Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ben

Youth Offending Work, Should I still do It?

Ben

A while ago, I applied to do work for the youth offending service. I went through the CRB check, and the initial training and all that fun stuff, and they said they'll be in touch. 

For six months I heard nothing, so I assumed I had not been successful, or they didn't need me. Then today I got an Email, asking me to come down to their centre, to discuss my opportunities. 

I would still like to do a bit of youth work, but I've decided to go down the agricultural route, and study agriculture and farm maintenance in September. I also want to one day (Hopefully) run a restaurant, so can the youth work co exist with all of my other ambitions? 

Let me know your thought's, and thanks in advance. 

Willow

Well first of all, are you prepared for how hard that work could be? And you'd have to remain pretty judgment free around people who may not want your help and have done things which you don't agree with etc blah blah.

But other than that, can you really commit to it 100% (which with something like this you'd need to be) when you have other hopes and dreams which are going to take some of your time up (I assume you're starting a course in September)?

You don't want to 'jump in at the deep end' with all of these commitments and end up 'spreading yourself too thinly' and getting overwhelmed or stressed out from it all, which could result in you giving up on all of it as a worse case scenario. 

Ben

Course is in September yeah. 

The one thing that may come as a shock to you Willow, is how patient I am in real life. I can take things on the chin very easily, and I enjoy talking with youths and kids (not in a weird creepy way) 

But my other ambitions, are kind of selfish and will result in less time working with the kids. I would do a couple of days a week, but if I have to be appropriate adult sometime, I have to drop everything, and be there within an hour. But I think that is optional, since I'll be volunteering, I can choose what I do, and when. 

(I forgot to mention it's voluntary) But it's not any less significant, it will still require as much dedication. 

spiderwoman0_2

Is your course full time?  You might not have time to do the youth work and you wouldn't want to commit to something and then have to let them down.

Heather

Maybe you could discuss with them to try youth work before your course because September is still pretty far away and if you really like it then you can maybe see how your course goes and if you can handle being dedicated to the youth work too and go from there?  Also, if you are able to talk to youth well then there will probably be opportunities for that in the future.  Even owning a restaurant like you want to do, youth may come in.. maybe you can even organize some youth event at your restaurant or you could meet up with small groups or individual youth to discuss things and help them out and be a friend?  Just an option and what came to mind.

HalfFull

Anything is worth a try if not leaving you unneccessarily out of pocket. Maybe you could have a young persons restaurant aimed at promoting healthy eating from the teenage years.

mary

I think it's worth a go Ben.  If it's something that you've wanted to do you might find it enriches your life.  Even with wanting to do your course in September that's still some months away and you may find that it inspires you further.

I was just thinking about how you may be able to be one of these people that then helps others when they open a business and perhaps have a training programme in place whereby you offer a position for someone who has come out the other side and needs a paid job?

Just a thought or two! ;)

Ben

Ok, I've decided to just go for it. No one ever got anywhere by not trying something. I'm meeting with them in a week or so. Half full/Oakers I like it. Imagine me running an agricultural farm, growing my own stock for my steak house, and getting kids off the streets, and into chequered shirts, and denim overalls, and working on my farm. 

Is the vision a tall order? Yes, will it happen? Probably not. Is it worth a try anyway? Absolutely. 

Bruce

Best wishes with that!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.