StormCrow

Freaking Curbs!!!

StormCrow

I've noticed the last couple of years my walking skills have gone down hill.

My latest annoyance is curbs.
Every time I walk up to a curb (I'm on the higher side) I always have to do this weird shuffle step and step down on my left foot.

It's weird because my coordination only happens in normal everyday life type events.

When ever I'm in combat (I did medieval tournaments, and do Tai Chi Qi Gong martial arts) I'm moving all over the place doing jigs and no stumbling at all. I also do ancient/historical dancing without stepping on toes (mine and others).

What's Up With that?

Ben

Your from 786 BC. You don't have curbs in your time. Your not used to them. 

Annaflower

Maybe because whey of are doing those other things your mind is preoccupied with them so it doesn't have a chance to focus on your movement.

I have a thing when I get to the top of a flight of stairs, I always get a vision of me falling down them and I get a panicky feeling that rushes through my body and into my fingertips!

iggy

I know this one. I used to twist my angle mildly a lot when I was younger, because I kept misjudging/not noticing small steps. I still sometimes catch it, and fall over like an idiot in the middle of the pavement or worse the shops!

I also have this thing where walking up a flight of stairs I strangely feel like I've missed a step and trip forwards. To stop his I walk up two at a time, but my legs aren't really long enough rondo this on a lot of stairs.

Willow

I have an issue with door frames - to get to the kitchen I have to do a right turn out of a doorway into a corridor and then a left turn through a doorway into the kitchen, and I catch each door frame with each hip pretty much daily. I just cannot judge where they are - I think I know, and I think I'm seeing it correctly and then bump. :(

Bruce

Odd if it's only those doors? I can't say I have any similar issues myself but my Mum's quite good at bumping into tables & claiming they jumped out at her! She's not even supposed to be 'on the spectrum', either.

Willow

It's not only those doors, it just happens most with those because I go through them a lot.

Bruce

Oh, OK. I'm sure there's some sort of medical explanation for it but I don't suppose that's much help, anyway!

Willow
Oh, OK. I'm sure there's some sort of medical explanation for it but I don't suppose that's much help, anyway!

Dyspraxia :P

Bruce

Oh, is that what that is? There anything they can do to help with it, then?