Willow

Do You Ever Worry You Don't Have Aspergers?

Sanctuary

I think rejection is hard for anyone to deal with but it may hit people with AS harder - we may tend to more "thin-skinned" and often have problems such as depression and anxiety which make dealing with rejection more difficult.

Gone away
7 hours ago, Fighter101 said:

Why is rejection so hard to deal with from someone?

I suppose if we are not in the habit of doing it to others - we don't understand whats happening ... especially during younger years.
I don't think I have much issue with constructive criticism ... but blatant rejection when untoward / misguided / corrupt - is too much to process and can have a devastating impact on cognitive processes and hence lifes path .
A lot of things can be influenced for the better by processing things in a way that 'sits right' with us... it can take a while ...

RiRi

I sometimes worry about whether I'm not autistic. Sometimes it's a brief thought. Like what if this is just a set of behaviors that people decided to call autistic? I know that's what it seems like it is, but if there was no label then I wouldn't be autistic and just be the set of behaviors. I wonder about the possible people out there who might be autistic because they have these set of behaviors but just go about their life knowing that they struggle with certain things, just that they don't have the label. Maybe they know about it and don't think they're autistic or maybe they don't know about it. 

Sometimes I wonder if I got the wrong diagnosis, but I quickly realize that of course I'm autistic.

I wonder if worrying that we're not autistic is like an autistic trait because it seems like many of us have worried about this. Or maybe autistic people just worry about things more than others?

Nesf
11 hours ago, RiRi said:

I wonder if worrying that we're not autistic is like an autistic trait because it seems like many of us have worried about this. Or maybe autistic people just worry about things more than others?

I think that this anxiety or uncertainty is a part of autism, as we don;t always know where we stand with other people and where we fit into the world.

Gone away

Its odd really.
Periodically we can worry that we are not autistic, yet in public worry that we are seen as autistic. 

Athkaraye
On 19/05/2013 at 4:09 PM, Sofi said:

I don't think I ever worry this :( I usually look at other people on the spectrum and think they are much more higher functioning than me and then I feel really autistic. I wish I could be more like them, but it's okay. Everyone is different. 

ah same!!! though most of my traits go unnoticed by my peers because i kinda hold it all in till I'm alone, and then deal with it all. so people often presume i simply don't have these traits because they only see one side of me.

Dr-David-Banner
On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Gone away said:

Its odd really.
Periodically we can worry that we are not autistic, yet in public worry that we are seen as autistic. 

It took me time to discover the autism that Asperger studied is not the same as Lorna Wing's "Asperger Syndrome". Many people don't consider A.S. to be autism at all. It's time to consider that Lorna Wing named a more modern definition "syndrome" after a doctor who actually deal with plain autism (but not mentally impaired people). Evidently the reason.A.S. was removed as a diagnosis recently is there was huge disagreement over the "is it autism?" debate. Personally I think Wing's derived diagnosis is valid but I think calling it Asperger Syndrome confused a lot of people. The actual patients of Asperger did stuff like eat paper, rock back and forth, showed aggression, needed special classes or may have bordered schizophrenia. They were also clever in music or sciences. In short you have Wing's derived diagnosis applied to those who often showed little signs of autism.  Then you have the original psychopathy which is based on autism. The very first term ever used as far back as the 1920s was ШИЗОИДНАЯ ИЗБЕГАТЕЛЬНАЯ АУТИСТИЧЕСКАЯ ПСИХОПАТИЯ by the Russian Jewish psychiatrist Grunya Zukhareva. This is schizoid avoidant autistic psychopathy. Not to worry though as you can have most of the symptoms without being autistic which is what Wing discovered. Paul Cooijman is worth reading for the modern diagnosis.

CaspiaTaschia

I often wonder about having Asperger's. I don't have an official diagnosis, and in my position, it wouldn't be worthwhile going to the expense of getting one. I assume I have it because of how different I am from everyone, and how many symptoms I have. I've done research on it since I've had the internet, and feel that nothing else could put so much of my life into perspective. Especially my childhood. I was aggressive, socially frustrated, and still can't eat peanut butter, among other things. I've come to accept that I'm not stupid, I'm just different. How demoralizing it can be to blame oneself for issues created by a condition. It's part of understanding who I am, and if I don't have it, then what else can it be? A nagging doubt arises: am I just unexplainably stupid? Is this my fault, not autism's?
But hey, I'm not gonna let this ruin my life. Asperger's helps me understand myself, but it isn't all that I am.

Dr-David-Banner

If you can get hold of Asperger's original paper it is very helpful. The second essay is the more direct for symptoms with case description. It is not a huge paper and long winded parts can be skipped. All the symptoms are described with emphasis on information processing and (lack of) personal interaction.