BlackxBlade

Should marijuana be legalized?

Marijuana/Cannabis use.   

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently use cannabis?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Have you ever tried cannabis before?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you think marijuana should be legalized in your state/country?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have no opinion

BlackxBlade

Should cannabis/marijuana be legalized in your country? 

Why or why not? 

Please try to respect other's opinions here. 

King_oni

I live in a country where it's legalized, so there's that.

I don't have any particular opinion on people who use it. If you enjoy it, go ahead... that's pretty much my stance on all drugs, including alcohol.

The best argument I can bring why it shouldn't be illegal is that 1. it's a natural product. It's a plant and I just feel it's weird to make consumption, posession and distribution of a plant a criminal offense. 2. If I look at some other countries where it's illegal, especially in the US; all the people in jail because of posession of narcotics. With a crimerate that high and an extremely high number of people in prison already, I fail to see how being more strict and rigid about this is actually helping anything. The war on drugs is a losing battle IMO and has cost the US way too much. I guess the same can be said about other countries who criminalize posession of cannabis, it's just that with the extreme rates the US runs on (and seems to be overexposed in the media) that country is more like the go to reference here.

The more I think about it, the less I can see any reason why it should be illegal. Quite sure that any argument against marijuana can be pulled up against alcohol, cigarettes, coffee and then some and we might just as well punish any kind of behaviour that's divergent in the slightest from the norm. 

And for those who claim that marijuana and people under influence do "strange" things; yeah... look at how prohibition of alcohol worked almost 100 years ago. Yet, here we are, where drinking is perfectly legal, driving under influence is not, still people do it and at best, if you are so out of control you'll spend a night in jail or get a fine. It's not like you're doing hard time for that.

A final thing I'll say about marijuana and this is something my ex-girlfriend brought up. She lived in Amsterdam, which to plenty of people in the world is "weed central", lol. In The netherlands we tried to limit sales by making every shop that sells it a club of sorts and you need to have a membership card for it. While it didn't criminalize it, it was an attempt to control sales more. The result; more people started dealing it illegally. Result; it didn't help at all and there was even less control on it. The card system has been cancelled and everyone is free to buy at shops again.

Having it on the streets, just like with any drug creates a bigger risk of selling bad quality that's way more harmful than top quality that's legally been grown. I'd say, it creates job opportunities to have marijuana greenhouses. And it would surely help to get rid of all the bad stuff on the streets in favor of tested and certified much like you would have with any type of produce you find in supermarkets.

Edited by King_oni

brokenOne

Yea i think it should be legal. I dont smoke it myself, but Alcohol and Cigarettes are legal and kill way more people, im not exactly sure what they are trying to convey about marihuana.. I'm more along the lines of i dont really care what people do with their own bodies but just dont ask me to partake in your lifestyle choices and we will have no problems.

L Lawliet

Yes. I would rather hang out with people that smoke weed than people that drink alcohol. But I do think the same rules should apply for weed as they do cigarettes. Banned in public places, not smoked during pregnancy, around kids or around pets. It's still smoking at the end of the day. People should be aware of the health risks.

I think my main problem is that alcohol is legal and weed is not. I think alcohol should be classed as more dangerous personally. But that's just my opinion.

Nesf

I don't use it and don't ever want to. Like smoking tobacco, it smells and is bad for your health and your pocket. Like any drug, it has some potentially very harmful side effects, and for me the risks far outweigh the possible benefits. It's a natural product, but inhaling smoke into one's lungs is not a natural thing to do. It makes no sense to me. However, I don't see why it shouldn't be legalized - people will consume it regardless whether it's legal or not, so it wouldn't make a lot of difference, except that governments could put tax on it and make money from the industry as they do with tobacco. I'm surprised that more countries haven't made it legal for medicinal or personal consumption. I also think that the same laws should apply to its consumption as for tobacco smoking - not in public and not around children. People can be responsible for themselves in this matter, they don't need a law to tell them what they should and shouldn't do - as long as they keep it to themselves and don't impose it on others.

MrGrey

I have mixed feelings because I've met a few people who can't control it, to the point they can barely walk or talk, on a 24/7 basis.  

King_oni

I have mixed feelings because I've met a few people who can't control it, to the point they can barely walk or talk, on a 24/7 basis.  

The same could be said about liquor. Plenty of drunks unable to function.

A slight tangent on this; I've wondered how medical marijuana would work. I know from experience when I did smoke some pot, I obviously was not in the shape to parttake in any kind of responsibility, let alone a job.

But back on topic; I suppose the question is; does prohibiting a substance need to be in order to protect a few against themselves?

But I never understood addictions in general

TheWizardofCalculus

Yes, I think that it should.  This is mostly because I can't see a reason why it should be illegal.

Edited by TheWizardofCalculus

null

Definitely. While it doesn't work for everyone, it can also have a lot of benefits for others provided it's not overused. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that it's illegal to ingest certain substances. We should have the right to put what we want into our own bodies, for better or worse. The War on Drugs is an utter fallacy and causes far more problems that it resolves. Legalise drugs all I would be willing to bet my life that crime rates would significantly drop and addiction would go down