Mike_GX101

Breaking free of bad routines

Mike_GX101

One issue I have on a daily basis is one about organisation - or rather the lack of it.  I do my best to keep on top of things - I have a routine where I save all my washing-up for when I absolutely have to do it and I do the tidying up again on a similar basis.  It works for me but the trouble is I have fallen into what many might call a bad routine and it does pose problems when the landlord pops round to inspect, etc.

I have tried to explain to the landlord that I have a routine, etc but he doesn't have much sympathy.  The trouble is when I do tidy up (and blitz the place) suddenly I can't find anything and am in ordered chaos!!  I end up having to turn the place upside-down again just to find anything and this some times takes me to melt down.  Through disorganisation I guess I have my own order as I know where everything is.

My family have often commented in the past when they have visited and for many years I was ashamed by this.  But now I realise it is all part of this preference for routine thing.  When things get untidy and I leave them I get used to it being like that.  When I tidy up I am pleased by the results and it does offer some help in that I think more clearly and feel better about things but it also poses other problems in that suddenly my routine is in disarray.

I used to own my own place but when things got tight financially I had to go back to renting and with it the responsibility bestowed upon me by a landlord.  It is frustrating I cannot just be left to my homely routine in peace but the landlord's presence is ever looming in the back of my mind and I feel obliged to do something about the clutter etc.  But then I fall into the routine again which prompts me to leave it.  But the landlord has a habit of dropping by on the off chance and every time I see his van in the drive way my heart quickens ten fold and I'm bolting around tidying up quickly which then leaves me later not being able to find anything and sliding towards melt down.

Bruce

Personally, I find it easier to wash stuff up ASAP &, while my Mum thinks my room is 'untidy', no landlord had any problem with it! Sorry to hear about your difficulties, dunno if there's some way to manage those better.

Willow

I have a tendency to leave things until the last minute but I try to keep up to date with things. If you make a new routine and set out which things need to be tidied or washed on certain days and stick to it, pretty soon you will realise that you have a new routine which you don't want to fall out of, and you will learn where things are quicker each time. It's hard in the beginning but better in the long run. The more you do it, the less it will bother you.

Ben

Bad routines, stem mainly from depression. Letting things piling up on top of existing problems is only going to make it worse. (Obviously) 

I'd say write things down, and be more organised, but that doesn't solve underlying issues. There is a reason why you can't accommodate such tasks, it's because you can't cope. If my suspicions are correct, that you are depressed, stressed, or have anxiety issues, being more organised may help, but it's hardly your first priority. 

If you can confirm either of the above Mike, then I shall return. 

Mike_GX101

Times are indeed tough especially when people are laid off from work due to their employers going under, etc.  It's a hard time when suddenly you're faced with lack of employment opportunities plus not really knowing what it is you want to do next.  Having worked in fairly secure employment in offices for years and suddenly facing a life where I might have to downsize considerably I guess I'm just biding my time.  Yes you're right Ben.  I think I might be sliding towards depression as on the face of it I know what's going on but it hasn't quite sunk in yet.  Yesterday I went out and treated myself to things I can't really afford.  Does it bother me?  Of course.  But then you have to treat yourself just to stay happy.

The disorganisation is just the tip of the iceberg to be honest.  I'm trying my best to stay positive and 'with' it.  That's all I've got at the moment.  No one can stop you smiling.

Willow
Yesterday I went out and treated myself to things I can't really afford.  Does it bother me?  Of course.  But then you have to treat yourself just to stay happy.

The disorganisation is just the tip of the iceberg to be honest.  I'm trying my best to stay positive and 'with' it.  That's all I've got at the moment.  No one can stop you smiling.

I'm the same. It's a vicious circle.

Ben
Times are indeed tough especially when people are laid off from work due to their employers going under, etc.  It's a hard time when suddenly you're faced with lack of employment opportunities plus not really knowing what it is you want to do next.  Having worked in fairly secure employment in offices for years and suddenly facing a life where I might have to downsize considerably I guess I'm just biding my time.  Yes you're right Ben.  I think I might be sliding towards depression as on the face of it I know what's going on but it hasn't quite sunk in yet.  Yesterday I went out and treated myself to things I can't really afford.  Does it bother me?  Of course.  But then you have to treat yourself just to stay happy.

