Willow

Do You Ever Worry You Don't Have Aspergers?

Nesf
Ive searched the internet and come up with this information. If you are not working now but have an official diagnosis of aspergers you must tell your potential employer before you take the job. To quote the statement I read if you disclose it after and are working the employer would be within their rights to show you the door. It doesnt work the same if your in employment at the time and have a diagnosis. I never knew that fact Im just making it known for those that didnt know also.

That's useful information. also if you are already in employment they don't have the right to dismiss you or discriminate against you in any way because of your diagnosis.

Toran
Yes, I am waiting for a date, but that will probably take some time so I am going to return to work in the meantime and see how things go

Yes I agree, because before Ient on the sick and I was having problems, those very things you mention were on my mind. I was thinking that people must be thinking I'm lazy and also wondering why I was not responding when certain people were talking to me. I was powerless to do anything different and also very confused myself.

But I also agree with Nesf and I have to be careful who I tell until I know whether it is ASD or Social Phobia etc.

Totally agree you have to be very careful how you handle it and be sure your approaching it right its a difficult one to do in the right way.

My councilor who isnt at the autism centre also mentioned social issues but I dont believe it in my case. Ive been like it since earliest memorys and as im 47 now ive developed my own way of coping that a young child cant do so you have to try and forget the coping mechanisms you have developed otherwise they wont see you how you really are thats a dilemma all older aspies are going to face.

Toran
That's useful information. also if you are already in employment they don't have the right to dismiss you or discriminate against you in any way because of your diagnosis.

Thats right at least we have some protection in our current jobs so that is some comfort while we are going through these tests at the moment. Doesnt sound good for people looking for work or if we are made unemployed but its the law.

Toran
Hope the waiting list to get diagnosed where you are isn't as bad as it is now, down here! I think it's about a year between getting referred & getting to see somebody for a diagnosis here....

Thats terrible if my authorities are as good as their word I should be tested around june or july about a five month wait roughly and I thought that was really bad didnt know how lucky I was.

Xmas
Hope the waiting list to get diagnosed where you are isn't as bad as it is now, down here! I think it's about a year between getting referred & getting to see somebody for a diagnosis here....

I know, it is slow process and I should have got things moving sooner. But I kept putting off going to my GP about it because I did not know how to begin describing what I was going through.

Totally agree you have to be very careful how you handle it and be sure your approaching it right its a difficult one to do in the right way. My councilor who isnt at the autism centre also mentioned social issues but I dont believe it in my case. Ive been like it since earliest memorys and as im 47 now ive developed my own way of coping that a young child cant do so you have to try and forget the coping mechanisms you have developed otherwise they wont see you how you really are thats a dilemma all older aspies are going to face.

Yes I agree - but you would think that somehow a psychiatrist would be aware of these coping mechanisms that we use and see them as part of the problem because as you well know, they are just superficial. Perhaps I am expecting too much from the professionals.

Toran
I know, it is slow process and I should have got things moving sooner. But I kept putting off going to my GP about it because I did not know how to begin describing what I was going through.

Yes I agree - but you would think that somehow a psychiatrist would be aware of these coping mechanisms that we use and see them as part of the problem because as you well know, they are just superficial. Perhaps I am expecting too much from the professionals.

I think the trouble is they get taught one way and thats it and if we dont fit in that then naturally we dont have it. I mentioned my coping mechanism but she didnt seem to think its relevant but may be wrong but thats how it seemed to me but she isnt at the autistic centre so maybe those there do take it into consideration I guess will just have to wait and see but I dont have much faith to be honest.

Xmas
I think the trouble is they get taught one way and thats it and if we dont fit in that then naturally we dont have it. I mentioned my coping mechanism but she didnt seem to think its relevant but may be wrong but thats how it seemed to me but she isnt at the autistic centre so maybe those there do take it into consideration I guess will just have to wait and see but I dont have much faith to be honest.

I think my main objective is to try and keep working and keep my job safe. But if I have got ASD I need to know as it will strengthen my position if things go pear-shaped again. And on a lighter not I would rather be called an aspie than a social misfit or recluse lol!

Toran
I think my main objective is to try and keep working and keep my job safe. But if I have got ASD I need to know as it will strengthen my position if things go pear-shaped again. And on a lighter not I would rather be called an aspie than a social misfit or recluse lol!

I see your point there its better to have a reason for your own piece of mind at least and to strenghen your position cant do any harm to your situation and maybe you may get some understanding and thought from them as well.

Andy

Do I ever worry I don't have Asperger's? Nope because I haven't got Asperger's despite having a diagnosis for such. Oh sure Asperger's was seen by one clued up in it and perhaps looking for it, where what I have is known to be autism like but it's not autism as with it comes attention deficit stuff and dyspraxia. The result is sometimes Asperger's is there plain and simple but other times it is not and people wonder how I ended up with an AS diagnosis, but AS coping strategies don't work for me which might be expected bearing in mind despite having a diagnosis of AS, I don't have AS.

And I do live in total confusion where no one is able to help because they don't know what to do with autism like but not autism.

But I have a theory that the AS component comes out strongly with mood shifts of which I believe the mood shifts are chemical imbalances and not necessarily in the brain although the brain sees them and orders the creation of them based on what it sees.

Toran
Do I ever worry I don't have Asperger's? Nope because I haven't got Asperger's despite having a diagnosis for such. Oh sure Asperger's was seen by one clued up in it and perhaps looking for it, where what I have is known to be autism like but it's not autism as with it comes attention deficit stuff and dyspraxia. The result is sometimes Asperger's is there plain and simple but other times it is not and people wonder how I ended up with an AS diagnosis, but AS coping strategies don't work for me which might be expected bearing in mind despite having a diagnosis of AS, I don't have AS.

And I do live in total confusion where no one is able to help because they don't know what to do with autism like but not autism.

But I have a theory that the AS component comes out strongly with mood shifts of which I believe the mood shifts are chemical imbalances and not necessarily in the brain although the brain sees them and orders the creation of them based on what it sees.

I can see why you feel like you do but you have the knowledge of ylu personally need. Does it matter what people think because what they say and do doesnt effect you and you dont listen to them . This would give me peace of mind to be so sure and know whats wrong with me so I could work on an answer for myself and take no notice of those that dont know or care about me and the condition I have.