DragonWing

30+ adult diagnosis

xudo

I'm 30 and was diagnosed about a month ago. I've told pretty much everyone in RL who I feel I want to. I was massively relieved to be honest as up til getting diagnosed, I'd always known that I wasn't "normal" but thought that I was just a weirdo who didn't understand other people. Now I know that there's actually a reason for the things I do/don't do and all that jazz.

Wallflower

33.  I'm understanding now why I do what I do (or don't do) and I've explained to a few Friends from my past to left because I was never willing to hang out. Just so that they would understand and know that it wasn't them. I am so glad that I know what this is now so that I can find people like me and so I don't feel so alone

StormCrow

One of my Privates/Troopers (military) was just diagnosed at 52 last year.

Pretty much had the same feeling/thing as me with a statement of how they/I figured out why I was out of place in life.

Eliza

At 56! A year ago. I went through a lot of ups and downs. I felt a great relief at first. All was good until I started reading how neurotypicals view autistics. Then I found some self-advocacy sites that empowered me. Now, I am overall content about it. There are times I get frustrated, sure, but at least now I have some tools to work with. The biggest joy comes from accepting it. This is who I am. Now I'm in the process of learning to be authentic. Does it ruffle NT feathers? Yes, but when people know you have Aspergers, they do cut you a little more slack. I'm able to ask a person to repeat something without them getting all sensitive about it. Hang in there, dragonwing. :) Don't give up pursuing the things you want in life, even though they don't come as easily to us.

hutchie

46, diagnosed this year, known since 2009 when I discovered autism aspergers after losing yet another job in Notts. 

Gone away

Diagnosed 2yrs ago at 53yrs