Sign in to follow this  
Ben

Boys, would you donate?

Willow
Hmmm. The whole asperger ASD thing never crossed my mind. Is it really that big of a deal? Think of all the undiagnosed aspies, that became a huge success. It's a blessing to have Aspergers not a curse. 

(Oh, having an A-S warrior moment, it's been a while, I'm quite rusty) 

Yes it's a big deal, both for the child and the parents. It could be a huge strain if it affected the child more than it does for you Ben. Some people cannot lead a normal life in any way shape or form because they are too overcome with anxiety, which means they reply on their parents long after the 'normal' age.

mary
I look at AS as a sort of "High risk - High reward" life style, where you have great potential to do good, but you also have your own demons, that can really make your life suck sometimes.

That's an interesting way to look at it Alex... I agree that whatever potential I have I do have demons... some aren't that bad, but it seems that I'm not doing so great in the stakes of 'getting used and abused' and being vulnerable to those who like bullying.

Alex

I am not even sure if I want my own children, so why would I give them to other people who aren't even prepared to have children with disorders?

mary
I am not even sure if I want my own children, so why would I give them to other people who aren't even prepared to have children with disorders?

Obviously I've never looked into it, being that I'm not male, but surely you have to fill out questionnaires where they ascertain whether you'd be a 'good' donor or not!?

Ben

You go out one day, with a list of asperger traits in your mind. Go out, and talk to people, and be observant, you see how many people you meet tick the boxes on your list., I'm telling you, you'll be suprised. 

Not all high end of the scale but still. 

Anyway, this is a topic on sperm donation, not ASD. 

mary
Anyway, this is a topic on sperm donation, not ASD. 

Surely part of being a 'responsible' donor is taking things like that into consideration.  People shouldn't be blase about donating just because they're not going to be the ones parenting the children that it may result in.

Do you think it'd be a good idea for someone with a strong history of mental illness, or cancer, or whatever running through their family to donate?  I don't... but I have strong opinions.  I'd certainly not want to burden a family with that sort of thing.  Have your own kids if you want to risk the dice, but don't risk someone else's future.

Bruce

Yeah but if I, as an Aspie, did have children, the odds would be a lot more of them being on the Spectrum than if an NT did it! So, it's impossible to discuss the one as if it's unconnected to the other.

Ben
Surely part of being a 'responsible' donor is taking things like that into consideration.  

You want me to be honest? When posting this it truly never crossed my mind. I've been brought up to embrace it, so I guess I neglect things like that. To me it's normal, I don't think about it. 

Very rarely do I think about having aspergers. Probably never actually. 

mary

God help me, I've just gone on a sperm donation site to see what the prerequisites are...

To be a sperm donor you should be aged between 18 and 40 years old and free of serious medical disability and without a family history of inherited disorder(s). 

Heritable conditions:

Because some birth defects (e.g. spina bifida, cleft palate, hare lip) and serious diseases (e.g. diabetes, epilepsy, schizophrenia, asthma and haemophilia) are genetically linked, it is not possible to accept as a donor any individual where there is a family history of these conditions.

Now, considering there is a considerable risk of autism running through families, and strong links showing that such happens, I'd imagine that if you disclosed you had such you'd not be considered. 

Bruce

Maybe you'd be a good parent, Ben - how many others would bring their child up that way, though? My parents didn't know what was 'wrong' with me but that was their approach, certainly not to 'embrace it'! But, see, if you donate, it's luck of the draw what parents end up bringing the child up, so they might well be more like that than like you.