Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

(deleted)

Hypersensitivity vs Hyperawareness

(deleted)

I have recently been considering the question of how much we notice things because of increased sensory sensitivity and how much it is because of increased sensory awareness. I see a difference here.

I have written about it at my blog: https://micheal65536.wordpress.com/2015/12/17/hypersensitivity-vs-hyperawareness/

Nesf

I agree with what you wrpote in your blog. I don't think that my hearing is better than anybody else's, in fact it is deteriorating as I get older, I think that I notice sounds that others don't hear because it is harder for my brain to to tune them out and quite simply, I pay attention to them. I also think that sound is somehow distorted for me, I perceive some frequencies as being a lot louder than others, and that's why things like motorbikes, screeching car brakes, children shouting, can seem so loud. I have also always had very acute vision, being able to pick out more details at a greater distance than most. Unfortunately this is also beginning to deteriorate... I'm getting old :(

Ben

People think that I'm slightly deaf, when I am in fact, the complete opposite of that. I hear literally everything at such an acute level, that I can't filter sounds out. It can be quite frustrating. 

RiRi

I can relate to this. I also can't have a conversation while there is too much background noise. When talking on the phone and there is too much noise going on, I cover the ear which is not on the phone and when possible, I use the speaker. I can't filter out the background noise.

Nesf

People think that I'm slightly deaf, when I am in fact, the complete opposite of that. I hear literally everything at such an acute level, that I can't filter sounds out. It can be quite frustrating. 

I've had people tell me that I have hearing problems, too. My boss at a place I used to work at once called me into the office and told me that I should go to see a doctor because she thought I had hearing problems. Afterwards, I thought about that a lot (I didn't know I had AS) and came to the conclusion that the problem was not that I could hear badly, but on the contrary, that I could hear extremely well, too well, adn that was stopping me from being able to hear what people were saying to me.

Now I don't think I can hear better than anyone else, I think that it's a processing problem, that I can't tune out unwanted sounds, and I also have a slight audio processing delay, so sometimes I don't process the sounds immediately on hearing so I don't respond quickly, and that makes people think that I haven't heard.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.