Sofi

Speech

Sofi

Rather than using up another thread talking about speech and I don't *think* there is another thread for speech, I created this one. On the other thread, I was talking about how I couldn't speak until roughly age 7 and I still sometimes have trouble with speech. I also know some children with Aspergers talk earlier than average and have more advanced speech earlier. 

I am self concious about my voice because I know I have trouble with it. 

Heather

Good topic Sofi!  :)  I did not have speech delays when I was young.. at least none that were so significant that my parents picked up on them.. but I was an extremely shy child and I think that contributed to a slower language development as I got older.. not too sure though.  I know presently I still have troubles sometimes.. I sometimes mumble, especially when I'm not fully comfortable with what I'm saying.. or am not fully sure of it.  Also I have trouble pronouncing words sometimes.  I am not so great at reading out loud sometimes and feel like my speech is all over the place and varying tones and pitches and sounds so horrible.  Other times I feel better or fine, probably in more common situations and things.

Around the time of my diagnosis at age 16, I did have a few meetings with a speech pathologist lady that my school arranged but the lady was extremely busy so she couldn't meet as often as would have been good.  I didn't even realize I had much trouble speaking until she first talked to me to examine my speech or something.  I think sometimes I am also in a hurry to say something and I mush words together or skip a word.. or use the wrong word.  Sometimes it happens when I'm starting to think of something else I want to say as I'm currently speaking.. lol :P

Overall I think I'm okay but other times I just hate speaking so much.. it's tiring.. and especially combined with the difficulty to describe thoughts and emotions and feelings in speech sometimes... which is related I think and also related to AS and autism I think.

Sofi
Good topic Sofi!   :)  I did not have speech delays when I was young.. at least none that were so significant that my parents picked up on them.. but I was an extremely shy child and I think that contributed to a slower language development as I got older.. not too sure though.  I know presently I still have troubles sometimes.. I sometimes mumble, especially when I'm not fully comfortable with what I'm saying.. or am not fully sure of it.  Also I have trouble pronouncing words sometimes.  I am not so great at reading out loud sometimes and feel like my speech is all over the place and varying tones and pitches and sounds so horrible.  Other times I feel better or fine, probably in more common situations and things.

Around the time of my diagnosis at age 16, I did have a few meetings with a speech pathologist lady that my school arranged but the lady was extremely busy so she couldn't meet as often as would have been good.  I didn't even realize I had much trouble speaking until she first talked to me to examine my speech or something.  I think sometimes I am also in a hurry to say something and I mush words together or skip a word.. or use the wrong word.  Sometimes it happens when I'm starting to think of something else I want to say as I'm currently speaking.. lol :P

Overall I think I'm okay but other times I just hate speaking so much.. it's tiring.. and especially combined with the difficulty to describe thoughts and emotions and feelings in speech sometimes... which is related I think and also related to AS and autism I think.

That's interesting. I know what you mean that speaking is tiring, combined with the difficulty of not even knowing what to say! Sometimes, it's easier to just not speak as it's such an effort and if  I am feeling especially anti social, there's really no desire to talk.

I feel as if I struggle to get each, individual word out and as if I can't breathe at the same time as talking so I get out of breath and breath strangely at the same time. Well, you have heard me talk, but I think I do okay in those sorts of situations because I'm in my house and familiar environment. It all goes a bit bad in a public place, from being anxious about that! I've never had a problem understanding your voice either... apart from internet connectivity issues, not voice issues! 

I should have mentioned in my first post (I was struggling what to put in it!) that I saw a Speech and Language Therapist from age 4 of diagnosis to around age 11. Then, I continued to attend group SALT sessions with a few others in my class. SALT, for me, also included stuff on identifying emotions in pictures and widening vocabulary, and at a young age, it was practicing my sign language as an alternative communication. 

I, also, should have included that I used to use a lot of alternative communication aids when I did not talk as a child - PECS, talk 32, big and mini macs etc. Nowadays, there's a lot of apps for this, kind of like digitization of PECS but I don't know how well that works. I still think the traditional PECS is easier, especially for kids. I liked sign language a lot. 

