blacktiger911

gay marriage leagal!

The Id

Comparing homosexuals to murderers, paedophiles, and rapists?! Stop jacking yourselves off you bunch of sanctimonious cunts! Go and live in the real world and stop hiding behind the fig leaves. 

People only hate what they are taught to hate, Ben. Christians are taught to hate in certain ways and they do just that, just as others are taught to hate Christians for their hatred. Hate-ity hateity hatey hate. Welcome to the modern world where everyone hates something and the end result is just a whole lot of fighting going on.  We can do better than this. We kind of have to if we want to survive as a race.

nichii

It's a step in the right direction. I won't deny that, but I'll admit that it's a little sad that gay marriage was ever a problem to begin with. We're all human. It doesn't matter if you're gay, bi, or straight. We should all be given the option to marry if we want to. I'm glad gay marriage is legalized, but I just don't understand why it was ever illegal to begin with and why it took so long to finally become legalized. 

Myrtonos

Well, actually, a step in the right direction would be to amend the constitution to spell out LGBT rights. Marriage between one man and one or more women has been accepted in practically every human society since time immoral, but redefining marriage in law with no gender attached is quite a recent thing.

Same sex marriage was not even on the agenda when the constitution was written, so I don't see how attaching gender to a formal legal definition of marriage can be unconstitutional.

Whatever words the US and Canada among others use in their laws, I believe the Catholic church still defines marriage as having a husband and wife, same sex marriage being an oxymoron.

collectingrocks

I disagree too. I have been happily married for many years (though the ceremony didn't take place in a religious institution) and had I not met my wife (who gave me an amazing daughter), who knows? -, I would either be in prison, in a psychiatric institution or - 6 foot under. It is all thanks to my wife who has given me the gift of companionship, knowledge and a meaning to be alive.

But I agree, I don't need a piece of paper to prove that I love my wife but sadly in this defunct, corrupt world,  the marriage certificate is a gateway to certain things in life.

Myrtonos

Could someone fix the typo in the title?

Also, I don't see how previous marriage laws could possibly be unconstitutional given that the constitution was written long before gay rights were even on the agenda.

Asgardian

Could someone fix the typo in the title?

What difference would that make? The point of the thread is still clear.

Also, I don't see how previous marriage laws could possibly be unconstitutional given that the constitution was written long before gay rights were even on the agenda.

Maybe not unconstitutional but they were certainly immoral. They denied many people the right to get married. Regardless of whether or not gay rights were "on the agenda" those laws were still going against the rights of those people.

RiRi

That's great that they finally got the right others had for a long while. However, like others, I think marriage is just a piece of paper as well. If anything, I think it's worse off to be married legally. 

Asgardian

That's great that they finally got the right others had for a long while. However, like others, I think marriage is just a piece of paper as well. If anything, I think it's worse off to be married legally. 

I agree. I personally don't think marriage is necessary for a relationship to work, but I have nothing against it. If a couple want to get married after 20 years together, or if they choose to never get married, I have no issue with either decision. It is their right to choose, and that is what I feel about this issue. Gay and lesbian couples don't have to get married, but it is right that they now have the freedom to choose  :)

Edited by Phil

RiRi

I agree. I personally don't think marriage is necessary for a relationship to work, but I have nothing against it. If a couple want to get married after 20 years together, or if they choose to never get married, I have no issue with either decision. It is their right to choose, and that is what I feel about this issue. Gay and lesbian couples don't have to get married, but it is right that they now have the freedom to choose  :)

Very true, I agree. :)

Myrtonos

What difference would that make? The point of the thread is still clear.

Oh please, they original poster didn't mean it, it's wrong, surely it should be fixed at some point when it is worth a moderator's time and effort, regardless of how clearly one person can see the point, it's not asking much. On this forum, many, being on the specturm, are likely to lash out over things like this, even if they don't admint it (publically).

Maybe not unconstitutional but they were certainly immoral. They denied many people the right to get married. Regardless of whether or not gay rights were "on the agenda" those laws were still going against the rights of those people.

LGBT rights are not spelled out in the constitution. There was no right to marry someone of the same sex until recently, with a law change, only the right to marry someone of the opposite sex. Homosexuality was immoral at the time, especially among men.