Ok, 

Well the current financial climate is a bitch. That's a fact of life, and everyone is feeling it, you are not to blame and know that there are several in the same boat as you. 

Now this doesn't help you as an individual, because now you just feel like a statistic, and a victim of circumstance. So what you really have to do, is drop this mentality first of all. 

Then, take your medicine, and accept any help that comes your way. If you have to, spin the doctor a yarn, and tell him your going mad. (Their always a lot nicer to you then) 

Sit back for a while and take a breather. Allow this down time, as time for personal development don't see it a a negative, this is your time now, for self discovery and personal growth

Get out, walk more. Don't watch crap on tv, Try and smile, and be nicer to people. Go to quiet places, like the woods, and just sit and be, talk to yourself if you have too. Be one with nature, and take deep breaths, listen to the wind blowing, and the birds chirping. Know that it's ok, to have this downtime, you need it. You need this space to grow, and find yourself as a person. Do these activities daily, instead of your usual grind. 

Then look into your diet (I have a dedicated Nootropics topic coming real soon keep a look out for it) Start with looking at mega dosing vitamin C. Say in the region of 3000, to 5000mg. Get the strait ascorbic acid compound though, so you get more for your money, and clean quality.

Vitamin C is a natural neuro enhancer. It creates chemicals in the brain which help fight depression. And it's also a nutrient most people are lacking in, which is probably why so many people are depressed. 

Then look at the B complex. Niacin has been proven to actually cure serious mental health conditions, like schizophrenia, suicidal depression and so on. High levels of the B's are also neuro enhancers, as well as memory enhancers and intelligence enhancers, in short the B's are a wonder supplement. 

So when choosing your vitamins, look at the potency. If it's your typical one a day, that has the 100% RDA written on the label, then their crap. Put them back on the shelf. You want high strength, high potency. 

Also have a look at zinc and magnesium. But I wouldn't recommend super dosing those. In fact too much zinc, could cause an epileptic fit. So be on the reserved side with those.

Once I started mega dose nutrition, guess what the first thing I noticed was? My depression? Lifted! I'm still in the same situation, but I'm dealing with it better. I'm happy, and upbeat most of the time, I finally enjoy being on my own, I'm over my break up, and I'm just overall living a better quality of life. 

Also ditch carbs, and sugars. Adopt an 'Atkins' style of eating. The lionshare of the brain is made of fatty acids, as are most of your organs. Low fat diets are ridiculous and dangerous at that, and another reason why we have so much depression. And don't start me on the debate of the dangerous of saturated fat, it's all crap, and I have so many studies and literature, that debunks all of those silly arguments you would be here until Christmas reading them. 

Now once I had my diet in full order (Mega dosed B's and C's etc), and I took my chill out time, I could then make plans. I'm now planning to study agriculture, I'm writing a book (Yes I'm dyslexic and writing a book) And Have strong future ambitions which are solid, and intelligent. 

Oh, and I'm about to start work for the youth service. 

So yes, it's a hard rut to get out of, and you have to want it. I'm far from sorted, and I'm skint, but I'm skint and happy. 

So, get someone to help you clean up the place, that will help. Also, do you have any mates you haven't seen in a while? If so dial them up. If not, then this is the perfect chance to get out, and meet new friends. 

Hope this helps? If not, then, well.... Call your mother. 

Willow
Ok, 

Well the current financial climate is a bitch. That's a fact of life, and everyone is feeling it, you are not to blame and know that there are several in the same boat as you. 

Now this doesn't help you as an individual, because now you just feel like a statistic, and a victim of circumstance. So what you really have to do, is drop this mentality first of all. 

