Sign in to follow this  
Ben

Boys, would you donate?

Ben

I've often considered dropping down a sample to the local clinic, if you know what I mean? I have reservations though, as I would have illegitimate children all over the land. 

What's your stance on this though? Would you be happy to donate? 

Alex

I am old enough to donate, but I honestly haven't given it much thought yet...

I don't know - I am going to think some more on this, and post a better response another time.

Ben

Ok guys, very important you don't get this confused with my milk topic. 

Alex

I thought a little more about this... I don't think that I would be allowed to donate sperm, since I have Aspergers and anxiety - And I wouldn't want to give away those genes to someone who doesn't know that thier child have a greater chance of inheriting Aspergers and anxiety. Maybe the child's parents wouldn't be able to give the child the care that it needed.

I am not sure if Aspergers has been proven to be inheritable, but I strongly believe it is, as my father and his father have/had strong aspie traits and anxiety. Not to mention depression.

Ben

Anxiety and depression are facts of life, and aspergers is just one of those things, that most people have, but it's undiagnosed..... 

mary

I know I'm not a bloke but I thought I'd put my thoughts into the topic...

I don't know why there is question about AS / ASD being inheritable... it is quite obvious that it runs through many families.  If I was a guy I'd certainly not want to donate knowing that I had AS (or EDS which is inheritable) because I'd not want someone else having to go through the things I have had to in my life.

Ben

Hmmm. The whole asperger ASD thing never crossed my mind. Is it really that big of a deal? Think of all the undiagnosed aspies, that became a huge success. It's a blessing to have Aspergers not a curse. 

(Oh, having an A-S warrior moment, it's been a while, I'm quite rusty) 

mary

I agree in some respects Ben, because I have the ability to turn my hand to most things and make a good go of whatever project I'm working on.. but that doesn't mean that any offspring of mine would be affected in the same way.  Granted, they may not be affected at all, or they may be affected in a more serious way, ie not able to communicate at all ... I don't know... I've never wanted children but now I know I have this I want them even less.

Bruce

I don't think I'd want to donate, with the real risk that any offspring would inherit my Asperger's & bipolar - as Oakers says, they might well be affected more than I am by them! Where's the evidence that 'most people have it but it's undiagnosed'?

Alex
Hmmm. The whole asperger ASD thing never crossed my mind. Is it really that big of a deal? Think of all the undiagnosed aspies, that became a huge success. It's a blessing to have Aspergers not a curse. 

(Oh, having an A-S warrior moment, it's been a while, I'm quite rusty) 

I agree that Aspergers can be a blessing, but I think it's both a blessing and a curse. I look at AS as a sort of "High risk - High reward" life style, where you have great potential to do good, but you also have your own demons, that can really make your life suck sometimes.

I don't believe that most people have it, but are undiagnosed though.