smileeachday

What are your interests?

storm-petrel

I find it hard to decide what is a hobby and what is an interest as there is a considerable amount of overlap. For example, I grew up in a seaside town and treated the beach as my playground. My dad took me fishing and shrimping and taught me all sorts of things about the wildlife of the coast, which became one of my interests.

Many years later I watched a group of sea kayakers paddling along a remote bit of coastline in Scotland and decided I wanted to go sea kayaking myself, something I have been doing for eighteen years now. Going sea kayaking allows me to indulge my interest in the flora and fauna of the coastal environment. I spend a lot of time just poking about in rocky inlets to see what I can find rather than travelling from A to B. Am I indulging my interest in the flora and fauna, or participating in the pastime of sea kayaking?

For some time I also became obsessed with the history of the kayak and its origins as a hunting boat used by the Inuit peoples of the Arctic. My interest in natural history also led me into the pastime of hillwalking, which in turn led me into an obsession with maps, whilst sea kayaking led me into an obsession with marine charts. All of these things led me into an interest in earth sciences generally.

So I find it hard to say where hobbies become interests and vice versa. Usually when I am participating in something that might be described as a hobby, I am also indulging an interest simultaneously. Both hobbies and interests have certainly cost me a lot of money in buying equipment, books, maps, dvds and travelling.

smileeachday

I find it hard to decide what is a hobby and what is an interest as there is a considerable amount of overlap. For example, I grew up in a seaside town and treated the beach as my playground. My dad took me fishing and shrimping and taught me all sorts of things about the wildlife of the coast, which became one of my interests.

Many years later I watched a group of sea kayakers paddling along a remote bit of coastline in Scotland and decided I wanted to go sea kayaking myself, something I have been doing for eighteen years now. Going sea kayaking allows me to indulge my interest in the flora and fauna of the coastal environment. I spend a lot of time just poking about in rocky inlets to see what I can find rather than travelling from A to B. Am I indulging my interest in the flora and fauna, or participating in the pastime of sea kayaking?

For some time I also became obsessed with the history of the kayak and its origins as a hunting boat used by the Inuit peoples of the Arctic. My interest in natural history also led me into the pastime of hillwalking, which in turn led me into an obsession with maps, whilst sea kayaking led me into an obsession with marine charts. All of these things led me into an interest in earth sciences generally.

So I find it hard to say where hobbies become interests and vice versa. Usually when I am participating in something that might be described as a hobby, I am also indulging an interest simultaneously. Both hobbies and interests have certainly cost me a lot of money in buying equipment, books, maps, dvds and travelling.

So true it is hard to see the difference... sometimes I dont think hobbies and interests are different but at the same time I think hobbies are physical and interests are mental but it can at times be the other way around :mellow:

DragonWing

My interests are:

-Becoming a better version of myself

-Finding answers, about the world, mind

-Watching, action, drama, romance shows/movies

-Music, mainly pop, music that leans towards the mellow side

-Art, mainly drawing, but also crafting such as making bracelets

Edit: Does anyone know what's the different between hobbies and interests? I'm finding them to be kind of the same...is it that interests are long term or something that you constantly do, not just during spare time, but hobbies are things you do in your spare time? Although I guess I can see now why for me interests and hobbies would be sort of the same.

Your top two are mine too. Probably obsessively

DragonWing

My hobbies/interests (you have to be interested in your hobby to enjoy it) are:

Self understanding and development (fixing myself)

Countryside, pretty quiet places (where fairies might live)

Taking photos of nature and my kids. I am thinking a good camera may be my 2016 aim.

Cycling off road and alone.

Crystals, Oracle and tarot cards.

Sewing

RiRi

Self understanding and development (fixing myself)

Yes, this is one of my interests. It's the kind of interest I do a lot. I was reading online that supposedly interests are things we are interested in, but don't necessarily do (I guess that's one way to look at it). The understanding and development is one of the things I currently have and am trying to do a lot of.

aspiesw

Trains (I love trains, so much), fashion, music, sport, travelling. I don't have a lot of interests to be honest. Typical aspie

StormCrow

well I'm back to my Norse stuff now.

Yesterday I was heading out to a musical gathering, they wanted to meet at a beach, and it was 6 degrees F, so I went to look for my Norse harp/lyre that I made. (did Norse living history) 

I never found it, so I was late, when I got there, there was no one there, and freezing. 

Anyway, I looked up Norse Instruments and found the talharpa/Jouhikko.

To make this short, I ended up staying up late looking and listened to Norse Folk Music. 

and now I'm back to Norse Stuff interest.  

nikkiDT

My current interests/hobbies are:

1.  The Sims 3

2.  The TV show "How to Get Away with Murder"

3.  Heath Ledger

4. Self-discovery--which is really more of an obsession right now

5.  I like to write

Dingo
20 minutes ago, nikkiDT said:

My current interests/hobbies are:

1.  The Sims 3

2.  The TV show "How to Get Away with Murder"

3.  Heath Ledger

4. Self-discovery--which is really more of an obsession right now

5.  I like to write

I had a really intense obsession with Heath Ledger's death.  It was really morbid but I was going through a really bad period of depression, so that might have been why I couldn't stop thinking about it.

veearrell

Currently, I'm very interested in finding music that has fallen into the public domain because it lacks a proper copyright notice. Ever since I found out about that loophole, I've thought it would be neat to test it by doing a short film scored entirely by stuff that you wouldn't think would be public domain, but it is. For example, one thing I found was an album of electronic synthesizer music that includes, among other things, a cover of Hey Jude. I'm sure I could find a use for that one.