Mimo

Grocery Stores!

King_oni
46 minutes ago, Going home said:

If I have to use them, I normally just turn the basket upside down on the belt ...saves a lot of messing around :).

Try doing that with a shopping cart and watch peoples reactions ;)

Lefki

You should see the pubic market we have in Greece. Maybe @Nesf knows the correct word for it (you know what I mean the "λαϊκή αγορά"). There are huge tables outdoors with fruits, vegetables, clothes, flowers, fish etc and the salesmen are screaming so loud in order to attract customers and there are many people with rolling bags and they walk really fast and sometimes they gather in front of a table and they all touch the food and they push each other etc etc.... This is the worst. Thankfully, my boyfriend or my mother when I am at my parents' house do the groceries. I like supermarkets though but only when there are not crowded. In general I prefer doing all my shopping through internet. 

Mimo
1 hour ago, King_oni said:

Try doing that with a shopping cart and watch peoples reactions ;)

Haha! That would be fun! I love watching other people's reactions sometimes! In college I used to walk through the entire store with a big cheesy grin on my face just to see what people would do.  I got some pretty interesting reactions. I'm not sure what exactly they were expressing but the looks on their faces were entertaining at the least!

I love self check out but usually I just have way too much stuff. But I do try to request that I bag my own groceries. I may not be as fast as the baggers in the store, but I know how heavy to pack the bags and I like stuff to be a certain way. I use a collection of reusable bags and I like certain items in certain bags. One day if I ever have time, I'm going to make myself a nice set of bags all labeled for raw meat, produce, etc. But for now I try to request that I bag my own groceries. Sometimes I am too shy and I don't know how to request it without being rude. Then I end up griping all the way home because they didn't do it right!

The life of an Aspie!

storm-petrel

I love shopping for food providing the store isn't too busy and I can get everything I want in one shop. I can't stand having to go to several different places for stuff. I tend to ignore my local village shop which always seems to be somewhat chaotic, as do the larger supermarket chains.

Instead I use a small, north of England supermarket chain (Booths). I like food to be well presented even on the shop shelves, rather than just piled high, so I can spend lots of time looking at everything carefully and thinking about what I might make with it. I usually go early in the morning when it is quiet. It's a bit more expensive than most supermarkets, but I'm a bit obsessive about food and cooking, and selecting what I want and thinking what I might do with it is part of the experience.

The other thing about my local Booths is the checkout operators tend to be very friendly and patient. They seem to employ a lot of older people or people who are a bit different in some way. I think at least one of them is an Aspie. Oh, and they don't have an annoying public address system. I seldom come away from a food shop there feeling overwhelmed except when it is really busy. 

Nesf
10 hours ago, Lefki said:

You should see the pubic market we have in Greece. Maybe @Nesf knows the correct word for it (you know what I mean the "λαϊκή αγορά"). There are huge tables outdoors with fruits, vegetables, clothes, flowers, fish etc and the salesmen are screaming so loud in order to attract customers and there are many people with rolling bags and they walk really fast and sometimes they gather in front of a table and they all touch the food and they push each other etc etc.... This is the worst. Thankfully, my boyfriend or my mother when I am at my parents' house do the groceries. I like supermarkets though but only when there are not crowded. In general I prefer doing all my shopping through internet. 

Yes, there's a "λαϊκή αγορά" once a week where I live, and I rarely go there, I don't like it very much. And they want you to buy in whole kilos, they don't like it if you ask for half a kilo of something. So I use the local greengrocer's. Then in the local small small shops you have the problem of people smoking in the shops. I hate this, people shouldn't smoke in public places. I don't go in if I see someone smoking inside. But I often don't go in anyway, I feel awkward and they often expect some sort of interaction beyond just asking for the items that you need, small talk or something. And I hate the feeling of being watched while in a shop. I don't use the small local stores for this reason. Often I can't make myself go in. So I mainly go to the big supermarket. There, social interaction is not demanded or expected beyond "good day" and "thank you".

I have a thing about not using a shopping cart. Firstly, they rattle and squeek and make a lot of noise. They are hard to manoever. And then, at the checkout they insist that you put the items back in the cart rather than straight into plastic bags, which annoys me, because it creates more work. I'm really fussy about putting things on the belt on the right order, so the heavy things are on the bottom, so tipping things straight from the basket is just not an option for me. Where I live, there is no self-service checkout.

People use wayyyy too many plastic bags. I've even seen people use a separate bag for each item, when 3 or 4 items could easily go into one bag.

I HATE people wanting to push in front of me because they have only about 3 items, but I have 10. Having fewer items is not a valid reason for jumping the queue. The cashiers are so fast and efficient at their job that it's literally a matter of a few seconds difference between having 3 items and 20 items, but people just copy what they see others doing, get away with it, find it convenient and then it somehow it becomes an accepted thing, when it's actually wrong. Needing to catch a bus, or be on time for an appointment IS a valid reason, but have a few items less is NOT. Grrr. Ok, rant over now :)

Pinky and his brain
4 hours ago, Nesf said:

People use wayyyy too many plastic bags. I've even seen people use a separate bag for each item, when 3 or 4 items could easily go into one bag.

Don't they have to pay for those plastic bags ? :o

I think if they had to pay, what we pay for a plastic bag up here, they would change their behaviour. If I remember right, a single plastic bag, thin quality, will cost you 0.60€ here. So people don't use more than they need. I know 0.60€ doesn't sound like much, but if you use several bags every time you shop, it will cost you a lot.

RiRi

@Lefki the λαϊκή αγορά you've describe sounds a lot like a Farmer's market or Flea market, but I'm not sure if it's the same though. @Nesf I also try to put what's heavy first so that when I bag them the heavy stuff is underneath. 

Little Guy

I use self-checkout whenever possible! :D

I also started ordering a lot of dry goods through Amazon which means I hardly ever need the cart. :o

However, when I have to checkout I find if I say something nice to the cashier I feel better.
And they never actually listen ... it's like verbally petting an puppy.<_<

Alice

I have a list, use tally marks to count up the cost, often wear headphones and use-self checkout.

Lately Ive been having trouble because Ive gone at really busy times without thinking, OR the other major is when I pick up an item not on my list that I want - it throws me off, what I thought it would add up to, and I get really overwhelmed, forget to tally, forget items, make eye contact. I nearly threw my stuff down and left, or just end up walking in circles around aisles a few extra times because I dont know what to do. Obviously I could do anything but its like my brain shuts down and refuses to be reasonable. The supermarket people im sure think im strange - a lot of them smirk at me when they see me.

Im going to take peoples advice and go first thing in the morning.

Alice
On 3/4/2016 at 5:43 AM, Little Guy said:

verbally petting an puppy

:D