No Longer Here

Sensory Overload In Coffee Shops Video

(deleted)

According to Wikipedia, ECT is supposed to be voluntary. Either Carly would have had to have given permission or her father would have done it for her due to her communication difficulties. But I still don't know why it was even considered, as she was able to communicate and somehow I think that was all that was really needed (as she would never be a "normal" person anyway, and I don't know why they couldn't just accept that and embrace her communication abilities than risk losing her communication abilities for little to no gain). However it is not normally thought to have such dramatic side effects for such a long period of time.

MagicBard

wow, it sucks that it had such a negative effect on her communication.

Edited by MagicBard

MagicBard

They do say an Asperger brain is wired differently. I wonder if that had something to do with the outcome of that.

Edited by MagicBard

(deleted)

They do say an Asperger brain is wired differently. I wonder if that had something to do with the outcome of that.

ECT has been used on Autistic people and it has never been mentioned that it has that kind of effect.

MagicBard

ECT has been used on Autistic people and it has never been mentioned that it has that kind of effect.

What were they trying to "cure" or "fix" with it?  seems rather extreme to me

(deleted)

What were they trying to "cure" or "fix" with it?  seems rather extreme to me

Carly wanted it because she said that her OCD was getting unbearable for her.

Michael-D

Hopefully her brain will sort itself out.   I don't feel so bad now I know that it was Carly who wanted to try the treatment, and it may not be related to it anyway....

I struggled with OCD in my mid teens to early 20s.  I also found that I needed to check everything many times.  

(deleted)

I don't feel so bad now I know that it was Carly who wanted to try the treatment [...]

It is still sad though that it had that effect on her, especially when she was hoping that it would help her :( .

Michael-D

It is still sad though that it had that effect on her, especially when she was hoping that it would help her :( .

So do I.

I strongly believe her brain will sort itself out.  I know it's different but we see this happen with people who have head trauma and strokes.  I really want her to succeed and enjoy life to the best of her abilities.