Then, take your medicine, and accept any help that comes your way. If you have to, spin the doctor a yarn, and tell him your going mad. (Their always a lot nicer to you then) 

Sit back for a while and take a breather. Allow this down time, as time for personal development don't see it a a negative, this is your time now, for self discovery and personal growth

Get out, walk more. Don't watch crap on tv, Try and smile, and be nicer to people. Go to quiet places, like the woods, and just sit and be, talk to yourself if you have too. Be one with nature, and take deep breaths, listen to the wind blowing, and the birds chirping. Know that it's ok, to have this downtime, you need it. You need this space to grow, and find yourself as a person. Do these activities daily, instead of your usual grind. 

Then look into your diet (I have a dedicated Nootropics topic coming real soon keep a look out for it) Start with looking at mega dosing vitamin C. Say in the region of 3000, to 5000mg. Get the strait ascorbic acid compound though, so you get more for your money, and clean quality.

Vitamin C is a natural neuro enhancer. It creates chemicals in the brain which help fight depression. And it's also a nutrient most people are lacking in, which is probably why so many people are depressed. 

Then look at the B complex. Niacin has been proven to actually cure serious mental health conditions, like schizophrenia, suicidal depression and so on. High levels of the B's are also neuro enhancers, as well as memory enhancers and intelligence enhancers, in short the B's are a wonder supplement. 

So when choosing your vitamins, look at the potency. If it's your typical one a day, that has the 100% RDA written on the label, then their crap. Put them back on the shelf. You want high strength, high potency. 

Also have a look at zinc and magnesium. But I wouldn't recommend super dosing those. In fact too much zinc, could cause an epileptic fit. So be on the reserved side with those.

Once I started mega dose nutrition, guess what the first thing I noticed was? My depression? Lifted! I'm still in the same situation, but I'm dealing with it better. I'm happy, and upbeat most of the time, I finally enjoy being on my own, I'm over my break up, and I'm just overall living a better quality of life. 

Also ditch carbs, and sugars. Adopt an 'Atkins' style of eating. The lionshare of the brain is made of fatty acids, as are most of your organs. Low fat diets are ridiculous and dangerous at that, and another reason why we have so much depression. And don't start me on the debate of the dangerous of saturated fat, it's all crap, and I have so many studies and literature, that debunks all of those silly arguments you would be here until Christmas reading them. 

Now once I had my diet in full order (Mega dosed B's and C's etc), and I took my chill out time, I could then make plans. I'm now planning to study agriculture, I'm writing a book (Yes I'm dyslexic and writing a book) And Have strong future ambitions which are solid, and intelligent. 

Oh, and I'm about to start work for the youth service. 

So yes, it's a hard rut to get out of, and you have to want it. I'm far from sorted, and I'm skint, but I'm skint and happy. 

So, get someone to help you clean up the place, that will help. Also, do you have any mates you haven't seen in a while? If so dial them up. If not, then this is the perfect chance to get out, and meet new friends. 

Hope this helps? If not, then, well.... Call your mother. 

This is all well and good for people with few real world commitments. It's all a bit far fetched and out of reach for people in debt, working full time in a job they hate. :P

Ben
This is all well and good for people with few real world commitments. It's all a bit far fetched and out of reach for people in debt, working full time in a job they hate. :P

And by carrying on with the above, ignoring signs of depression, and carrying on because they feel society tells them too, is going to make it better? Does my cut get better if I keep picking at the scab? No it will eventually get infected. 

One way or the other, the body will put you out of commission. Why is obesity on the rise? Why is stress on the rise? Cancer, heart problems, you name it, it's all on the rise. And it's because people pound away like a beaten horse ignoring their well being. 

'Oh but some don't have a choice, they have kids to look after' 

Trust me, your more helpful to your child when your broke, and happy, then when you are bringing in a bit more money, and feeling like shit everyday. I'm not saying live off benefits (Last thing anyone should do) But I strongly believe no matter who you are or what you do, everyone at some point needs time out. 

People don't think they have a choice because of what mainstream dogma tells them. A lot of people are brain washed. 

Self respect, confidence, and happiness, have to be restored. And you can't do it, if you keep grinding away. You have to go on a self rescue plan right away, and do what's best for you. 

Bruce

At least here there are benefits, if you do have to go on them for awhile. It would be a lot more difficult if you were living in the States, at least....