Mimo

Grocery Stores!

Mimo

How do you all deal with the craziness that is grocery shopping? As if the noise, lights, smells and congestion is not enough. They never seem to have the items on my list!

Recently I started wearing ear plugs with whatever music I'm in the mood for. That helps some. But I also just discovered another grocery store a little bit further away that is a little less congested, is more likely to have my items and doesn't blare the music quite as loudly. I think that might be our new grocery store!

What else do you all do?

King_oni

Go when the store just opens... which usually is 8 am here. No waiting lines, no crowds. I can hurry and get out as soon as possible. As for not having the items in stock; find another store.

As for music; luckily stores here don't do that, though in German supermarkets, they sometimes blare through the speakers... but it's not constant so it's tolerable.

What I found, and that's probably just me; I often go with friends for groceries (which makes it easy so I don't have to carry all my stuff since I don't own a car) and it gives me a good distraction to joke around a bit and make the experience a lot more fun for both me and my friend.

Nesf

I live in a small town, so the supermarkets here never get very busy, except around public celebrations. In supermarkets, my biggest enemy is queues - and people recognising and wanting to talk when I just want to be left alone, or people tapping me on the shoulder to catch my attention, small kids shouting, things like this. I avoid going to the supermarket at peak times, avoid Saturdays when the schools are out and it's busier, wear headphones and play music.

Mimo

That is always my goal to get to the store first thing Saturday morning, but between the physical and emotional nature of my job and my on going health and pain issues I just can never finish my grocery list on time let alone have the energy to get up at a decent hour. That's probably part of the problem. By the time we get to the store I'm already on edge because we are "off schedule". I often struggle with have realistic plans and/or expectations. It's a work in progress!

Gone away

I often go in the last 30min before closing. Its quiet, the store is closing so there is natural time pressure to get in and out and there are usually knock down offers (especially breads). Sometimes I'll go in the afternoon if it seems quiet. I rely on 'spidey sense' to decide. :D.

There's a selection of stores within walking distance (I prefer to walk with rucksack for a daily shop) and more within a short drive. I have a parka coat with snorkel which is great for invisibility missions ... but the weather needs to be right to avoid looking silly.

Years ago I noticed that I would automatically start whistling complex improvisations upon entering a store and while shopping ... Once self aware of this l tried hard to stop, but after probably 25 years of doing it found the effort to stop (though interesting) was more trouble than it was worth. At the time I didn't know why I did it. Now I realize it was a natural effective blocking mechanism.  Earphones are good too, as is company

RiRi

Lately, I've not been going to the store because I absolutely hate it. Like others, when I've gone, I've gone at night or early in the morning. Whenever I go, I want to get out of there as soon as possible, so I rush things. I just want to go for what I'm going for and then come back. Every time I go, I feel like everyone's watching me and how awkward I carry out myself. If I go, I can't go by myself or be left alone, especially if it's a new store because I'll get anxious and get lost in the store. I hate it when there's a lot of people and bagging the stuff is always a hassle. When I first found out I was autistic, just putting stuff on the black belt or whatever it's called, was a hassle because there's usually a lot of things that need to be bought and just putting the stuff on it was a hassle. Once, there was a couple right in front of me and I tried to just put everything one by one. I wasn't making any eye contact, but I felt like they were looking so I glanced a bit and I made eye contact with the girl who then smiled, but it felt so awkward. I felt like she realized how awkward I was. I try to put as many items as I can on the black belt nowadays. Some experiences I've had at the grocery store are just awful. I also don't like when the cashier asks, "Did you find everything ok?" or "How are you?" ? I wish I didn't start a small talk when there and just charged things. I don't usually wear earphones because I feel like I might miss something, I'm basically not used to them. Same thing with wearing sunglasses. 

Edited by Makelets

Gone away
12 minutes ago, Makelets said:

just putting stuff on the black belt or whatever it's called, was a hassle

If I have to use them, I normally just turn the basket upside down on the belt ...saves a lot of messing around :)

Otherwise I prefer the self service where you scan your own ...

RiRi
4 minutes ago, Going home said:

If I have to use them, I normally just turn the basket upside down on the belt ...saves a lot of messing around :)

Otherwise I prefer the self service where you scan your own ...

I usually use a cart so I can't do that, but once I had one of those baskets and the cashier rudely turned my basket upside down. I thought she was a total bitch, I think maybe she got tired of me putting stuff one by one, but I had no idea that we should do that. Now, that you've mentioned it, actually, I just realized we are supposed to do that. (Edit: most of the time I lack common sense so I don't know things we are supposed to do. I wish I had more common sense). Not all stores here have self-service and the ones that have them suck and usually it malfunctions and I need to have the person in charge unlock it a couple of times. Also, when buying veggies, I'm not sure if you can self-check out?

Edited by Makelets

Gone away
3 minutes ago, Makelets said:

when buying veggies, I'm not sure if you can self-check out?

You can here ... it does take time to get used to the foibles of self checkout ... used to drive me crazy, but I prefer it now (by-passes the social interaction).

I've never seen anyone else turn the basket upside down ... thought it was just me... I'd be pretty narked if the shop worker did it though as you need to remove squashables first

RiRi
2 minutes ago, Going home said:

You can here ... it does take time to get used to the foibles of self checkout ... used to drive me crazy, but I prefer it now (by-passes the social interaction).

I've never seen anyone else turn the basket upside down ... thought it was just me... I'd be pretty narked if the shop worker did it though as you need to remove squashables first

That's nice, hopefully in the future they have a self-check out system that works for everyone. Maybe they will since a lot of things nowadays involve less social interaction. :) Perhaps the cashier who turned my stuff upside down was just a bitch then. :lol: I thought the same as you, what if I had something in there that was easily breakable/fragile/etc..