My SALT taught me to talk, I don't remember too much of this apart from her saying the first sound of words and I said the first sound, then struggled with the rest of the word, although I could 'say' it well in my head. I know when I was just learning to say words properly, I used to talk a lot with just sounds and nobody could understand me, my mum told me that. I guess the same as a toddler learning to talk, except I was seven..... 

Heather

That's interesting. I know what you mean that speaking is tiring, combined with the difficulty of not even knowing what to say! Sometimes, it's easier to just not speak as it's such an effort and if  I am feeling especially anti social, there's really no desire to talk.

I feel as if I struggle to get each, individual word out and as if I can't breathe at the same time as talking so I get out of breath and breath strangely at the same time. Well, you have heard me talk, but I think I do okay in those sorts of situations because I'm in my house and familiar environment. It all goes a bit bad in a public place, from being anxious about that! I've never had a problem understanding your voice either... apart from internet connectivity issues, not voice issues! 

I should have mentioned in my first post (I was struggling what to put in it!) that I saw a Speech and Language Therapist from age 4 of diagnosis to around age 11. Then, I continued to attend group SALT sessions with a few others in my class. SALT, for me, also included stuff on identifying emotions in pictures and widening vocabulary, and at a young age, it was practicing my sign language as an alternative communication. 

I, also, should have included that I used to use a lot of alternative communication aids when I did not talk as a child - PECS, talk 32, big and mini macs etc. Nowadays, there's a lot of apps for this, kind of like digitization of PECS but I don't know how well that works. I still think the traditional PECS is easier, especially for kids. I liked sign language a lot. 

My SALT taught me to talk, I don't remember too much of this apart from her saying the first sound of words and I said the first sound, then struggled with the rest of the word, although I could 'say' it well in my head. I know when I was just learning to say words properly, I used to talk a lot with just sounds and nobody could understand me, my mum told me that. I guess the same as a toddler learning to talk, except I was seven..... 

I think it's harder to speak in social situations too sometimes because it's unfamiliar as well as more anxiety.  I am thinking right now of times when I have been somewhere or even at home sometimes, and I have so much to say but feel under pressure on how much time I have to say it or how to say it properly that I can't say it and it feels like so difficult to say it.. almost exhausting as you say.  And days I feel particularly anti social are bad for that too.  I think any time I feel I have to explain a concept.. it seems so simple in my head yet seems like I have to use so many words to get it out of my head and I can't even describe it properly!  But that's more to do with the difficulty to describe thoughts in words.. which is still similar.

It's interesting and good you had so much help with your speech then.  I have seen a few apps nowadays for "non-verbal" kids.  This just reminded me of when I helped out at this summer camp for kids with autism and other learning disabilities. (The lady in charge helped me with my anxiety but since I was older, I was classed as a "helper").  There were a couple "non-verbal" kids there I believe.  Not that that's particularly interesting, I just thought about it.

spiderwoman0_2

Well even though I'm not on the spectrum, I have trouble pronouncing a few words (some of which I just can't say them) and I stutter a bit when nervous or having to explain something.

Harry went to a speech therapist at 3 for about a year and then they visited him at home and school until he was around 7.

Willow never had any problems.

iggy

I did not have a language delay, but I did have trouble using language when I first started school. I have been told I used to walk up to teachers and whisper at them if I needed something, and I didn't start talking until year 2 or 3, and later than that to answer questions. I was just seen as shy though, nothing else.

Toran

Ive always had trouble with my speach and cant seem to pronounce my words right people dont always understand what im saying. As far as I know its not related to AS but I cant pronounce words with Rs in them for some reason. Sometimes are worse than others its really frustrating and gets me all anxious and worked up but whether its to do with the syndrome ive no idea.

Toran
Well even though I'm not on the spectrum, I have trouble pronouncing a few words (some of which I just can't say them) and I stutter a bit when nervous or having to explain something.

Harry went to a speech therapist at 3 for about a year and then they visited him at home and school until he was around 7.

Willow never had any problems.

Out of interest are any of the words you have trouble with begin with R ?

Nesf

I'll post what I wrote in the other thread here, and then expand on it.

