CrohnicallyAwkward

Emcee- I don't think I worry too much about what they think of me. When I wrote the post, I was thinking of a few specific examples. For example, making a complaint. I can write down my key points to help, but then I have to explain to the person on the other end. If they don't understand first time, I will get frustrated at being unable to get my point across, when I'm frustrated I find it harder to think and speak. Then they might start saying things like 'we can't help you unless you calm down'. It's not that I particularly care what they think of me, but if they interpret me as being aggressive instead of anxious/distressed, they can end the call or even refuse to deal with me in the future.

And then assuming that I manage to get my complaint listened to, I have to take in the plan of action. Even if I write things down, I might get it wrong due to misinterpreting it in the first place. Eg I ask how long it will take, they say 'well, it might be ready by Monday but we can't guarantee it' I could interpret that (and write it) as '...and not before Monday'.

Whereas if I just send an email, I can edit until I'm happy with the tone. I have as long as I need, if I'm getting agitated writing it, then I can take a break. And I can read and reread the response as many times as necessary (and check up if the company back tracks and says they didn't say such a thing!)

RiRi

In order of importance/functionality/understandability:

Face to face

Phone call

Email

Text

I know it's difficult to read faces sometimes, but understanding exactly where some texts are coming from is even harder....

Yeah, I think, as of now, things get done faster when they're done face to face, but speaking for myself, it really isn't something i can do. Then when I call, I encounter some assholes who shouldn't even be working for customer service. I think everything should be online nowadays, would save myself a lot of anxiety and stress.

Whoknows

Asking.

Emcee

Yeah, I think, as of now, things get done faster when they're done face to face, but speaking for myself, it really isn't something i can do. Then when I call, I encounter some assholes who shouldn't even be working for customer service. I think everything should be online nowadays, would save myself a lot of anxiety and stress.

But here: http://asperclick.com/topic/3079-doctors/

Is a prime example of how things go wrong when we can't speak face to face: The OP doesn't say what she was trying to get a diagnoses for (which you can't understand for some reason), I thought you were British (because you haven't filled your profile in and you write perfect English). She hasn't been seen on here since August last year.

If we were stood having a conversation some of that wouldn't have happened and some could have been cleared up in a matter of seconds.

Emcee- I don't think I worry too much about what they think of me. When I wrote the post, I was thinking of a few specific examples. For example, making a complaint. I can write down my key points to help, but then I have to explain to the person on the other end. If they don't understand first time, I will get frustrated at being unable to get my point across, when I'm frustrated I find it harder to think and speak. Then they might start saying things like 'we can't help you unless you calm down'. It's not that I particularly care what they think of me, but if they interpret me as being aggressive instead of anxious/distressed, they can end the call or even refuse to deal with me in the future.

And then assuming that I manage to get my complaint listened to, I have to take in the plan of action. Even if I write things down, I might get it wrong due to misinterpreting it in the first place. Eg I ask how long it will take, they say 'well, it might be ready by Monday but we can't guarantee it' I could interpret that (and write it) as '...and not before Monday'.

Whereas if I just send an email, I can edit until I'm happy with the tone. I have as long as I need, if I'm getting agitated writing it, then I can take a break. And I can read and reread the response as many times as necessary (and check up if the company back tracks and says they didn't say such a thing!)

Thanks, I understand now! I think (because it is such a large topic) that we all have different scenarios in our heads when we are explaining ourselves, hence the differing points of view and anecdotes. 

RiRi

But here: http://asperclick.com/topic/3079-doctors/

Is a prime example of how things go wrong when we can't speak face to face: The OP doesn't say what she was trying to get a diagnoses for (which you can't understand for some reason), I thought you were British (because you haven't filled your profile in and you write perfect English). She hasn't been seen on here since August last year.

If we were stood having a conversation some of that wouldn't have happened and some could have been cleared up in a matter of seconds.

Thanks, I understand now! I think (because it is such a large topic) that we all have different scenarios in our heads when we are explaining ourselves, hence the differing points of view and anecdotes.

She (The OP) actually does make it clear that she's was trying to get a referral for a diagnosis. I can write perfect English without being British. 

I don't think it was a misunderstanding, it was a person being an an asshole. 

Emcee

She (The OP) actually does make it clear that she's was trying to get a referral for a diagnosis. I can write perfect English without being British. 

I don't think it was a misunderstanding, it was a person being an an asshole. 

Diagnoses of what? 

Anyone who cannot debate and has to resort to throwing insults and name calling is indeed an asshole (or areshole in English).

RiRi

Diagnoses of what? 

Anyone who cannot debate and has to resort to throwing insults and name calling is indeed an asshole (or areshole in English).

Diagnosis for Asperger's/autism perhaps as this is an Asperger's forum. What am I supposed to debate on? I found them an asshole and that is my opinion. I don't need someone else to convince me otherwise.

Edited by Anna