RiRi

How Do You End a Phone Call?

RiRi

Ending a phone call, such as what to say or do is something I struggle with. Currently, what I do when ending a phone call is say "thank you, bye." Even if it's less formal, I've found myself saying "thank you for calling." Then, it just becomes really awkward of not knowing who hands up. I feel like it's rude to just hang up without saying "thank you and bye." But it feels so awkward to me to say especially if they've thanked me as well. When someone says "have a nice day" I find it so weird and awkward to say "you too" so I say "same," but I think that sounds weird to them. lol Even saying "same" makes me feel awkward. I'm not sure if this is an aspie related thing. But I always pay attention to whether I was rude and whether it was awkward so on top of thinking about what was discussed, I'm left thinking about this.

How do you end a phone call such that it's the least rude possible? What's considered rude to you when ending a phone call?

Primeape

It depends who is calling or who i am calling i think if its someone in a company (e.g internet company) i am calling then if they say have a good day im like "thanks bye"

If its a friend or family member they say got to go now im like "bye see you soon" and they say see you soon too

L Lawliet

Do you mean calls to strangers? I can't stand phones I'm never good with them. If it's a stranger I say "Ok that's great, thank you for your help, bye" All depends on the conversation of course but you can use that for hairdressers and things :)

RiRi

Thanks for the responses.

@DebzMata08: Do you just hang up after saying "thanks bye"? I feel bad to press the end call button. :lol: For friends/family members, it can be really awkward sometimes. When they say "thank you for talking, it's nice talking to you" or something like that. I return a compliment and then it just becomes awkward. :lol:

@L Lawliet: Yes, I mean mainly calls with strangers like from a company. Do you just hang up after you say "Ok that's great, thank you for your help, bye"? That feels awkward to be to press the end call button. :lol:

Primeape

Yeah i just put the phone down when i say that :lol:

L Lawliet

It's more like this:

Me: "Ok that's great, thank you for your help"

Them: "No problem, thank you"

Me "Thanks, bye"

Them: "Bye"

*Hang up*

Most conversations end like that and it works fine for me.

Marmite

I mainly get spam so as soon as they say "Hi im julie" speaking in an indian accent "this is technical help UK, our records show there is a virus on your computer" I reply "I know there isn't, goodbye" and put phone down, sometimes I don't say anything and hang up.

(deleted)

This has to be the thing that I struggle with most. Usually I pass the phone to mom -_- .

Edited by invisible

Nesf

Actually, I have the opposite problem. I find that the other person nearly always hangs up before I'm done with the conversation. Then I feel frustrated because I didn't finish what it was that I wanted to say. I think I don't realise that the other person wants to end the conversation, they end it, and it takes me by surprise because I wasn't expecting them to end it, I was still talking and hadn't finished. I always used to think that I wasn't one of those aspies who talk a lot and bore people, but perhaps I am and don't realise it. I often struggle to explain things over the phone, I tend to over-elaborate and over-explain, or talk too much about something, then the other person gets bored and wants to end the conversation, but I don't notice that. This doesn't come across here, because I'm writing and I have time to think about what I'm going to say, compose and organise my thoughts, write it, edit bits out if I'm rambling too much, but in real life it shows.