Echo

Hi Peeps :)

I've started my own Welsh language YouTube channel; Aspie Cymru. On it I will be discussing Aspergers etc. and my perspective on things which are associated with autism. 

Any posts I make about this channel will remain in one topic, as to avoid cluttering and confusion.

Also, sorry for potentially posting this in the wrong thread, I wasn't sure which one to choose; couldn't  find a dedicated thread/topic for posting such content - my bad if there is :)

Anyway, this is my first video

And this is the accompanying blurb :)

Cynnig fi ar drio creu adnoddau Cymraeg ar gyfer codi ymwybyddiaeth o awtistiaeth yng Nghymru. Gobeithio fydd hyn o fudd i bobol. Unrhyw cwestiynau neu sylwadau? Gadewch nhw ar waelod y dudalen :) Diolch am wylio. Parch a heddwch x

This is my attempt at creating Welsh language resources to raise awareness about autism in Wales. I hope that this will be of some benefit or comfort etc. to people. Any questions or comments? Leave them at the bottom at the page :) Thanks for watching. Respect and peace x

It is important that resources are available in different languages (when possible) and that's one of the reasons why I have chosen to do this. It is not my intention to take over from anyone else or to "step on anybody's toes". There isn't anybody else "out there" doing this in Welsh, so I thought "why not?". So,I'm giving it a go. 

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AspieCymru/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AspieCymru1

• Helpful 9

No Longer Here

You've disabled playback on everywhere but YouTube x

Echo

You've disabled playback on everywhere but YouTube x

Ah, damn! Gimme a sec :D

Should be sorted now :) 

• Helpful 1

No Longer Here

It works now. Can't understand a word, but nice one!

• Helpful 2

Echo

It works now. Can't understand a word, but nice one!

Basically it was an into vid. This is a very loose translation for peeps :)

Hello and welcome to Aspie Cymru.

I'm Kerry and two years ago I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome; a type of autism which can also be described as The Hidden Disability o'r a spectrum condition.

Put simply, it affects how I process and make sense of the world and other people.

Seeing as Welsh language resources concerning autism etc. are very limited on YouTube, I hope to fill some of the void and help those who have an interest to learn more about the condition.

I will be covering all sorts of themes, including: sensory processing problems, local groups and services, Asperger's and women, and a lot more.

You're welcome to leave any questions or comments at the bottom of this page, I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Right, that's me done for today. Thanks for watching. Until next time, respect and peace. :)    

• Helpful 2

Kuribo [old account]

Great job on your first video. I'm sure that this will be a helpful resource for people in Wales, and I wish you the best of luck. :)

• Helpful 1

Echo

Great job on your first video. I'm sure that this will be a helpful resource for people in Wales, and I wish you the best of luck. :)

Thanks Kuribo :) After today's trial run, I need all the luck I can get :D

• Helpful 1

AutismUnrestricted

All the best!

• Helpful 2

Asgardian

Good luck Echo, I am sure you will do a great job  :)

• Helpful 1

RiRi

Sounds like a great idea. I was thinking about doing the same for Spanish, maybe like a forum, but I've not looked into it yet.  Nevertheless, great video, Echo. :) And good luck with the whole project. :)

• Helpful 3

Echo

Thanks for the show of support Peeps, much appreciated x

• Helpful 2

TheWizardofCalculus

It's good, but these are my two main thoughts:

1.) Maybe push the camera up a foot or a half foot.  It seems like it's aimed upwards, which is usually an odd angle for filming.  That may be hard, I'm not sure how your room is situated.

2.) I confess I'm a bit confused about the purpose of it being in Welsh.  I mean, I guess it does keep it local in terms of Welsh viewers, and if you want to have the channel's purpose just be for Welsh viewers (e.g. you mention local meet-ups, etc), then that makes sense.  But even then, only 19% of Welsh people speak Welsh, according to Wiki.

Echo

It's good, but these are my two main thoughts:

1.) Maybe push the camera up a foot or a half foot.  It seems like it's aimed upwards, which is usually an odd angle for filming.  That may be hard, I'm not sure how your room is situated.

2.) I confess I'm a bit confused about the purpose of it being in Welsh.  I mean, I guess it does keep it local in terms of Welsh viewers, and if you want to have the channel's purpose just be for Welsh viewers (e.g. you mention local meet-ups, etc), then that makes sense.  But even then, only 19% of Welsh people speak Welsh, according to Wiki.