"I have no idea what age I learnt to talk at. I can only assume had normal speech development, otherwise it would have been picked up on my father. i was living with my grandparents, but they were very protective and possessive of me. They feared my father coming and taking me away from them. I wouldn't put it beyond them to hide and cover up problems with me from my parents; they had done things like that in the past. I think my father would have noticed it if I wasn't speaking, though.

Talking has never been my thing, though. not because i lacked the ability, but because it's such an effort. People with AS are supposed to talk a lot, but I don't. I can't."

I don't think I talked early, or my father would have mentioned that to me, too. What was picked up on was that I had a very wide vocabularly for my age, and I think I learnt to read very early. I was extremely shy, aloof and withdrawn. I find it very hard to talk for long periods of time, and I find it takes a lot of energy and it's so much easier not to talk and let others do the talking. This is one of the reasons I don't want to go to social gatherings on my own, if at all - I go with another person so this person can take the burden of talking and focus of attention away from me, and I will just withdraw into my own world and not speak or interact unless someone speaks to me.

The neuropsychiatrist who diagnosed me said my speech was "stilted" in the report he wrote. I don't know what he meant by this, but it indicates that I do have some problem. The voice inside my head sounds normal to me, but I don't know how I sound to other people. I have problems organising my thoughts when I speak, and tend to say things all jumbled up and in the wrong order. Others have told me that I have a flat monotone voice, and that I talk too quietly. When I speak in a conversation, others don't hear me or don't understand me, and ignore me.

Sometimes I can't get my words out. I either can't think of the word I need - it doesn't come to me, particularly in times of stress or panic. I was once very distressed a couple of months ago and mum couldn't get a word out of me and called the doctor. It was too much to handle, the intense feeling of being stressed and having to speak to my mum.

Another time I was taking my sister's little dog out for a walk. The dog wandered into the middle of the road just as a car came speeding round the corner. I opened my mouth to shout her name but it just didn't come out. It was very frightening as the dog could have been run over. I don't know whether these things are AS related, or whether they can happen to anyone.

Sofi
I don't think I talked early, or my father would have mentioned that to me, too. What was picked up on was that I had a very wide vocabularly for my age, and I think I learnt to read very early. I was extremely shy, aloof and withdrawn. I find it very hard to talk for long periods of time, and I find it takes a lot of energy and it's so much easier not to talk and let others do the talking. This is one of the reasons I don't want to go to social gatherings on my own, if at all - I go with another person so this person can take the burden of talking and focus of attention away from me, and I will just withdraw into my own world and not speak or interact unless someone speaks to me.

The neuropsychiatrist who diagnosed me said my speech was "stilted" in the report he wrote. I don't know what he meant by this, but it indicates that I do have some problem. The voice inside my head sounds normal to me, but I don't know how I sound to other people. I have problems organising my thoughts when I speak, and tend to say things all jumbled up and in the wrong order. Others have told me that I have a flat monotone voice, and that I talk too quietly. When I speak in a conversation, others don't hear me or don't understand me, and ignore me.

Sometimes I can't get my words out. I either can't think of the word I need - it doesn't come to me, particularly in times of stress or panic. I was once very distressed a couple of months ago and mum couldn't get a word out of me and called the doctor. It was too much to handle, the intense feeling of being stressed and having to speak to my mum.

Another time I was taking my sister's little dog out for a walk. The dog wandered into the middle of the road just as a car came speeding round the corner. I opened my mouth to shout her name but it just didn't come out. It was very frightening as the dog could have been run over. I don't know whether these things are AS related, or whether they can happen to anyone.

I know exactly what you mean about when in a stressful situation, losing the ability to speak. I do that too, where I just seem to stop talking. It's as if I forget talking is something that is possible, it's just forgotten about. This is called 'selective mutism'. It was written in one report I got at school.

I also seem to forget talking is something that is done, in a social situation. I think if I hear someone talking to me, it doesn't really occur to me to speak back, but it's just something I've learnt that I should probably respond, to be polite! 

With the thing where people with AS/Autism talk a lot, I know I am guilty of that sometimes, despite all my inhibitions with talking. If I am talking about an interest (Greece, or a game) I will be able to go on about it for ages, but I rush it and it probably doesn't make much sense to people. I only really do that to my mum, because I'd have to be comfortable enough talking to the person.