No Longer Here

Sensory Overload In Coffee Shops Video

No Longer Here

This video was just shared by a friend on Facebook. It is the most painfully accurate video of my experience I have ever seen.

*BEWARE*

IT IS SO ACCURATE IT TRIGGERED AN AUTISTIC MELTDOWN IN ME!

Carly's Café - Experience Autism Through Carly's Eyes: https://youtu.be/KmDGvquzn2k

null

Blimey, I never realised just how intense some people's sensory overloads can be

TheWizardofCalculus

Some of that sounds quite a bit like sensory overloads, but those types of things don't trigger my overloads, or at least not like that.  Usually coffee shops don't bother me, although sometimes they can.  Lots of people talking near where I can hear what they're saying distinctly is a serious problem for me.

Edited by TheWizardofCalculus

collectingrocks

That is some sensory overload - thanks for sharing - and what a nightmare for poor Carly. That'll be me at the end of a stressful day

oh and the "like" is for the posting of the video - not for what is happening to poor Carly

The Id

Well, I don't get the piano playing in the background but yea.

Interesting that it starts with her father interfering in her decision to have a certain type of coffee, him redirecting her choice to other things she doesn't want, and then bringing the wrong drink (hot chocolate). The last straw- her father (internally) interfering with her plan by saying/asking her to go with her sister.

Control hypersensitivity overload right there- nothing to do with the sounds around the cafe. Once a person is hypersensitised to something like judgement or control, they are predetermined to have these episodes for the rest of their life, or until they resolve the reason they are hypersensitised to it.

[edited: wow, I didn't realise how much of the video was in her internal voice... it seemed so normal to have that inner voice to me I totally missed it]

Edited by The Id

RiRi

Well, I tried watching the video a second time because I read the comments and thought maybe I missed the brother, but yeah, it was the dad. I couldn't keep watching as it's so horrible and annoying to me. I'm glad my overloads aren't as bad. *takes deep breath* or maybe they are and I haven't realized it. What I do have is that usually when there's like 3 people all trying to talk to me, it's hard to keep up. I have someone asking me a question in one side, someone telling me to pass the plates on the other, another person asking me if they can drink water. Then, that's when I miss things and I have to ask for things to be repeated to me or I'm paying attention to the second person that I miss what the other people say. 

Blimey, I never realised just how intense some people's sensory overloads can be

I agree. I don't think mine are as bad as in the video. I sounds so annoying if everything is already like that.  :unsure:

Primeape

Its what i expercience not just in coffee shop but most places can be difficult

RiRi

Its what i expercience not just in coffee shop but most places can be difficult

Just how it is in the video? :( Mine aren't that bad, the noises I don't think are that loud for me, or at least I don't think. :unsure: My attitude does change drastically when I'm outside. I'm happy and as soon as I'm outside having to pay attention to everything and everyone, my bad side comes out. I go from :) to :mellow: which looks like a :( or :angry:. That's when I have to fake it that I don't want to be there. I can't help hearing things from different locations, I hear things in one side, I turn and look, hear something else, same and sometimes so as to not seem too weird I try not turn. lol I don't know if anyone else does that.

Primeape

Yeah it can be has bad has that in the vid for me i have hyper sensative hearing

Like yesterday i was i a different room to someone else when i was at the day centre, when they was eating i could hear him using a fork to scrape and it sounded like it was right next to me

And i get what you mean i sometime do actually turn around and look cant help but hear things pfrom different locations like you said Anna

RiRi

Yeah it can be has bad has that in the vid for me i have hyper sensative hearing

Like yesterday i was i a different room to someone else when i was at the day centre, when they was eating i could hear him using a fork to scrape and it sounded like it was right next to me

And i get what you mean i sometime do actually turn around and look cant help but hear things pfrom different locations like you said Anna

I see. I don't think I can imagine what that would be like, but maybe I am a little hyper sensitive to sound. I can hear people talking outside my apartment even though it's floors below and sometimes I do hear them as if they are close to me. Sometimes when people talk outside, I'm like, "Who's that?" Does that happen to you as well?