Hey Funf :) 

I could certainly try pushing the camera up half a foot, any more than that and I won't be in the frame at all :) As you have probably gathered, the problem lies with my room. It is roughly, 110cm x 180cm. It looks bigger on camera because of the angle. I can assure you that the camera is level - just that my desk in the back isn't :) The visiting cat decided to jump on it, it since sinks a little in the middle. The lighting is an issue in here too. The light fixture is at a weird angle and is very bright. I can't do much about this until I get some money for cheap "hand-bashers" :) This and the fact that I have my ISO set too high, is why the background and my forehead is "burnt-out". I do agree though, the height of the camera needs adjustment. This might also help with some of the burning out issue. 

Thanks Funf :)

• Helpful 1

Echo

Sorry, forgot to address the Welsh part.

Whilst it is true that Welsh is a dying language, for lack of a better way to word it, it is my first language and I would hate to see it "die". Although the "market" is very narrow, putting it mildly, at least I'll know that I'm trying to do my part in keeping it "alive". I am not a Nationalist, but I am proud of my culture and heritage, the language being a big part of it. It is a part of me that I simply can't ignore, even if only a handful of people understand it.

As I'm volunteering to do the Welsh thing, I'm not expecting any profit from it. It is simply for the love of my culture and the fact that it is being ignored by the, supposedly, Welsh autistic community.  

However, I will be starting another channel soon, English language, which I will be monetizing. I won't go into too much detail, but it will be taking another "angle on things" and will not be classed as being  in competition with anyone else's spectrum related channel :) I need to get my head around the logistics first though. The Welsh language channel will help me practice being in front of camera to a potentially wider audience too :)       

EDIT: I know that to many on here, presenting videos in Welsh may not seem logical, but I want to point out that love, isn't always logical. You do what you feel you have to do in these circumstances.  

Edited by Echo
  • Helpful 2

RiRi

I don't know much about videos, but I found your video just fine. I'm not sure if where you place your camera makes a difference or if there's a right way of doing it, but I think wherever you want to place the camera works as long as you can see what's there?

I wanted to ask this earlier, what's cymru? 

And I know there are a couple of Welsh people on the forum so I wondered how many of them know the Welsh language? I was just curious because I think that AlzEilir, sorry to call her out, but I think she knows it and she's under 18 so I find it kind of odd that she'd know it if the language is dying out. From what I know, when a language is dying out it's usually newer generations that don't know the language  all together.

A suggestion for your channel from me would be that maybe you can include the English subtitles as you speak or even both on the video? Maybe that way people who don't know the Welsh language could also be included and maybe learn a word or two in Welsh? :)

• Helpful 1

Echo

I don't know much about videos, but I found your video just fine. I'm not sure if where you place your camera makes a difference or if there's a right way of doing it, but I think wherever you want to place the camera works as long as you can see what's there?

I wanted to ask this earlier, what's cymru? 

And I know there are a couple of Welsh people on the forum so I wondered how many of them know the Welsh language? I was just curious because I think that AlzEilir, sorry to call her out, but I think she knows it and she's under 18 so I find it kind of odd that she'd know it if the language is dying out. From what I know, when a language is dying out it's usually newer generations that don't know the language  all together.

A suggestion for your channel from me would be that maybe you can include the English subtitles as you speak or even both on the video? Maybe that way people who don't know the Welsh language could also be included and maybe learn a word or two in Welsh? :)

Cymru = Wales in Welsh. And, yes, AlzEilir is a fluent Welsh speaker :)

I'm not too concerned about the room layout/what's in the frame as I can't really do much about it. I have a new camera that I'm learning how to use. I am also really new to both photography and filming. So, bear with me peeps :) I'll try to include as many of your suggestions as possible. I can try subtitling or including an English version of the transcript below the videos. Appreciate that this is a fairly big undertaking though :) 

• Helpful 2

RiRi

Cymru = Wales in Welsh. And, yes, AlzEilir is a fluent Welsh speaker :)

I'm not too concerned about the room layout/what's in the frame as I can't really do much about it. I have a new camera that I'm learning how to use. I am also really new to both photography and filming. So, bear with me peeps :) I'll try to include as many of your suggestions as possible. I can try subtitling or including an English version of the transcript below the videos. Appreciate that this is a fairly big undertaking though :)

Cool. :) Thank you for the definition. I'm still wondering if other Welsh members are fluent as well. :P 

Going a bit off topic, did you receive bilingual education in Welsh and English? Or at least the earlier years? Because I've found that often times when an individual isn't taught the language in school that they mainly just understand and somewhat speak the language, but can't write it. However, I've noticed that both you and AlzEilir can also write it, not just speak and understand it. So it makes me think that you both received some kind of education on it.

