Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nichii

Involuntary Smiling

nichii

I have this thing where I smile uncontrollably sometimes. It's usually triggered by something like someone talking to me. What the person is saying to me isn't funny and there's no reason I should be smiling, but I still do. It's not something I'm doing purposely either and I'm not smiling because I'm happy or in a good mood. In fact I can be depressed or very angry and I'll still smile. This can be irritating when I'm mad at someone and I give them the sense that I'm not when I smile. It's annoying.

It can also be embarrassing when somebody says something sad and I smile. I give off the impression that I don't care which isn't true. I've been searching and the closest thing I can find that matches this is something called Involuntary Emotional Expression Disorder / Pseudobulbar Affect. This disorder only causes involuntary crying and laughing though. It mentions nothing about smiling.

I do have problems with involuntary laughing sometimes, but my main problem is the smiling which I can't find much information about. Does this happen to anyone else too?

RiRi

Yeah, it happens to me too. I sometimes smile, laugh, cry because I'm scared or nervous.

CrohnicallyAwkward

Yes, got me in trouble loads of times at school, if I'm embarrassed my default expression is a big grin, so if a teacher told me off I'd grin at them.

I assume it's down to AS, it's known that we process body language and emotions differently to NTs so perhaps there's a crossed wire somewhere and smiling became associated with emotions and events other than happiness?

Nesf

Yes, I do this, or I giggle. I always just thought it was nerves.

No Longer Here

Yep me too. Usually when I am confused whether someone is joking or serious

lifeis

Only happens when I'm drunk, most of the time I have to remind myself to smile (tend to scowl when I'm anxious).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.