No Longer Here

Sensory Overload In Coffee Shops Video

babymia

Always loved that video she's done amazingly since finding her self and ways to communicate :) awesome

Summer

This is pretty close to what it feels like to me, worse sometimes, except that it also hurts, which can't really be conveyed well in a video.

Catman2018

When I watched I starting to get really pissed off, and upset.  I could my tension rising with anger.  I starting to have a headache from this video.  

Mike_GX101

If you ever eye the kitchen to the average cafe you will find a lot of equipment you wouldn't find in your average kitchen.  The ages when there would have been just a single kettle boiling in the back of a cafe are gone it seems.  These days there is often a great sprawl of various shiny coffee machines and a vast array of sundries which go with them making up what could be considered to be a production line, with each worker performing a particular function again and again repetitively!  Over time these repeated tasks become more and more automatic, and with six or seven people doing this, in acoustical terms, it becomes an environment awash by a turbulent sea of noise.  You have to admire the way they work so effectively as a team, working literally like clockwork.

Sadly for the customer, sat right next to their magnificent production line trying to enjoy a short break from their own work, it can often be a different story.  As they turn the page of their newspaper CLANG!  They look up.  CLANG!  Some shiny metallic contraption is being hit repeatedly to clear a filter.  CLANG!  Grrrr....CLATTER CLATTER!  Some plates shoved in a dishwasher.  THUD THUD!  The door of the dishwasher slammed once then twice to make it engage THUD!  PURRRRR  The sound of the dishwasher starting up.  ACHOOO!  One of them sneezes.  TWANG!  A tea-spoon being banged on a mug.  ROARRRR!!!!  The dishwasher getting louder.  CREAK!  A cupboard door opened THUD! the cupboard door slammed shut again.  TWANG!  Another tea-spoon TINKLE TINKLE TINKLE TWANG!  CLANG CLANG!  The filter being cleared again.  THUD!  Another door slammed.  ROARRRRRR!  RUSHHHHHHHH!  A frothy coffee being poured.  ACHOOO!  Someone sneezes again.  WOOF WOOF  A dog outside.  CLANG!  Onto the second paragraph of the newspaper CLANG!  CLANG!  TWANG!  TINKLE TINKLE!  WOOF!  THUD!  TWANG!  BLEEEEEP!  Some alarm.  BUZZZZZ ROARRRR The dishwasher mode changing TWANG TWANG!

The customer abruptly gets up and leaves leaving the newspaper open but unread.

It happens.

I always sit as far away from the work areas as I can when I'm tired.  You can do a lot to minimise the effect including sitting with screens between yourself and the work areas if they're provided.  Have a glance around the cafe of interest before you order your drink.  Have a look, for example, to see where the largest concentration of people reading are sat (a good clue as to the quietest areas in the cafe).  Look out for the areas that are gridlocked with traffic - large loud groups and people constantly coming and going.  Definitely areas to avoid.  And lastly, if there are no quiet areas in the cafe and you are tired then shop around.  If you're with a friend and you're not comfortable with the venue then suggest an alternative.  You don't have to be uncomfortable. 

Edited by Mike_GX101

No Longer Here

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Although I hate the thought of anyone else suffering like I do in that environment it is also strangely comforting that it is not unique to me.

(deleted)
Sadly for the customer, sat right next to their magnificent production line trying to enjoy a short break from their own work, it can often be a different story.  As they turn the page of their newspaper CLANG!  They look up.  CLANG!  Some shiny metallic contraption is being hit repeatedly to clear a filter.  CLANG!  Grrrr....CLATTER CLATTER!  Some plates shoved in a dishwasher.  THUD THUD!  The door of the dishwasher slammed once then twice to make it engage THUD!  PURRRRR  The sound of the dishwasher starting up.  ACHOOO!  One of them sneezes.  TWANG!  A tea-spoon being banged on a mug.  ROARRRR!!!!  The dishwasher getting louder.  CREAK!  A cupboard door opened THUD! the cupboard door slammed shut again.  TWANG!  Another tea-spoon TINKLE TINKLE TINKLE TWANG!  CLANG CLANG!  The filter being cleared again.  THUD!  Another door slammed.  ROARRRRRR!  RUSHHHHHHHH!  A frothy coffee being poured.  ACHOOO!  Someone sneezes again.  WOOF WOOF  A dog outside.  CLANG!  Onto the second paragraph of the newspaper CLANG!  CLANG!  TWANG!  TINKLE TINKLE!  WOOF!  THUD!  TWANG!  BLEEEEEP!  Some alarm.  BUZZZZZ ROARRRR The dishwasher mode changing TWANG TWANG!

Your description is VERY realistic, but I really don't know why it has to be so noisy. I mean, I'm sure they could work just as well on the production line without making so much noise :unsure: .

Mike_GX101

Your description is VERY realistic, but I really don't know why it has to be so noisy. I mean, I'm sure they could work just as well on the production line without making so much noise :unsure: .

It is a very good point.  Why does anyone have to be loud?  Why do some people drive by with music pumping out so loud that the windows are rattling?!?  Why do some people who get lots of phone calls have to have really loud annoying ring tones in the library?  Why?!?

In the case of the noisy cafe scene, maybe they had a bad day and are just trying to release some tension.  Perhaps they are musicians and they're trying to turn their clockwork productivity into an acoustical classic, or maybe a piece that would be more at home down the track of heavy metal!!  Maybe even they don't really want to be there and are just trying to add a bit of meaning to it all.  Maybe some of them don't like the customers who are sat there reading their newspapers, watching them as they work and generally just sat there doing nothing; not everyone likes to be watched as they work.  Or maybe they're just loud people?!?

Whatever the reason loud people are everywhere.  Tell them to be quiet and many will get LOUDER.  All you can do is let them be and go elsewhere.  I've heard loud people complain before now about quiet places: "Oh this place is too quiet - let's stir things up!" they say as they bring with them a flood of loud people. 

Besides, even those who prefer silence, are likely to have had loud points during their life.  Ever laughed out loud or yelled in pain?  And that leads to another reason for people to be loud: mood.  There are of course loud moods and one of those is excitement!  You're excited about something or you're laughing in response to something.  When you laugh you don't think "oh there might be someone reading, I'd better not laugh out loud".  Often you don't exert that kind of control when you feel the impulse to laugh and then do.  We've likely all done it at some point.  If, when you laughed out loud uncontrollably (or yelled in pain at something) someone had jabbed a finger at you telling you not to laugh (or yell in pain), it probably wouldn't have made much difference!  Loud responses to things such as these cannot be stifled.  If the loud cafe scene are like that because it is a Saturday and they're excited about Saturday night then you won't have much chance telling them to be quiet!  If you're also looking forward to Saturday night you would likely be in harmony with their loud excitement and be equally loud!  If you're not then clearly it poses as a direct conflict of interest, in which case your best bet is to shop around.

Edited by Mike_GX101

Nesf

By far the worst thing are the cappuchino machines.

Mike_GX101

ROARRRRRR!  RUSHHHHHHHH!

(deleted)

Definitely. I cannot stand being in a coffee shop for that reason alone; the constant clattering would be just bearable without that really loud, annoying, sudden, and unpredictable hissing noise.