Oh, okay. That's good that you're not too concerned about the room layout. No worries about film and photography. I don't know much about photography or film either, but think it looks pretty professional at the moment. I like the font and the speed of the letters. The audio's good as well. You've done a great job, according to me.

• Helpful 1

Echo

Cool. :) Thank you for the definition. I'm still wondering if other Welsh members are fluent as well. :P 

Going a bit off topic, did you receive bilingual education in Welsh and English? Or at least the earlier years? Because I've found that often times when an individual isn't taught the language in school that they mainly just understand and somewhat speak the language, but can't write it. However, I've noticed that both you and AlzEilir can also write it, not just speak and understand it. So it makes me think that you both received some kind of education on it.

Oh, okay. That's good that you're not too concerned about the room layout. No worries about film and photography. I don't know much about photography or film either, but think it looks pretty professional at the moment. I like the font and the speed of the letters. The audio's good as well. You've done a great job, according to me.

Fighting a meltdown at the mo. Will answer properly later x

• Helpful 1

RiRi

Fighting a meltdown at the mo. Will answer properly later x

Oh no :( how come? What's wrong? I hope you're okay.

Edited by Makelets

Echo

Oh no :( how come? What's wrong? I hope you're okay.

I'm ok. Not thinking clearly enough to type a message to answer your previous questions. Still a bit mind jumbled post meltdown. Bed didn't arrive today, tomorrow instead. I have been waiting for a month and three days to sleep in my own room. This is the room I go to when I try to stop my meltdowns. I'll explain later. I'm off to sleep. X

• Helpful 1

RiRi

I'm ok. Not thinking clearly enough to type a message to answer your previous questions. Still a bit mind jumbled post meltdown. Bed didn't arrive today, tomorrow instead. I have been waiting for a month and three days to sleep in my own room. This is the room I go to when I try to stop my meltdowns. I'll explain later. I'm off to sleep. X

It's okay, no worries. I'm glad you're okay. Thank you for the update. That really sucks that the bed didn't arrive today. :( I hope you feel better tomorrow.

storm-petrel

You sound really lovely in that video even though I can't understand a word of it.

I'm not good at languages at all. I would love to be able to speak some Welsh or Scottish Gaelic. They are such beautiful languages. I have enough trouble with English though! Good luck with your YouTube channel.

• Helpful 1

Echo

I had a bilingual education. Mostly delivered through the Welsh medium. There was hardly any English in what we call primary school, we learnt how to speak English from books, television programs and from other peers. In secondary school, the ratio of Welsh to English changed from about  9:1 to 7:3 (if this makes sense). This is still mostly the case in North West, Wales. I don't know much about South Wales and other parts of the country, but Welsh is used by more people than the figures suggest and a large number of people here have studied Welsh, either as a first or as a second language up to GCSE year (16yrs old). However, I think that to a lot of people,Welsh is the language that you use at school. You don't use it at home and may decide never to use it again after leaving for college/job etc. Having said this though, there are a large number of jobs around here that you can only do (essential requirement) if you are fluent in Welsh.

The way I see it is, take away my language and you disable me even more.  

• Helpful 2

Alex

Hey Echo, watched your video the other day and just wanted to say well done! It seems like you've put a lot of thought and effort into it. It definitely shows. Also, I thought you looked very confident in front of the camera actually.

I'm sure this wil prove useful for a lot of peeps out there  :) Good luck, my friend!

• Helpful 2

Echo

Thanks again Peeps for the show of support.

Scrapping my next video to rerecord it. I thought of more to add to it and want to record it all in one take to edit; continuity. However, it will have to wait for a day or two. My new bed has arrived and it is luxury. I slept so heavily in it last night that I mouth-breathed the whole night. Now I have a sore throat :D  

• Helpful 2