Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

keionialsmith

We need advice!

keionialsmith

My middle son is 10 years old, he has been diagnosed with SLD(specific learning disability). He has recently been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder also. His doctor told us that he was also watching for Aspergers, bc he does have some characteristics. Having a great memory especially with things that we have trouble remembering. Great at math. He collects things. He does have some anger issues. And a few others, I think I'm just wondering what others think that have experienced this.... I've been told more than once that there is NO way he has that!

Pinky and his brain

Hi,

Anxiety, good memory, collecting stuff and anger issues can all fit within the aspergers spectrum. So it is possible. Being good at math, has nothing specific to do with autism/aspergers. Some people are good at math and some are not.

The anger issues can be a result of him being sensory overloaded. If he is very sensitive to light, sound, smell, taste or touch, it can lead to anger. He simply does not know how to make it stop, so he gets angry. Try to figure out what it is, that makes him angry.

Is it every time someone wants to touch him ? Not all aspies like to be touched or hugged.

Is he scared of loud noise, or do you generally live in a noisy environment ?

Do you try to make him eat stuff, that has either strong smell, taste or a very weird texture ? Some aspies don't like meat, because of the way it feels in your mouth.

The mental world of an aspie is often many times more intense, than that of an NT. We have no mental "filter" to remove stuff that overloads our minds. All sensory input goes straight to the brain and has to be processed. And if there is too much input, we get a meltdown. To strangers a meltdown can seem like a person is just behaving bad, but it is our brain trying to defend it self. We cannot shut it down.

When a meltdown happens, the best thing is to be alone in a safe and quiet place. (A place he considers safe and quiet, not you).

Hope you find out what is going on with him. Aspie or no aspie, his condition needs attention. :)

Whoknows

No way, but you see a way. Hm. :huh:

Why don't take him to a psychologist? :mellow:

A doctor is good at healing physical diseases and dealing with physical issues, but you need someone who works with mental aspects. -_-

jomiko

Hello, I'm new here and I really need help so I would really appreciate any advise, in advance thank you!

So, I'm a student in uni, in SA, and I go to a rather small university and I have a classmate that has ASD, and omg this is so hard to explain without it reading horribly...anyways, this guy really scares me, (and all the other girls in class to be honest) he has sexually assaulted two of my friends in a period of two years. He tried to undress one of the girls but she was able to stop him, and then he began to stalk her by social media and generally just follow her around wherever she went, as I was around her a lot during class time I did see him on various occasions just staring at us from behind, or hiding behind doors trying to evesdrop once or twice,he also took a fancy to  stealing stuff from her locker like a sweater, lotion and a notebook (actually we only know for sure that he took the notebook and the lotion but there are only 25 of us in the class and I seriously doubt the other students might have taken any of the stuff, and he WAS seen going through the locker by the janitor),he also somehow managed to get some of her personal information and apparently called to her house and sent my friend some rather disturbing photos some time ago...when this all got to a point where she could no longer stand it she just dropped out...

My other friend didn't have it as bad, he would follow us around and try to sneak up on us when we were alone, like if we were out having lunch or something in the hallways, or whenever any of us went to the toilet he would follow us (I even cried once when he kept doing that, I had a nervous breakdown...) he tried to follow us home and generally just very aggressively stalking us.

We tried telling him to stop several times, but I dunno why he only stopped for a few days or disregarded it completely. We told the school authorities to no avail, and then we tried contacting his family, but his mother was very protective of him, she screamed at us and accused us of spreading lies about her son and would not hear anything of it...

Lately I've noticed that his behaviour is becoming progressively more violent, yesterday he tried to grab my butt while I was passing by him in the hallway, and whenever he's frustrated he just starts punching tables or doors really really hard, swearing under his breath. I'm very scared of him and I don't know what to do, is this normal or is this dangerous?

Please help me, I don't know where else to turn, I don't know what to do, I'm scared for my friends and for me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.