Sofi

Speech

Annaflower
I hate using the phone, but if I have managed to gather enough courage to actually do it, and then I get an answering phone, I just hang up quickly. Then if I actually do need to speak to them/let them know something, I will call back and have prepared what to say on the answering phone, but I usually get it completely wrong, and then feel annoyed. Or, they'll answer this time and I was just expecting it to ring until the voice message thingy. Ugh!
Part of my job is to make phone calls and I always prepare what I am going to say before I make the call. If I have to answer the phone or make a call quickly then I often get my words in a muddle and then replay the mistake over and over in my head for ages afterwards! I get this flash of embarrassment every time I think of it that makes me clench my fists and cringe!

Toran
An answering machine is a good idea to receive calls and you don't want to talk, but I don't like talking to them, I always hang up if I find one.

A lot of people do but if it was an emergency or somebody who needed to leave important information you could still get it without the need to answer the phone.

Willow
Part of my job is to make phone calls and I always prepare what I am going to say before I make the call. If I have to answer the phone or make a call quickly then I often get my words in a muddle and then replay the mistake over and over in my head for ages afterwards! I get this flash of embarrassment every time I think of it that makes me clench my fists and cringe!

I am the same with being embarrassed about my mistake, and feeling that way everytime I think of it for a while after! :(

Toran

I try not to think on my mistakes if I can it causes a lot of problems that you cant change because its done so if you have to dont think of the mistake just the solution be positive at least thats what my councillor says.

mary

Rather than having problems with speech I think I had trouble shutting up!! ;)  *yes, this is a joke!*

My mum tells me that I said my first words when I was around 6 months old and her words 'I've never shut up since!'.  When I asked her how long it was before I spoke properly she said I was talking like a 'little grown up' by the time my brother arrived when I was 21 months old.

While I guess that means I never had much trouble speaking, I don't esp like to hear myself.  I HATE leaving messages on answer machines and feel very self concious.  I am ok at talking on the phone these days, although I don't tend to do it at home, because I've had to do it so much at work all these years.

I do admit to forcing myself to talk to people though.  If I'm out I make sure I try to speak to at least a few people, even if it's just the person on the till or whatever. 

I know that I'm very lucky not to have had any problems in this area, and for that I really am grateful.

Sofi
Rather than having problems with speech I think I had trouble shutting up!! ;)  *yes, this is a joke!*

My mum tells me that I said my first words when I was around 6 months old and her words 'I've never shut up since!'.  When I asked her how long it was before I spoke properly she said I was talking like a 'little grown up' by the time my brother arrived when I was 21 months old.

While I guess that means I never had much trouble speaking, I don't esp like to hear myself.  I HATE leaving messages on answer machines and feel very self concious.  I am ok at talking on the phone these days, although I don't tend to do it at home, because I've had to do it so much at work all these years.

I do admit to forcing myself to talk to people though.  If I'm out I make sure I try to speak to at least a few people, even if it's just the person on the till or whatever. 

I know that I'm very lucky not to have had any problems in this area, and for that I really am grateful.

Having trouble 'shutting up' can be an AS thing as well though. It can be both extremes really. 

I can have trouble 'shutting up' too, depending on the situation. If I'm talking about a Greek mythology story, I'll go on and on, or a game. 

When I was teenager, my mum told me I used to tap strangers on the shoulders when out and start listing off facts about Pixar. It doesn't seem like something I'd be comfortable doing - talking to strangers, but I guess I just had an urge to talk about an obsession, I'll talk to anyone! I don't really know if I'd do that nowadays though, I've learnt that it's probably not a good idea to say weird things to strangers!

Toran

I am both really if im with people I dont know or in public then I hardly say anything but if its on a subject I know and have a passion about I cant shut up either I go on and on. It seems the situation dictates what im like as I can be both quite quickly after one another its crazy when you think about it.

Sofi
I am both really if im with people I dont know or in public then I hardly say anything but if its on a subject I know and have a passion about I cant shut up either I go on and on. It seems the situation dictates what im like as I can be both quite quickly after one another its crazy when you think about it.

Yes, that's the same with me. It depends a lot on the situation, or depends how I am feeling. Although, I am not often in a lot of different situations these days, just at home. Sometimes, I just don't feel like talking, or I forget about talking. The thing with not shutting up is quite rare for me these days. 

iggy

I don't shut up online. I could type pages and pages if the topic got me interested, but in real life I would never voice these thoughts I get to people, or at least not in half the detail I think them through in my head.

mary
Having trouble 'shutting up' can be an AS thing as well though. It can be both extremes really. 

I can have trouble 'shutting up' too, depending on the situation. If I'm talking about a Greek mythology story, I'll go on and on, or a game. 

When I was teenager, my mum told me I used to tap strangers on the shoulders when out and start listing off facts about Pixar. It doesn't seem like something I'd be comfortable doing - talking to strangers, but I guess I just had an urge to talk about an obsession, I'll talk to anyone! I don't really know if I'd do that nowadays though, I've learnt that it's probably not a good idea to say weird things to strangers!

Haha indeed it can be.  When I was little I think I was happy talking to people I knew.  I know for a fact they were trying to get me through school a bit quicker because I was speeding through my stuff and had a higher than average reading age... I went to an interview type thing, really young too I was, and the guy had glasses and a beard, so apparently I wouldn't speak to him except to provide polite answers to his questions.  They then said I couldn't be put up a grade or two because I was 'socially immature'.  My mum argued with them that I was obviously not comfortable with people who were hiding their face and that we'd all been taught about 'stranger danger' but it didn't matter, I wouldn't be put up a grade.

Interestingly though and maybe going off on a tangent, when I was little I wasn't great with people with glasses or beards.  Apparently one of my uncles saw me after not seeing me for some time and I screamed and could not be consoled.  He had a beard and it was mentioned to him that it may be because of that.  He straight away went and shaved it off and apparently I went straight to him quite happily and gurgled away as if nothing had been the matter.

I have this image of a 'little Sofi' now going up to people and talking to them about Pixar... that's well cute! :)   I guess for lots of us, if you get us in the right mood, we may be liable to talk to people we don't know, as long as we feel comfortable.