Sofi

Anger

Sofi

Does anyone else struggle to control anger? I always have. I used to be a really aggressive and violent child but I got a lot better. Sometimes, I still get overcome with anger and lash out impulsively, then regret it and feel ashamed of myself. I think I have been in denial about how angry I am. I might have to go to counselling for anger. 

http://www.autism-help.org/adults-aspergers-anger.htm

Edited by Sofi

ztnt

Do you practice any sports or martial arts?

They do help to manage anger issues.

Annaflower
Does anyone else struggle to control anger? I always have. I used to be a really aggressive and violent child but I got a lot better. Sometimes, I still get overcome with anger and lash out impulsively, then regret it and feel ashamed of myself. I think I have been in denial about how angry I am. I might have to go to counselling for anger. 

http://www.autism-help.org/adults-aspergers-anger.htm'>http://www.autism-help.org/adults-aspergers-anger.htm

http://www.ntw.nhs.uk/pic/leaflets/Controlling%20Anger%20A4%202010.pdf'>http://www.ntw.nhs.uk/pic/leaflets/Controlling Anger A4 2010.pdf

Bella is just like this.

Nesf

Yes, I have anger control issues. As a child I was well known for my temper tantrums. For example, I remember once being furious just because I couldn't eat a slice of Battenburg cake without it falling apart and my fury was way out of proportion. I once hurt myself and had to be taken to the hospital and have a sling on my arm, and I hit a teacher once, too. Now I'm a lot calmer but I still sometimes fly into a rage. I don't control my emotions well. I'm better at recognising when the tension is starting to build and try to take steps to deal with it, like going for a walk to calm down, but unfortunately that's not always possible and it gets the better of me.

I'm not sure what the second link is for, it leads to Northumberland Tyne and Wear NHS services, was it meant to be for an article?

Sofi
Do you practice any sports or martial arts?

They do help to manage anger issues.

No, I don't. When I was younger, I went to a judo group for autistic kids for a while. Apparently, judo is good for autism, that's why the group was set up.

Yes, I have anger control issues. As a child I was well known for my temper tantrums. For example, I remember once being furious just because I couldn't eat a slice of Battenburg cake without it falling apart and my fury was way out of proportion. I once hurt myself and had to be taken to the hospital and have a sling on my arm, and I hit a teacher once, too. Now I'm a lot calmer but I still sometimes fly into a rage. I don't control my emotions well. I'm better at recognising when the tension is starting to build and try to take steps to deal with it, like going for a walk to calm down, but unfortunately that's not always possible and it gets the better of me.

I'm not sure what the second link is for, it leads to Northumberland Tyne and Wear NHS services, was it meant to be for an article?

Yes, it is a 'self help leaflet' for 'Controlling Anger'. I got a whole set of leaflets from that support worker a while ago. Sorry, that it didn't work!

ztnt
No, I don't. When I was younger, I went to a judo group for autistic kids for a while. Apparently, judo is good for autism, that's why the group was set up.

Indeed, people say that is good for it. But the same goes for pratically every sport.

Archery is awesome too.

Sofi
Indeed, people say that is good for it. But the same goes for pratically every sport.

Archery is awesome too.

I don't know if the combination of me with a bow and arrow when angry would be a good combination! Although, I'd like to try archery when not angry! I wonder what other alternative sports there are. Maybe yoga or something...

iggy

When I'm angry I don't notice. It's just a dull feeling, which gets stronger and eventually bursts out, but I'm not violent. I scream at people, and cry but mostly I walk the other way. My senses are duller when I'm angry too, so everything seems quieter, etc.

My parents always said I could be "reasoned with" as a child, so didn't have many temper tantrums, just sensory overloads, although none of us knew that was what they were. Sometimes I get angry and end up shouting at whoever is nearest, but as soon as I can I will try and ignore it has happened, or else ill end up completely loosing it. If I'm in public I tend to build it up and then have one large angry vent either by myself or at a family member, rather than going off in public.

I think I should probably note the signs of me getting angry more carefully because I've just realised I still wouldn't have a clue I think.....

Nesf

Did the judo group help you?

Sofi
When I'm angry I don't notice. It's just a dull feeling, which gets stronger and eventually bursts out, but I'm not violent. I scream at people, and cry but mostly I walk the other way. My senses are duller when I'm angry too, so everything seems quieter, etc.

My parents always said I could be "reasoned with" as a child, so didn't have many temper tantrums, just sensory overloads, although none of us knew that was what they were. Sometimes I get angry and end up shouting at whoever is nearest, but as soon as I can I will try and ignore it has happened, or else ill end up completely loosing it. If I'm in public I tend to build it up and then have one large angry vent either by myself or at a family member, rather than going off in public.

I think I should probably note the signs of me getting angry more carefully because I've just realised I still wouldn't have a clue I think.....

Yes - noting the signs and the triggers for what you make you angry is a good idea. It is a dull feeling for me too, then I 'snap' and jump up and start screaming crying and kicking things, usually breaking things in the process. It's actually shameful, in hindsight. As for my senses, I lose vision sometimes completely and just see stars and actually everything sounds louder, rather than quieter like with you. It is very much a sensory overload at the same time. 

It's horrible when angry in public, such as in a shop. I try very hard to contain it but I get very hot! 

Did the judo group help you?

I think it might have been slightly beneficial for me. I'm not sure in what way it was meant to help autistic kids. It was set up by the local autistic society charity where I lived. They set up school holiday clubs and some other clubs, such as this judo one. Some of my classmates from school went to it as well. I remember wanting to 'sit out' of it a lot! I found it quite rough. One of my friends went really far in judo though.