Juliette

Becoming Self-Employed

Juliette

Hi guys,

How many of you are self-employed, and if you are self-employed, is it something you enjoy, as opposed to working for and with other people? How did you become self-employed in your field, and would you recommend it to other Aspies?

Thank you...

No Longer Here

I'm just dipping my toes into being self employed. I am very happy working alone in my own space. Good thing is that I have an income from a pension so I don't 'need' to put myself under pressure

The other thing that makes me happy is that I am working within my area of special interest

Nesf

I used to be an language teacher in a school, but I couldn't cope with the school environment so I left to become a private teacher. I find it much easier to work from home because I'm in my own environment which I have control over. No commute, no boss, no colleagues to deal with, no staffroom politics. I have some flexibiltiy over which hours I work - I choose not to work before 10am, but work till late. I am my own boss, and I say what goes. The only thing that I find difficult is administration and organisation - since I'm my own boss, this is my responsibility. It can be overwhelming at times. Also, I have to deal with the parents, and the students often want to change the schedule or cancel at last minute, and this can be extremely stressful.

Overall, it is better to be self-employed.

Peridot

Hi guys,

How many of you are self-employed, and if you are self-employed, is it something you enjoy, as opposed to working for and with other people? How did you become self-employed in your field, and would you recommend it to other Aspies?

Thank you...

I'm currently in negotiations. lol I'm on welfare and for the longest time I've been reluctant to apply for any job as it's not my natural behavior to do so. Plus what you see a lot of the time at companies is a lack of integrity and warmth...but I shouldn't get too much into that. The basic point is that when I am myself I start projects revolving around music, video and cinema. So that's what I feel I should do as it's the best contribution I can make. And I also believe you should do what you want to do, what you like doing most and usually that's what you do best too.

Edited by Peridot

The Id

contract engineer here. Means I can have as much time off as I want/need or work 15 hours a day if the obsession is obsessing. Also don't have to get bogged down in peripheral stuff or feel like I have to be part of the team culture and drink beer at 4.30pm on Fridays with everyone else. I'm just that weird guy who does stuff, and that works for me. Most of the day I wear headphones with static hiss on so I'm not distracted by outside noises.

For me it started when a friend asked me to help out on a project he was getting bogged down in since the company he worked for weren't allocating any full-time resources to it. They gave me a couple of weeks work initially which turned into two years since I had written most of the software for it and done a lot of the validation testing. Then other people asked me to work on other projects and the same sort of thing happened. I tend to get burn out after about two years then need another year or two off to recover. My current work was advertised online and I started about a year ago

I heard a saying the other day on the radio "find a way of turning your childhood hobbies into a career and you'll never work a day again".  That is particularly true for aspies where obsession directs a lot of our existence. I was obsessed with taking everything apart and trying to figure it out as soon as I could crawl and that is pretty much what my career is now- thoroughly recommend it.

Dr-David-Banner

I am self-employed but there is a clash between my desire to go into the very technical side of things and the expectation to do everything for profit. For me, that's an obstacle. The idea really is to make money to fund and support the technical work I'm hoping to do deeper into. So far as Business Initiative programs go that concept doesn't seem to be understood as everything is supposed to be about profit. So, I guess I'd be expected to drop all the technical side of it and be a glorified sales-man which kind of defeats the object.

Even so, I'm doing my best to see how I can juggle it all about and obviously I will need to make an actual income. This may involve a few changes of strategy here and there.

Mike_GX101

I'd love to go self-employed as a sort of independence.  However my biggest barrier to entry is getting the work, which still demands people skills and endless work/job interviews which are not my speciality!  I can do the work that I do but I'm not very good at job interviews.

Either way - whether I'm self-employed or employed, I still have to deal with people and so self-employment does not in fact offer a solution to the problems: it only offers an alternative version of them.  And is not, in fact, independence, because there is a dependency on customers/work providers!!

If anything a partnership would be better for me if I could find someone who would do all of the procuring of the work and contacts and I'd do the rest!  In fact if someone just filled in all of the job application forms and did the interviews then the same would be true for employment too!

Ben

I'd love to go self-employed as a sort of independence.  However my biggest barrier to entry is getting the work, which still demands people skills and endless work/job interviews which are not my speciality!  I can do the work that I do but I'm not very good at job interviews.

Either way - whether I'm self-employed or employed, I still have to deal with people and so self-employment does not in fact offer a solution to the problems: it only offers an alternative version of them.  And is not, in fact, independence, because there is a dependency on customers/work providers!!

If anything a partnership would be better for me if I could find someone who would do all of the procuring of the work and contacts and I'd do the rest!  In fact if someone just filled in all of the job application forms and did the interviews then the same would be true for employment too!

You won't get any better if you have no ambition to improve these skills; you're actively assigning yourself to your own demise by even acknowledging these obstacles as roadblocks that prevent you - when the way you should be looking at it, is to see a series of job interviews as an opportunity to develop your social skills. 

We go through the biggest growth spurts when we're under stress and feeling uncomfortable, and we obtain the most from life when we're WELL out of our comfort zones. As Aspies, we actually have the MOST to gain from this, so why hide away and deny yourself? You're going to die just like the rest, so why not LIVE like the rest? Don't fear what isn't going to hurt you. There's no boogey man out there - it's just a myth

And if you think that the 'privileged' people had an easy ride to get to where they are today, then you are very, very mistaken. (Except those who won the Lottery of course, but I don't care about them.) 

Dr-David-Banner

Ben makes a fair point. I'm not sure why you equate self-employment with employment? It's not the same. If you go self employed you don't have to deal with people at all if you choose not to. Let's say you set up a mail order business or offer a service like repair work or even gardening. This is far removed from running a hair salon where you need to have people-related skills. Just choose a business where you know you can make use of what you have. Fibnd your strengths. Some people did O.K. just setting up a simple mail order business.

StormCrow

I guess I'm Self Employed. 

I'm a sub contractor painting houses, but It's just me in the company and I work under another guy in a one man company.