnosis or their lack of understanding and how to deal with us.

Mike_GX101

1. The idea that E.T. might be some advanced being belonging to an inter-galactic eco-system to which we're also a part and happen to be further down the food chain.

2. The idea that our living reality is in fact a virtual reality created by some higher advanced race for purposes unknown.  Perhaps we're all spinning on some super CD on some super computer somewhere and...well...who knows but I might be the only one here and everyone else could be virtual characters and everything I've ever experienced could be a virtually simulated history.

3. The idea that ghosts might be life forms we haven't yet come across because when one thinks how easily radio waves and exotic particles pass through matter as if it isn't even there (because on a microscopic level matter is riddled with holes) it isn't totally beyond to consider that maybe there might be life forms that permeate that sub-atomic level too; perhaps like sub-atomic insects and some (perhaps like bees) swarm together and form a perceivable 'projection' as some 'higher' form of communication that can be seen by larger life forms such as us.  Sadly we miss the communicational attempts and either disbelieve those who have seen them or if we see them we run with shock not realising there may be more to them than meets the eye.

Smithy The Wizard

Aliens

Ghosts

Area 51 doing strange expiriments

That someone really did time travel back to the LHC (Large Haddron Collider)