collectingrocks

Asperger's and chess

collectingrocks

For any person on the ASD spectrum who has difficulty inferring other people's thoughts and predicting their motives/moves, how does an Aspie get on at playing chess?

Primeape

I don't understand how to play it

Nesf

I don't play chess either, but I think that some aspies are good at it.

• Helpful 2

Catman2018

I perfer checkers over chess. I'm not good at chess.

aspiesw

I love chess! I'd say I'm ok at it. I do sometimes struggle with thinking moves ahead, I guess I'm not that much of a deep thinker

RiRi

I know how to play chess, but I've never been good at it. I wonder if it has to go with being good at math. I also know how to play checkers, but that one is even more complicated than chess.

Scott

I quite like playing chess, I don't get to play that often though annoyingly. I don't follow any set strategy, I just do what feels right in the moment; a better way to play I think, since you end up being unpredictable and hard to play against.

• Helpful 1

(deleted)

I don't know about Asperger's, but a lot of intelligent people are into chess - my friend included, who is very intelligent and also has Asperger's.

• Helpful 1

collectingrocks

I play chess but I'm not intelligent !

I know all the moves but am hopeless at predicting the opponent's moves in advance - even if the computer is the opponent...

I used to be ace at chess as a young boy but a combination of being out of practice and a regression of me as a person means I'm so rubbish at it now

I'm trying to look at ways to improve my "inferring" skills if that is at all possible...

Asgardian

I tried to play chess once and I found it really difficult. I would imagine many people on the spectrum are good at it, but not me  :P

I will stick to Monopoly  :lol:

Edited by Phil
  • Helpful 1

Aeolienne
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 11:05 PM, RiRi said:

I know how to play chess, but I've never been good at it. I wonder if it has to go with being good at math. I also know how to play checkers, but that one is even more complicated than chess.

FWIW, I've got a maths degree but I've never made much headway with chess. I know all the moves (including castling and en passant) but I've never been able to develop any sense of strategy. I once went along to a chess club in my workplace, but (like an orchestra) it was pitched at people who could already play at a certain level and I wasn't able to pick up anything by watching. It has been suggested that the best way to improve my chess would be to put in the hours playing it on my home computer, but that doesn't appeal. I'd be more interested on going on a chess retreat, i.e. a short intensive chess course in a country house hotel, if such a thing exists. According to the person I spoke to at the aforementioned office chess club, the only residential chess courses that exist are aimed at schoolchildren - but that was over a decade ago.

Someone on another (not ASD related) internet forum suggested I should take up bridge in order to find a partner, as I don't seem to be having much luck of late with internet dating. I can't help thinking that the same caveats that apply to chess would also be relevant here: that you have to be at a certain level to play socially and getting to that level means setting aside time to practise at home. Am I on the right wavelength here?